World Congress of Cycling Science

Jason Moore

Jul 13, 2015, 10:52:52 PM7/13/15
to Single Track Vehicle Dynamics
I just came across this conference:

http://www.kent.ac.uk/wcss2014/

I didn't know it existed. Thought I'd share.

Andrew Dressel

Jul 29, 2015, 6:02:10 PM7/29/15
to st...@googlegroups.com
Dear Colleague,

The third triennial international three-day symposium on bicycle and motorcycle dynamics, BMD 2016, will be held at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, on Wednesday through Friday, September 21-23, 2016.

The aim of this symposium, as before, is to bring together leading scientists, engineers, and researchers in the field of bicycle and motorcycle dynamics and control, in a broad sense. The format of the symposium is a single track of presentations and ample time is scheduled for interaction, informal discussions and idea sharing. In addition there will be room for poster presentations.

Topics include, but are not limited to: bicycles, motorcycles, unicycles, monowheels, modeling, kinematics and dynamics, control, human control, rider properties, handling qualities, tires, experiments, aerodynamics, simulators, nonholonomic dynamics, robot riders, path following, etc.

We invite you to participate in this symposium and to submit an abstract for an oral or poster presentation about your recent work in the field of this symposium.

Further information about this symposium, registration information, deadlines, and abstract submitting facilities will be available soon at the website: http://bmd2016mke.org. Although symposium fees have not been finalized yet, we intend to keep costs in line with past symposiums.

For those of you unfamiliar with this venue, Milwaukee and Wisconsin have a considerable concentration of two-wheel product development and manufacturing operations, being the home of Harley-Davidson Motorcycles, Trek Bicycles, Hayes/Manitou, Waterford Precision Cycles and Pacific Cycles to name a few. There are also five engineering schools in the region.

The UWM conference center is within easy walking distance of several hotels, many restaurants, the Harley-Davidson Museum, the Lake Michigan shore, the Milwaukee Art and Natural History Museums, and the Milwaukee Intermodal Station. From here, the train ride to Chicago is just 90 minutes.

For planning purposes, please let us know at your earliest convenience whether you intend to accept this invitation by emailing directly to in...@bmd2016mke.org

We look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards,

James Brendelson, Harley-Davidson Motor Company
Andrew Dressel, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee
James Sadauckas, Harley-Davidson Motor Company

Chairmen BMD 2016

Andrew Dressel

Feb 26, 2016, 4:09:53 PM2/26/16
to st...@googlegroups.com
Woo Hoo! Look what our Stephen did.

The mysterious biomechanics of riding – and balancing – a bicycle
The physics of staying upright on a bicycle
Thursday, February 25, 2016 - 09:50
Stephen Cain, University of Michigan

Stephen Cain

Feb 26, 2016, 4:50:27 PM2/26/16
to st...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for sharing the article, Andrew.

I was asked to write the article for The Conversation (original here: https://theconversation.com/the-mysterious-biomechanics-of-riding-and-balancing-a-bicycle-55093) to coincide with the publication of our paper in PLoS ONE (http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0149340) -- hopefully I've represented our research community well!

-Stephen