The latest peacebuilding news, funding and more

Community Relations Council

Dec 6, 2021, 3:02:55 PM12/6/21
to Stu Dio
Help and funding for groups in Northern Ireland
CRC Logo
Twitter
Facebook
YouTube
Website
SoundCloud
Monthly News
December 2021
Hi Stu,

This is the final monthly newsletter from us for 2021. It's been a tough year for all, but what it's shown us is that it's even more important now than ever for us to help and support each other.

With that in mind, in this issue we're releasing a video documentary series entitled Peacemakers which will explore the lasting impact local peacemakers in Northern Ireland have had by following their personal journeys. In this inaugural video Olive Hobson gives her personal insight and advice for the next generation of peacemakers.

CRC has also opened our annual Good Relations Award where we highlight and recognise local peacemakers throughout Northern Ireland. Find out how to nominate someone special below.

And right now several important funding schemes – Small Grants Scheme, and Publication Scheme – are open for applications

Also in this month's issue read about:
  • Peacemaker Series – Olive Hobson
  • Our Peace Our Stories web resource
  • Good Relations Week impact video
  • Theatre of Witness
  • Early Years – the “respecting difference” approach
  • The Junction good relations workshops
  • CRC grant schemes explained.
  Keep safe.
Covid-19 update

The key priority of the NI Community Relations Council (NICRC) is the health and well-being of those we work with, our staff and their families. We also want to ensure that we continue to deliver our services as far as is possible in these unprecedented times. You will all be aware of the recent change to the government’s guidance on Covid-19. Below we have set out the steps we are taking as a result of the guidance:

  • Currently our office is closed. Our staff are working remotely and can be contacted by email or through our current office number: 028 9022 7500.
  • All events organised by CRC have moved to online platforms. We will update this position when the government’s guidance permits people to gather in numbers again.
  • Until the emergency arrangements are relaxed, we have limited ability to collect post from our office. Post will be collected on Wednesdays only. Consider contacting us by phone or email.
To stay up-to-date, keep checking our website and social media channels.
Good Relations Award 2022
We host an annual award in recognition of exceptional achievement in peacebuilding and community relations in Northern Ireland.

If you know someone within your community who has made an outstanding contribution to good relations over the years, then nominate them now for CRC’s Good Relations Award 2022.

Deadline: 28 January 2022
Read more
Grants & Funding
Hands together
CR/CD Small Grants

Our Small Grants Scheme is now open.

This funding can help community and voluntary groups throughout Northern Ireland engage in Community Relations work.

Deadline: Friday 14 January 2022
Read more
A person writing in a book
Publication Grant Scheme

The scheme encourages the production and dissemination of publications that will contribute to greater understanding and better community relations in Northern Ireland.

Deadline: Friday 14 January 2022
Read more
Peacebuilding News
We support and fund a wide range of organisations and projects that promote community relations and peacebuilding.

Our funded groups are dedicated to affecting positive change in people’s everyday lives throughout Northern Ireland.

In this section, you can find the following stories:
  • Peacemaker Series – Olive Hobson
  • Our Peace Our Stories
  • Good Relations Week impact video
    Theatre of Witness
  • Early Years – the “respecting difference” approach
  • The Junction Good Relations workshops
  • CRC grant schemes explained.
Peacemaker Series
Olive Hobson
In this new video documentary series from the Community Relations Council, we interview Peacemakers in Northern Ireland to explore their personal journey and what drives them. There's also their best advice for the next generation of upcoming peacemakers.

In this inaugural episode find out about Olive Hobson (recently retired) who worked in the Jethro Centre, Lurgan, and the personal journey that led her to devoting her life to making Northern Ireland a more inclusive and peaceful society for all.

Olive’s position at the Jethro Centre was supported through CRC’s Core Funding Scheme.
Read more
Our Peace Our Stories
Web Resource
Our Peace Our Stories
Our Peace Our Stories reflects the everyday effort from a wide range of people, building a peaceful and shared society within Northern Ireland - a journey that the Community Relations Council has travelled since its inception in 1990.

Collected in this newly launched web resource are examples of the projects CRC have funded over the last year, and the amazing organisations that have helped to build lasting peace in Northern Ireland.

Our Peace Our Stories is a journey we are all on together, and we hope you will use this resource for guidance and to find examples of how to build stronger, more peaceful communities throughout Northern Ireland and beyond.
Read more
Good Relations Week 2021
The impact of this year’s programme
Find out more about the events that happened during Good Relations Week 2021 “Brighter Days Ahead” and the impact they had for young people in Northern Ireland by watching the video below.

This year’s GR Week was one of CRC’s most successful and we're glad you were a part of it.
Read more
Theatre of Witness
The Playhouse
The enduring uniqueness of Theatre of Witness workshops is that they enable participants to engage with real life stories from all sides of The Troubles in Northern Ireland. Facilitators talk about their experiences and participants can ask questions about things that are rarely spoken about, and explore how these stories can inspire healing, empathy and understanding in today’s world.

The Playhouse is an arts and peacebuilding centre in Derry/Londonderry, established in 1992, and is supported through CRC’s Core Funding Scheme.

Ten years ago, the Playhouse established Theatre of Witness as a form of performance that gives voice to those who have been marginalised, forgotten or are invisible in society.
Read more
Early Years
The “respecting difference” approach
Children playing
Why engage with management and community with a “respecting difference” approach?

This is the topic explored by Early Years – the organisation for young children – who is committed to giving children and young people the best start in life, and working towards a shared society that respects diversity.

Early Years is core funded by the Community Relations Council.

In this specially commissioned article find out more about how the organisation is attempting to collectively bring about social change and justice by working with communities.
Read more
The Junction
Good Relations workshops
Lyra McKee
A two stranded writing competition organised by The Junction will take place to honour Lyra McKee.

CRC is supporting the project with funding through its CR/CD Scheme for Good Relations workshops. The competition element (which is not eligible under the CR/CD scheme) is supported through match funding.

Writers are invited to take on a challenge based on a quote from Lyra, and to do so as either journalists or fiction writers, or both.
Read more
Grants Explained
CRC's funding schemes
Find out about the different grant schemes available from the Community Relations Council and get started on completing your grant application.

With this video, you can delve into the various grants schemes available, and which one might be right for your project and organisation.
Read more
Events & Resources
In this section, you'll find links to upcoming events, resources and courses focused on peacebuilding and good relations delivered by local groups across Northern Ireland:
£370,000 funding
To promote good relations and reconciliation
Funding

£370,000 in funding from the Department of Communities is available through the Uniting Opportunities small grants programme.

The programme, which is being delivered as part of the Executive Office’s Together: Building a United Community (T:BUC) Strategy, targets young people aged 11 to 24 across six specific locations.

Read more

Submissions

Have you got a project, story idea or case study that would
make a great fit for our next monthly newsletter?
Contact us now!
CRC logo
Twitter
Twitter
Facebook
Facebook
YouTube
YouTube
Website
Website
SoundCloud
SoundCloud
Copyright © 2021 NI Community Relations Council, All rights reserved.

Our email address is:
in...@nicrc.org.uk

We have updated our Privacy Notice to reflect changes we've made that strengthen your privacy rights. This is part of the Community Relations Council’s commitment to how we use your data and keep it safe. We have included changes to address the new standards introduced by the data protection law known as the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). The unsubscribe option below is only visible as a function of MailChimp. We may continue to process your personal data because it is necessary for the performance of our public tasks.