simple challenge

mike

Oct 26, 2008, 8:41:28 PM10/26/08
to Study-HTDP
Has anybody tackled the "simple challenge" problem of section 10.1 .
There seems that there is no sound.ss teachpack and i an having
difficult time solving it . Any "minimal" hints would be appreciated.
mike

Grant Rettke

Oct 26, 2008, 10:43:54 PM10/26/08
to Study-HTDP
I completed exercise 10.1.9, but didn't use the sound teachpack, or
complete the sound challenge.

mike

Oct 27, 2008, 12:03:38 AM10/27/08
to Study-HTDP
Ok , is the input of problem 10.1.9 (controller a b c) where a b c are
digits and distinct inputs to the function? or is it (controller abc)
where abc is one number?

Grant Rettke

Oct 27, 2008, 12:44:43 PM10/27/08
to Study-HTDP
Hi Mike,

I replied to this yesterday, but I see that Google Groups ate
it...hmmmf.

To answer your question, in problem 10.1.9 I follow the latter
approach.

Here are some of my unit tests if that is of interest:

(check-expect (controller 100)
(cons 1 (cons 'dollar (cons 'and (cons 0 (cons 'cents
empty))))))
(check-expect (controller 101)
(cons 1 (cons 'dollar (cons 'and (cons 1 (cons 'cent
empty))))))
(check-expect (controller 102)
(cons 1 (cons 'dollar (cons 'and (cons 2 (cons 'cents
empty))))))
(check-expect (controller 200)
(cons 2 (cons 'dollars (cons 'and (cons 0 (cons 'cents
empty))))))

mike

Oct 27, 2008, 2:22:25 PM10/27/08
to Study-HTDP
Hi Grant
Thanks for the reply. I did solve the simple challenge problem but
without
the sound.ss teachpack. Dr. Felleisen had the sound file that was
downloaded
but I was not able to activate it for some reason (Probable error on
my part).
The simple challenge problem was interesting in that one had to build
alot of
functions first and then incorporate them into the main function body
using
cond.
Hopefully other forum participants will start posting insights and
their thoughts
as we progress through the book
mike

Grant Rettke

Oct 27, 2008, 2:47:30 PM10/27/08
to Study-HTDP
On Oct 27, 1:22 pm, mike <anesw...@mac.com> wrote:
> The simple challenge problem was interesting in that one had to build
> alot of functions first and then incorporate them into the main function body
> using cond.

That has been a topic of discussion, that of just how granular the
functions should be decomposed.