Slackware audio production and "/etc/rc.d/rc.cpufreq".

globetrotterdk globetrotterdk

Jun 12, 2018, 5:20:54 AM6/12/18
to Studioware
This seems to be the only place that I can get a response on audio production and Slackware, so while this isn't directly Studioware related, I hope the list members will still consider this relevant. I have read on a thread that I unfortunately have not kept a link to, that when doing audio production, it is a good idea to run # /etc/rc.d/rc.cpufreq with either "performance" or "ondeman". I just can't remember which command is for audio production and which is for "normal" use of the system.

I am trying to set up my Slackware 14.2 system with the Studioware audio section installed. I want to be able to use Renoise and Reaper with some of the Studioware programs (using Jack and Patchage). I have looked at the Renoise requirements:

Renoise for Linux has the following dependencies:

GCC 4.X libs, X.org 7.1+, preferably real-time kernel

  • libstdc++6 – GNU Standard C++ Library 4.2 or newer
  • X.org 7.1 – X Windows System 7.1 or newer
  • libasound2 – ALSA library 1.0 or newer

Note that when running on a 64-bit Linux environment, 32-bit compatible equivalents of the above dependencies should be installed

Being new to audio production on Linux and Slackware, I am wondering if a fresh Slackware 14.2 install fulfills these requirements. Renoise seems to run fine, but I know that Slackware uses a newer version of the GCC libs, and there is no mention of "GCC 4.X +" or "newer". Likewise, I am wondering about the need for installing 32-bit libraries to create a 32-bit compatible system if I am running everything in 64-bit so far. That would only be if I feel the need to use 32-bit LADSPA or VST plugins, wouldn't it?

David Woodfall

Jun 12, 2018, 5:52:10 AM6/12/18
to in...@studioware.org, Studioware
Hi

On Tuesday 12 June 2018 02:20,
globetrotterdk globetrotterdk <globetr...@gmail.com> put forth the proposition:
> This seems to be the only place that I can get a response on audio
> production and Slackware, so while this isn't directly Studioware related,
> I hope the list members will still consider this relevant. I have read on a
> thread that I unfortunately have not kept a link to, that when doing audio
> production, it is a good idea to run # /etc/rc.d/rc.cpufreq with either
> "performance" or "ondeman". I just can't remember which command is for
> audio production and which is for "normal" use of the system.

For audio production you want the CPU to run without any kind of
throttling at all, so you would want 'performance' as the scaling
governor for audio production.

For normal use you would use either 'ondemand' or 'powersave'
depending on the version of your kernel/acpi modules. To find which
of those is available you can do:

cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_available_governors

eg mine outputs 'performance powersave'

> I am trying to set up my Slackware 14.2 system with the Studioware audio
> section installed. I want to be able to use Renoise <https://renoise.com> and
> Reaper <http://reaper.fm> with some of the Studioware programs (using Jack
> and Patchage). I have looked at the Renoise requirements:
>
> Renoise for Linux has the following dependencies:
>
> GCC 4.X libs, X.org 7.1+, preferably real-time kernel
>
> - libstdc++6 – GNU Standard C++ Library 4.2 or newer
> - X.org 7.1 – X Windows System 7.1 or newer
> - libasound2 – ALSA library 1.0 or newer
>
> *Note that when running on a 64-bit Linux environment, 32-bit compatible
> equivalents of the above dependencies should be installed*
> Being new to audio production on Linux and Slackware, I am wondering if a
> fresh Slackware 14.2 install fulfills these requirements. Renoise seems to
> run fine, but I know that Slackware uses a newer version of the GCC libs,
> and there is no mention of "GCC 4.X +" or "newer".

libstdc++ is provided by the gcc-g++ which is at version 5.5.0 at the
moment, with a .so version of 6.0.21.

"libstdc++6 – GNU Standard C++ Library 4.2 or newer" refers to that.

> Likewise, I am wondering
> about the need for installing 32-bit libraries to create a 32-bit
> compatible system if I am running everything in 64-bit so far. That would
> only be if I feel the need to use 32-bit LADSPA or VST plugins, wouldn't it?

Yes, the only things that need 32 libs (plus wine) are the VST
plugins. I don't know about 32 bit ladspa plugins though - we have
some, but the ones we have compile for both arches.

-Dave

--

The game, anoraks.2.0.0.tgz, will be available from sunsite until somebody
responsible notices it and deletes it, and shortly from

.--. oo
(____)//
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~'

Brian Durant

Jun 12, 2018, 9:33:06 AM6/12/18
to studi...@googlegroups.com

On 06/12/2018 11:52 AM, David Woodfall wrote:
Hi

On Tuesday 12 June 2018 02:20,
globetrotterdk globetrotterdk <globetr...@gmail.com> put forth the proposition:
This seems to be the only place that I can get a response on audio
production and Slackware, so while this isn't directly Studioware related,
I hope the list members will still consider this relevant. I have read on a
thread that I unfortunately have not kept a link to, that when doing audio
production, it is a good idea to run # /etc/rc.d/rc.cpufreq with either
"performance" or "ondeman". I just can't remember which command is for
audio production and which is for "normal" use of the system.
For audio production you want the CPU to run without any kind of
throttling at all, so you would want 'performance' as the scaling
governor for audio production.
Thanks.

For normal use you would use either 'ondemand' or 'powersave'
depending on the version of your kernel/acpi modules. To find which
of those is available you can do:

cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_available_governors

eg mine outputs 'performance powersave'
My one laptop does the same, which would have been my next question.

[...]

Ah, understood.

Likewise, I am wondering
about the need for installing 32-bit libraries to create a 32-bit
compatible system if I am running everything in 64-bit so far. That would
only be if I feel the need to use 32-bit LADSPA or VST plugins, wouldn't it?
Yes, the only things that need 32 libs (plus wine) are the VST
plugins. I don't know about 32 bit ladspa plugins though - we have
some, but the ones we have compile for both arches.

Sounds good.

Brian