BASES Digest - February 2, 2015

1 view

BASES Team

Feb 2, 2015, 5:06:05 PM2/2/15
to steven...@stanford.edu

Welcome to the BASES Digest! We are excited to bring you your weekly email digest summing up the best events and opportunities happening in and aroun

Digest

Welcome to the BASES Digest!

We are excited to bring you your weekly email digest summing up the best events and opportunities happening in and around the Stanford entrepreneurship community. We look forward to bringing entrepreneurial events and opportunities to your inbox! Please look forward to the digest weekly in your inbox.

To keep up with the latest on BASES, check out the BASES Blog!

Best,
Arushi
BASES Branding

Want more frequent BASES news and job opportunities? Sign up for the BASES mailing list.

What to publicize your event? Email us!

***

In This Issue:

Events for Students and the Community

Alon Cohen, Co-founder and President of Houzz, Speaking at ETL
European Entrepreneurship (ME421) European Market Entry Strategies: 3D Printing & B2C
Gut Feeling - Is Bacteria Analytics the Key to Personalized Medicine?
SF's Mission-Driven Startup Showcase
Products That Count: KISSmetrics Founder on How to Create Better Products Faster

Opportunities for Students

Stanford Students Sign up for TreeHacks!
TomKat Center for Sustainable Energy Summer Internships
Apply for Summer@Highland Capital!

Opportunities for the Community

Sign up for "Sparks” Classes Related to Entrepreneurship and Innovation
STVP is Hiring a Program Manager
Khosla-backed company, Even, Looking for Their First Engineer
Technical Lead for Stanford Alum Startup in Delhi/Gurgaon or SF Bay Area

***

Events for Students and Community

Alon Cohen, Co-founder and President of Houzz, Speaking at ETL

Wednesday, February 4 | Stanford - NVIDIA | 4:30 PM

Alon Cohen is the President and co-founder of Houzz, a platform for home remodeling and design, bringing together both professionals and homeowners via mobile, local and social tools. Alon and his wife and cofounder, Adi Tatarko, started Houzz out of challenges that they faced during their own remodeling process. Earlier in his career, Alon was a Senior Director of Engineering at eBay, where he helped start eBay's developer APIs and manage technology teams responsible for eBay Stores, ProStores, advertising and analytics. Before that, he worked in various other software development roles and founded a software company together with his wife. Alon graduated Cum Laude from Tel Aviv University with a Bachelor degree in Mathematics and Computer Science and an MBA.

About ETL: Featuring talks from leaders in technology, business, finance, education and philanthropy, the DFJ Entrepreneurial Thought Leaders Series continues to educate and inspire. Presented by the Stanford Technology Ventures Program and BASES. Please visit etl.stanford.edu for more information.

European Entrepreneurship (ME421) European Market Entry Strategies: 3D Printing & B2C

Monday, February 2 | Stanford - Hewlett 201 | 4:30 PM

We present two senior executives from leading New York- and Silicon Valley-based startups (3D printing and B2C e-commerce) that are currently entering | expanding into the European market. Our speakers will discuss 'lessons learned', why and how they entered Europe, costs and benefits of expanding in Europe, contrast some of the different approaches and channels used, and offer advice to Valley tech firms who plan to move 'across the pond' and beyond the North American market in the next year.

About European ETL

Learn about the startup and venture capital scene in Europe; meet leading European founders and investors. This course provides rare exposure to leading startups, entrepreneurs and venture funds from Western, Eastern, Nordic and Mediterranean Europe. Students will also learn about the key differences in startup and innovation ecosystems between Europe and Silicon Valley.

The course will be taught during Winter Quarter for 1 unit. It will take place on Mondays from 4:30-5:45 pm at Hewlett 201. Offered by the Dept of Mechanical Engineering, ME421 is open to grads and undergrads, no pre-requisites, S/NC grading.

For more information, visit our website here

Gut Feeling - Is Bacteria Analytics the Key to Personalized Medicine?

Tuesday, February 17th | Stanford Graduate School of Business - CEMEX | 6:00 PM

Instead of eradicating bacteria, scientists and entrepreneurs have entered a race to develop tools and datasets that uncover the role microbes play in human health.

Advances in DNA sequencing and big data allow us to analyze bacteria like never before. Companies that focus on the microbiome could transform multi-billion dollar concerns like weight loss ($60B), probiotics ($30B), cosmetics, dental health, and even chronic diseases like diabetes. Will microbiome analysis change modern medicine? Is the money in sequencing, analytics, or drug development?

Join us on February 17th as our panelists and demo companies seek to answer these questions. Register Here. Complimentary Code (Stanford Student ID Required): STANFORD2015FEB

Please feel free to reach out to outr...@vlab.org if we can help answer any questions.

SF's Mission-Driven Startup Showcase

Thursday, February 5 | San Francisco | 6:30 PM

The SF Social Good for Profit Meetup is happy to invite you to a night of innovation and progress. We will showcase five of San Francisco's most ingenious startups that are using business as a force for good:
* Bee Line Reader
* Open Label
* Ruly
* Social Code
* The Bayview Boom

Join us to get a sneak peek to these exciting startups, their mission and path to success and for great networking with other people interested in making the world better through business and tech.

For more information and to RSVP, click here

Products That Count: KISSmetrics Founder on How to Create Better Products Faster

Wednesday, February 25 | Yelp | 7 PM

How do you know what to build next? Co-founder of KISSmetrics Hiten Shah shares best practices to make sure you are doing the right things at every stage of your business using customer feedback and your own point of view to create better products faster. Plus beer and yummy pizza!

Tickets here
Early bird tickets

***

Opportunities for Students

Stanford Students Sign up for TreeHacks!

TreeHacks is Stanford's national hackathon.

On February 20th, BASES is bringing the most talented programmers, designers, tinkerers and creators to Silicon Valley. Join your peers for 36 hours of bringing crazy ideas to life. You take care of creating. We'll take care of you.

All current university students are welcome to register here to attend TreeHacks. There is no application needed for Stanford students. Sign up now!

For more information, visit our website

Apply for Summer@Highland Capital!

Summer@Highland is a startup accelerator which helps the next generation of student entrepreneurs build their companies over the summer. For the 2015 season selected teams receive:
* $20K investment
* free office space
* opportunity to leverage the network and experience of the Highland partners

Over the last seven years, Summer@Highland has helped 45 teams go on to build companies like Cloudflare, Handy, Wellframe, and Wildfire. Members of the program have gone on to raise over $230M in aggregate venture capital and have built businesses acquired by the likes of Dropbox, Google, and Oracle.

Check out the video on our website to hear from some of our previous teams themselves - recognize any of these faces? The Summer@Highland blog is also a great resource to see what we did during our most recent session.

TomKat Center for Sustainable Energy Summer Internships

Are you passionate about Sustainability or Renewable Energy?

The TomKat Center for Sustainable Energy is working with several exciting sustainable energy start-up companies to help recruit talented Stanford students for PAID summer internship positions. The objectives of the summer internships are for students to gain work experience, develop applied engineering knowledge, learn entrepreneurship in a start-up environment, and build upon their academic studies.

See the summer 2015 positions

Applications are due by February 16, 2015

***

Opportunities For The Community

Sign up for "Sparks” Classes Related to Entrepreneurship and Innovation

STVP Sparks are short-term, extracurricular “pop-up classes” on a variety of topics related to entrepreneurship and innovation. Taught by Stanford adjunct faculty or a member of the local entrepreneurial community, each Spark consists of three night sessions, one night a week for three weeks. This makes Sparks an excellent way to expand your entrepreneurial mindset without adding course units

Upcoming Sparks:

Giving Rise to Thunderlizards: What Legendary Startups Look Like Before They Make It Big
with Ann-Miura Ko, Co-Founder & Partner, FLOODGATE
February 4
7:00 – 9:00 pm

From Founding to Funding: Evolving Startup Organizations
with Dan Berkenstock, Co-founder, Skybox Imaging, Inc.and Dan Dorosin, Partner, Fenwick & West LLP
February 3, and 10
7:00 – 9:00 pm

Students, staff and faculty are encouraged to sign up. For more information and to register online, visit stvp.stanford.edu/sparks

STVP is Hiring a Program Manager

STVP is hiring a Program Manager to lead recruitment efforts at Stanford for the NSF’s Innovation Corps (I-Corps). Funded by the National Science Foundation, I-Corps and its regional nodes offer education and research programs to accelerate the commercialization of science and technology entrepreneurship nationally.

The Program Manager will be responsible for recruiting industry mentors and Stanford faculty and student teams to participate in I-Corps programming. We are participating in this effort through the I-Corps’s Bay Area node, which is a collaboration between Stanford, Berkeley, and UCSF.
You can view the description on Stanford Careers here

Khosla-backed company, Even, Looking for Their First Engineer

Khosla-backed company named Even is looking to bring on their first engineer. The mission is to unlock the cycle of poverty with a product that can free up the mindspace of the unbanked and underbanked population. Check out this Mediu post for more information

Technical Lead for Stanford Alum Startup in Delhi/Gurgaon or SF Bay Area

We are now looking for a 'Technical Lead' with deep software product development experience on both web and mobile platforms (ideally both backend + frontend and enterprise + consumer applications). Location: Preferable in Delhi/Gurgaon, India or SF Bay Area, US (may be considered for the right candidate). This is a great opportunity to make an impact on people's lives and get in the foundation of an exciting young company with a role that provides you immense amount of responsibility as a key member of the leadership team.

If this sounds like a good fit to you or someone you know, please feel free to share and send your portfolio and cover letter at niti...@stanfordalumni.org

About the Company
We are a technology startup currently in stealth mode with a focus to help improve healthcare in India. Our diverse team in India and US comprises of talented and dedicated folks with deep backgrounds in business, medicine, engineering, law etc. who have significant professional work experiences with reputed organizations such as PwC, Merrill Lynch Bank of America, VC fund, Freescale etc. as well as silicon valley startups and are alums from premier institutes such as Stanford University, AIIMS, IIT, BIT, NSIT.

email facebook twitter
1px
©2015 BASES | Business Association of Stanford Entrepreneurial Students, All rights reserved.
Web Version   Forward   Unsubscribe

BASES Team

Feb 2, 2015, 5:07:14 PM2/2/15
to son...@stanfordalumni.org