A. The love of God in Christ
God's love is a huge concept that has been at the center of my personal walk for the past year.
The scripture we looked at in Colossians 1:19 is a good summary of God's love: For God was pleased to have all His fullness dwell in Him and through Him to reconcile Himself in all things on earth and heaven by making peace through His blood shed on the cross. I believe this and know this to be true, but am working on really understanding/believing His gift and love for me in a deeper place.
I've read the scripture that talks about God adopting us as His children many times before, but they jumped out at me in this study and brought me another step closer to understanding/accepting His love for me. The 1 John passage says, "How great is the love the Father has lavished on us that we should be called children of God and that is what we are." The love for a child is something I can understand. A parent's love for his or her child is so intense, so passionate, unconditional, never ending, words can't begin to describe it. So if I turn that and know that is how God loves me, it brings me to my knees.
It reminds me of one of the first times God truly spoke to me. Hannah was 4 or 5, we were riding our bikes to the lake by our house. She was in front of me when I was flooded with love just looking at her tiny precious body joyfully peddling down the path. Completely overwhelmed with love I said to God, "Look at her, she is so beautiful!" Suddenly I felt God behind me, gazing at me in love just I was gazing at Hannah and I heard Him say, "That is how I feel about you."
B. How does that intersect with His disciples and children and What does it look like to have Christ's love flow through us?
I think the scripture we looked at for this study tells us to love and serve each other just as He loves and serves us. I like the passage in 1 John that tells us to love with actions, not just words.