✒Declarations 107: New Tricks

Declan Shalvey

Sep 28, 2022, 10:10:33 AM9/28/22
to Stu
OLD DOG, out TODAY
View this email in your browser
DECLARATIONS 107

A biweekly newsletter by artist/writer Declan Shalvey.
Hello, welcome back to- ah to hell with the usual pleasantries, as OLD DOG out today!
I hope ye'll understand I delayed this newsletter a day so I could mark this occasion.
ALL THE LATEST
-I'll get into it below but let's not tiptoe around it, OLD DOG is a book I've put everything  into and if you, yes YOU, don't get a copy tomorrow, I will never forgive you! Guilt is a good sales motivator, right...?
-Mad busy this week putting out various fires. Currently gathering imagery for my  conversation with Tomm Moore at the Kilkenny Animated festival this coming weekend. I'll be doing a small signing after that event and may have some news to come out of the weekend...
-I'll be at MCM LONDON on Oct 28th-30th! I'll be there for the 3 days of the show with copies of Old Dog, Old Dog prints, and a selection of other books. I'll do 1hr sketching sessions each day, but not taking any precommissions or anything.
-Last week I handed in my outline for the first arc of PROJECT SPAWN. Just got the thumbs up to get writing last night, I'll have to get into it very soon. Really enjoying the project though, especially now that I'm digging more into the story.
-Have also started breaking down Old Dog #4 script, but I also need to get my PROJECT SIX pitch in before I head to New York Comic Con.
-I took a short walk in The Burren last week. I have a story I want to write/draw set here [most likely a graphic novel], and seeing the landscape reminded me how much I wanted to draw all this. Have no idea when I'll actually get to this book, but I'm determined to do it someday.
OLD DOG
Now the meat of the situation; OLD DOG is finally out. Hope ye've all bought multiple copies and sell this bad boy out. Issue Two is all wrapped up and I'm reeeeally happy with it. Layouts are done for #3. Currently starting on pencils for #3 and working on script for #4. The one-on-one reaction to the book has been really great, as have the advance reviews. Starting to feel really good about all this, hope it lasts!
Following on from the flats to colour corrected stages in the last Declarations, here's the finished coloured page from a page from Issue Two.
If you like, you can check out this livestream below where I was colouring a handful of pages from the issue.
Check out this savage Elsa Charettier variant cover for #2! Order asap as FOC is fast approaching...
I did some interviews for the book, of course. Here they are
AiPT interview, read here
Comic Book Club, watch here
An Irish invasion, listen here
And lastly, Kieron Gillen's newly resurrected podcast Decompressed. Listen here
And while ye're reading, check out this interview with OLD DOG letterer, Clayton Cowles!  Letter Appreciation Spotlight; Clayton Cowles
NYCC
YES I'll be at NEW YORK COMIC CON! Table E-29. I'm not taking pre-commissions. I'll primarily be signing at certain times, and sketching at certain times, first come, first served. Via Cadence Comic Art we'll also have this NYCC exclusive Wes Craig variant cover!
Here's my schedule for the show [subject to change] :
THURSDAY
12-2PM: Signing, table E-29
3-4PM Sketch Session, table E-29
FRIDAY
12-2PM: Signing. table E-29
2-3PM: Rogues' Gallery signing, table E-30
4-5PM: Sketch session, table E-29
SATURDAY
11AM-12PM: Signing, table E-29
12-1PM: Star Trek Signing [IDW booth, I believe]
3-4PM: Signing, table E-29
4-5PM: Sketch session, table E-29
SUNDAY
12-2PM: Signing, table E-29
3-4PM Sketch Session, table E-29
Really looking forward to the NYCC experience again and seeing all of you.
ROGUES' GALLERY
-Big news! ROGUES' GALLERY has been optioned for TV by an actual Avenger; War Machine/ Don Cheadle himself. Congrats to Hannah and all the team, pretty crazy news to happen just as #3 comes out. More here.
Also, ROGUES' GALLERY artist and all round nice guy Justin Mason is selling his art from the book! Any collectors would be fools not to invest in one of these great pages before this fella blows up. Art available here.
Lastly, the final issue of the book is out on October 26th with an A cover by myself! Here it is.
And yes, come see us all at Justin's table next to mine at NYCC where he, myself and Hannah will be signing copies of the series, Friday 2-3PM
TIME BEFORE TIME
Issue 17 is out next week! Just handed in my pages for #23 and currently working on the lettering draft for #19. We're taking a break from the monthly book for one month while Vol 3 is released, then back in December with an amazing issue drawn by Lauren Knight. Here's a sneak peek at one of her pages, with colours by the ever-brilliant Chris O'Halloran.
It's also been revealed the artist of our next arc is Jorge Coelho. Jorge is a fantastic artist whose work I loved on Zero, Rocket Racoon and more, but his work has since become even more stylish and unique. Here's a gorgeous page of inks from his first issue [Issue 20] in January.
OUT SOON
September 28th OLD DOG #1 [W, A, Col, C] October 05th TIME BEFORE TIME #17 [W,C]
THAT TEXAS BLOOD #18 [VC]
October 26th STAR TREK #1 [VC] ROGUES GALLERY #4 [C]
November 2nd
OLD DOG #2 [W, A, Col, C]
Okay, that's all from me this week. I'll be back again in a couple of weeks. Feel free to share the subscribe link between now and then.

Dec.

Twitter
Facebook
Website