organizing work

mike

Feb 26, 2009, 10:27:47 PM2/26/09
to Study-HTDP
OK as one goes through htdp; one accumulates numerous exercises and
defined functions
that may need to be referred to in yet later exercises. What i done
was to construct my files
according to chapter/subsections; so any hints from the community on
how they organize their
work in order to make it easier to refer to previous exercises of
functions without having to open
other files?
thanks, mike

Grant Rettke

Feb 26, 2009, 10:49:02 PM2/26/09
to Study-HTDP
On Feb 26, 9:27 pm, mike <anesw...@mac.com> wrote:
> OK as one goes through htdp; one accumulates numerous exercises and
> defined functions that may need to be referred to in yet later exercises.

Yes.

> What i done was to construct my files according to chapter/subsections;

I try to place all of the functions for a section in the same file.
There are files
for 1, 2, 3...

> so any hints from the community on how they organize their
> work in order to make it easier to refer to previous exercises of
> functions without having to open other files?

My understanding is that the ability to load functions into one file
from another
file is not part of the HtDP curriculum.

Basically unless you put most of the code in one file, you will be
copying and pasteing.
one file

Geoffrey S. Knauth

Feb 27, 2009, 4:20:33 AM2/27/09
to study...@googlegroups.com
On Feb 26, 2009, at 22:27, mike wrote:
> any hints from the community on how they organize their work in
> order to make it easier to refer to previous exercises of functions
> without having to open other files?

I keep all my code for HtDP in a directory together, e.g.,

htdp/
htdp/code/02-01-01-explore.ss
htdp/code/02-01-02-tan.ss
htdp/code/02-02-01-temperature.ss
[...]

When I need something, I grep through the sources from within Emacs
and grab what I need. The *grep* buffer lets me see at a glance all
the files that reference something I've built before. I often use
Emacs side-by-side with DrScheme.

mike

Feb 27, 2009, 11:29:27 PM2/27/09
to Study-HTDP
Thanks Geoffrey and Grant; and Geoffrey , this shows my general
ignorance but
i had never heard of Emacs until now so i googled it and though i
don't plan
to use it in the near future; it is an incredible piece of software
mike