Anyone else have this problem?

johnny

Nov 30, 2009, 12:37:34 AM11/30/09
to STUDIOELECTRONICS
Hi there,

I may have bought my SE-1 off of ebay, but Iw as wondering if anyone
else has had the same problem as me...

Every patch responds to midi with a random delay from 2-5 milliseconds
off. This may not sound like a lot, but it is noticeable in looping
and affects even my playing straight-off of the SE-1!

I'd love to hear if there's a parameter that I'm not addressing or if
the upgrade to an SE-1X would really help or not...

THANKS!
Johnny
(god, I hope someone responds...)

Jay-J | Shifted Music

Dec 5, 2009, 11:36:22 PM12/5/09
to studioel...@googlegroups.com
2 or 5 milliseconds... thats a very small amount... you can feel that little delay???

Anyway.

I have a se1 x and it doesn't do this unless the playback buffer in pro tools is high. . but that is what adds the delay.

I had a se1 and it also didn't have a delay although it might have had 5 milliseconds . . and I wouldn't have noticed it.

stevenclements

Dec 6, 2009, 12:52:19 PM12/6/09
to STUDIOELECTRONICS
Hey Johnny... I have had an SE-1 and now have the SE-1X and never
heard this delay with either.

Do you have your midi controller patched directly into the SE-1? Try
that, no computer or patchbay in the path. See if it is still present
or if it is something else in the path that is causing the delay... I
would assume it is and it is not the SE-1.

Cheers
Steve

noetic

Dec 7, 2009, 6:02:24 PM12/7/09
to STUDIOELECTRONICS
Hey Jonny,

Sorry to hear that you're having problems. Did you measure the
delay? 2-5 milliseconds seems awfully small and well within the
typical latency between simultaneously triggered midi events. If
you're perceiving latency, either you're particularly sensitive to
timing errors or the latency is much greater.

Software sequencers, effects, and instruments can approach--or maybe
even attain--sample accuracy with internal midi messages, the hardware
midi spec (being serial) basically has a minimum 2 msec latency
between any 2 midi events. Maybe you find your SE-1 somewhat sloppy
compared to software instruments?

Or maybe the timing errors are large. Could be the cable, the
controller, the sequencer, the midi interface, the midi interface
drivers, etc. Could be as you fear: the unit has a defect.

Tell us about your set up in detail. How are you using your SE-1?
And with what?

Jay-J | Shifted Music

Dec 6, 2009, 3:11:57 PM12/6/09
to studioel...@googlegroups.com
This is the second or third time I have asked this question.

Anyone know if the output is balanced or unbalanced.

I plan to use a balanced cable just in case. . but I was just curious as to how its wired.

Cant seem to find that info anywhere on the interweb and I am curious as to why no one has responded . . is it that none of us really know either way??

luca pilla

Dec 20, 2009, 9:10:04 AM12/20/09
to STUDIOELECTRONICS
Unbalanced