WRITING PROMPTS #410: Gratitude 🙏

1 view

Laura (Reedsy)

Jul 26, 2024, 12:32:34 PM (20 hours ago) Jul 26
to studionort...@googlemail.com
Write a short story and WIN $250!

Gratitude 🙏

Unfortunately, it's true what they say — all good things must come to an end! Today marks my last Friday at Reedsy, and my last week as the host of Prompts.

Before I get into this week's contest, I'd like to take a moment to thank this wonderful community, for sharing your creativity and enthusiasm with me over the past few years. I have been truly moved and inspired by your entries, and am consistently amazed by the talented, prolific writers who make up Prompts. It doesn't escape me how lucky I am to have read and enjoyed thousands of your stories, and to have been given a glimpse into the worlds of so many authors. It's been a great privilege.

With that in mind, this week's contest is all about gratitude. Whether your characters are thankful for a gift, a person, or a change in circumstance, I hope they find a way to express it.

You'll meet your wonderful new Prompts host Isabella next Friday; but for now, all that's left to say is — thank you!

  1. Write a story about a character trying to find a way to express their gratitude to someone.
  2. Write a creative nonfiction piece about something you're grateful for.
  3. Write a story about a cynic who has been told to start a "gratitude journal," and does so — begrudgingly.
  4. Write a story about an unsung hero.
  5. Write a story in the form of a series of thank you cards.

Compete for $250 and a spot in Prompted💰

Reedsy challenges you to create a short story based on one of these prompts. The winner will be featured on Reedsy Prompts and receive $250 via PayPal! We’ll also consider your submission for a future print and digital issue of our lit mag, Prompted.

The Latest Winner🏆

Congrats to Christine Foy! Their short story, 'Getting Better,' is based on the prompt: Place your characters in a tough situation, where nobody wants to acknowledge the reality of what's happening.

You can read all 311 entries to the Elephant in the Room edition of our contest here.

The Details

Here’s the fine print: choose one of our weekly prompts from this week's contest. Write a 1K-3K word short story, submit it from your Reedsy Prompts profile, and pay the $5 entry fee before 11:59 pm EST on the 2nd of August. See our Terms of Use or FAQ for other details.

Pro Tip: If you don’t want to submit to the contest, you can still post your story for free!

Looking forward to reading your stories, even from afar.

– Laura

P.S. Are you interested in going behind the scenes of the Reedsy Prompts contest as a judge? Head here for more information.

Copyright © 2024 Reedsy, All rights reserved.

You're receiving this email because you signed up for Writing prompts.

Unsubscribe here. Manage your subscriptions here.