May 2023 Newsletter - Shauna Lawless

Shauna Lawless

Jun 1, 2023, 2:36:29 PM6/1/23
to studionort...@gmail.com
View in browser
Shauna Lawless - May 2023 Newsletter

The Children of Gods and Fighting Men is out now!!

Visit my website

Hello everyone,

I hope you are all keeping well!

May was another busy busy month, however June is about to get even busier. I'm on deadline - with means my nose must be flat to the grindstone so the manuscript for book 3 is with my editor before I go on holidays.

Wish me luck!

The Children of Gods and Fighting Men

The paperback is now out everywhere apart from North America, Australia and New Zealand.

The dates for these releases are:

N. America - 8th August 2023

Australia/NZ - 5th September 2023

Back home, it's been lovely to see the paperbacks when I've been out shopping in Waterstones. Honestly, to be on one of the main tables is a dream come true.

When I was younger, I'd beg for book tokens for birthdays and Christmas - and these were always the books I checked out first.

Regarding the newsletter giveaway, I have sent emails to the lucky subscribers who won a signed paperback - so hopefully they are with you now.

If you want to order the paperback (assuming you didn't win the giveaway of course), here is the link to UK Amazon and Waterstones. Lots of other brick and mortar bookstores will also be stocking the paperback too - so make sure you check them out, or order into your local library.

The Children of Gods and Fighting Men - paperback - UK Amazon
The Children of Gods and Fighting Men - paperback - UK Waterstones

I reached 1,009 ratings on Goodreads this month, which is amazing. I will stop giving you this tally now that I've reached 1,000 - but it's been lots of fun to watch this tick up and knowing that people are still reading my book so many months after publication.

The Words of Kings and Prophets

The marketing work for The Words of Kings and Prophets - Book 2 in The Gael Song series - is ramping up!

Now all the editing work is completed, this is the fun part.

So, things for you to know.

If you are a blogger/bookstagrammer/booktuber or review books on TikTok, you can request an arc via Netgalley.

Here is the UK link -

https://www.netgalley.co.uk/catalog/book/288633

In the USA, the book is now available to request, so if you have a USA/Canadian netgalley account, you will find the book if you search for it, or browse the SFF section.

Release dates are expected to be:

UK/Ireland/Europe/Commonwealth publishing area - 14th September

North America - 3rd October

Australia/NZ - 28th November

E-Book/Audiobook - 14th September (all territories)

The audiobook announcement is my big news since last month - and this is now available to pre-order on Amazon. Another piece of good news is that Aoife McMahon is returning to narrate the story.

The Words of Kings and Prophets - audiobook

If you are a blogger/booktuber/Tiktoker, please let me know if you are interested in reviewing or joining my blogtour. Quite a few have emailed already, which has been lovely to see!

I've also put the pre-order links below, and also the Goodreads page (just in case you want to add it to your TBR)

The Words of Kings and Prophets - USA Amazon pre-order link
The Words of Kings and Prophets - UK Amazon pre order link
The Words of Kings and Prophets - Barnes & Noble pre order link
The Words of Kings and Prophets - Goodreads page
Social Media & Events

This month, I took part in a conversation with the lovely Dr. Philip Chase, where we both talked about our respective books.

If you don't know Philip, he is a booktuber and has studied medieval history. He is a bit of a Tolkien expert and is also a writer himself.

For this video, he read my book, The Children of Gods and Fighting Men, and I read his book, The Way of Edan.

If you want to hear us talk about our books, historical and mythological inspirations, and our influences, then you should check it out. It was lots of fun.

This month, I took part in a panel at MCM London Comic-Con - which was AMAZING!!

I was there with my 12 year old son, who just had an absolute blast. The cosplay was unbelievably good - and the vast array of creators just took my breath away. I did literally take us hours to get around and see everything.

I took part in a folklore panel with TJ Klune, A.Y. Chao, Kit Whitfield, Verity Holloway and Ashley Stokes. It was such an interesting chat. I think TJ Klune was the absolute star of the show and gave such great insight into his life and writing.

Here is a picture of me with A.Y. Chao and TJ Klune after we did our book signing.

Upcoming Events

In person events that I will be attending for the rest of the year are:

  1. Cymera, Edinburgh (4th June)
  2. FantasyCon, Birmingham (15th-17th September)

For the Cymera event, I will be there over the whole weekend.

The event I am speaking at is 'It's grim up Norse' and I'll be discussing this wonderful topic with the lovely Thilde Kold Holdt and Suzie Wild

In the month of June, I will also be taking part in a booktube discussion with Library of a Viking. He's a great booktuber and is always lovely to chat to. I'll post a link to that video once it's up next month.

Writing news and an exclusive!

I'm currently working on editing book 3 of The Gael Song series. I am already about 72% though the editing process and will keep going throughout June as the book has to be handed in at the end of the month.

I also can say that...

I have signed a two book novella deal with HoZ - both of which are set in The Gael Song world! I don't have any more details to share yet regarding titles and release dates, but I can let you know that the first novella has already been handed in!

Reading

I read some lovely books this month. These are, The Way of Edan by Philip Chase, Sons of Darkness by Gourav Mohanty, When the Tiger Came Down the Mountain by Nghi Vo, and The Lost War by Justin Lee Anderson.

I haven't written all my reviews up yet - I am blaming my edits!

Here are the links to the ones I did find time to write. As always, I will post the others next month!

Review - Sons of Darkness by Gourav Mohanty
Review - Daughter of the Moon Goddess by Sue Lynn Tan

The books I am currently reading are:

  • The Last Raven by Steve McHugh (40% through
  • Of Darkness and Light by Ryan Cahill (5% through)
  • Heart of the Sun Warrior by Sue Lynn Tan (10% through)

Next on my TBR is:

  • The Wheel of Osheim by Mark Lawrence
  • Demon in White by Christopher Ruocchio
  • Dark Water Daughter by H.M. Long
  • The Combat Codes by Alexander Darwin

Last month was an excellent reading month for me, however, I suspect because I'm on deadline, that June won't be.

It doesn't matter. I plan on taking the month of July off - and believe me, I have a substantial stack of books I want to read during this time.

If you want to read more of my blogs and book reviews, hit the link below.

Visit my blog

That's it for now! Lots of news coming next month - and if there are any promotions/giveaways, I'll let you know!

CONNECT WITH ME!

Shauna Lawless Author (@shaunalawlessauthor) | TikTok

Shauna Lawless (she/her) (@shaunaLwrites) / Twitter

Shauna Lawless (@shauna_lawless_author) | Instagram

Bookseller Links
Visit my books page
Amazon
Waterstones
Dubray Books (Ireland)
Barnes & Noble
Easons (Ireland)
Broken Binding
Shauna Lawless
Johnson & Alcock, Bloomsbury House, 74-77 Great Russell Street, London
United Kingdom
twitter

You received this email because you signed up on our website or made purchase from us.

Unsubscribe
Sent by MailerLite