New Issue: August/September 2021

The London Magazine

Aug 2, 2021, 1:01:45 PM8/2/21
to Stu
On being a Mail Woman, Ninon de l'Enclos and Spoons
August/September 2021
Out now
Dear Stu,

The heatwave has been and gone – but don’t give up on your staycation reading lists just yet! The new issue of The London Magazine has arrived and is packed full of literary rays of light, come rain or shine.

Our August/September issue 2021 focuses on women’s literary, artistic and cultural experiences in both a historic and contemporary light. In Paris, London and Friendship Horatio Morpurgo delivers a tantalising glimpse into the life, philosophy and friendships of French author, courtesan and patron of the arts, Ninon de L’Enclos.

Elsewhere, as part of our free online reads this issue, in Gold in Them Hills, Alannah Jones delves into the hidden histories of women in the Wild West: how gold-searching, rooting-tooting, whip-crackin’ outlaws, such as Calamity Jane, challenged the masculine traditions and shaped their own gender identities.

Alongside Jones’s review, we also have Soak it All In, an excellent poem by Ella Frears. In her always glorious, always beautiful, always slightly wicked way she weaves together the literal and allegorical burdens on the female body: ‘These are terrible conditions for a woman. Lucky it’s the year of the sponge!’

We’ve also got stellar pieces from Francesca Reece, Charlie Baylis, Andrew Lambirth, Livia Franchini and a retrospective on revolutionary artist Caroline Coon by Christiana Spens.

As always make sure to subscribe to The London Magazine to have the latest issue delivered directly to your door. Alternatively, single issue copies are available from our shop page.

Yours,

The London Magazine
Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
New issue

OUT NOW
August/September

On being a Mail Woman, Ninon de l'Enclos, Caroline Coon, Girling and Spoons. Poetry by Ella Frears, Maya C. Popa, Charlie Baylis, Hannah Hodgson, Genevieve Carver, Penny Boxall, Ronan Hyacinthe, Hannah Copley, Brit Parks, Genevieve Stevens and Sarah Corbett. Fiction by Livia Franchini, Francesca Reece, Martha J. Whatley and Jenah Shaw. Click here for the full line up.

Subscribe to receive the latest issue
Buy the single issue here, or subscribe below for £33 for the year, which gives you approximately 20% off cover price, free delivery and full access to our extensive digital archive. For single issue orders, use the code TLM10 for 10% off your order.
Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
Copyright © 2015 The London Magazine, All rights reserved.

The London Magazine
11 Queen's Gate, London SW7 5EL
Tel: 020 7584 5977
subscr...@thelondonmagazine.org
www.thelondonmagazine.org

unsubscribe from this list    update subscription preferences