Studio Electronics SE-1x - Some noise in the VCOs and Env 1 Amnt?

Paulo Santos

Jan 19, 2014, 9:05:50 AM1/19/14
to studioel...@googlegroups.com
Hi all

I just got a Studio Electronics SE-1x a couple of days ago and am really enjoying this synth.

There are just two things I'm not sure are working well with mine and would like to be sure about it since I just got it and it was supposed to be fully working.

The first thing I noticed is that the VCOs tend to have some noise/hum when the filter is closed or when I play low notes on it.
I just recorded a small demo showing this:

As I say in the description, I start by playing with the different waveforms in the center of the keyboard and then I play them 3 octaves down.

If I had some more VCOs and modulation, it tends to be unnoticeable and I have already done 40 patches with it and I can't notice that in the kind of patches I want (in case you want to listen to some of those patches, I have a small demo available here - https://soundcloud.com/seaandsandmusicstudio/se1x-first-patches-created-at)

The other "strange" thing I noticed is that whenever I'm using Env 1 Amnt, I need to put the sustain stage at around 3 or higher, otherwise, the filter cutoff will be lower than it was without the modulation active.

Is this normal to happen?

I have waited for the synth to warm up and I still noticed this happening.

This one doesn't really bother me, but I was thinking of doing some sound design for it and make it available later on, and if mine working differently from other synths, I don't think that will be such a good idea...

Thanks in advance,
All the best

Paulo

Jay-J | Shifted Music