Beta readers, memoir truths, Emily Henry

The Empowered Author

Jun 1, 2023, 1:21:58 PM6/1/23
to studionort...@gmail.com
Dialogue, Max Porter, YellowFace campaign
Logo

Well, a month is a long time in the book world, isn’t it? May seems to have been particularly crazy. We started the month with Bigolas Dickolas making Amal El-Mohtar’s four year old book a bestseller with this tweet. There seems to be no particular rhyme or reason to why this happened, apart from a tweet that caught Twitter’s imagination. At last count, this tweet has been viewed over 18 million times. There isn’t a lot to be learned from this, apart from making friends with Bigolas Dickolas (*coughs*) and that every one of your readers has the potential to spread their love for your books.

The craziness continued when Taylor Swift fans convinced themselves that she had written a book, which they then pre-ordered in large numbers. The news then broke that the book they had been ordering was in fact by K-pop mega-band BTS. Hard to over estimate how huge both of their fanbases are, and I’m sure BTS’s book will sell incredibly well, and will be the book of the summer (and I’m predicting the biggest selling book of 2023).

Another huge book that published last week was YellowFace by R.F. Kuang. In book marketing terms this campaign ticked every box possible. HarperCollins really have excelled themselves and it is always impressive to see what a big 5 publisher can achieve when they REALLY back an author. YellowFace is the story of a stolen manuscript and exposes the grubbier side of the publishing industry, this line jumped out at me -

‘Publishing picks a winner - someone attractive enough, someone cool and young …. - and lavishes all its money and resources on them. It’s so fucking arbitrary….it hinges on factors that have nothing to do with the strength of one’s prose.’

Never one to miss an opportunity to critique the industry, I discussed a few key challenges of traditional publishing as I see them. It’s worth having a look at how BookTokers embraced YellowFace - of course, this doesn’t happen by magic, I’m sure working with BookTokers was an important part of HarperCollins’ campaign.

For most authors, this is a campaign we can only dream of, but I do think it’s useful to keep in mind that traditional publishing is mostly arbitrary, and your book might not be a priority of theirs. Worth understanding this and then empowering yourself, especially when it comes to connecting with your readers.

The discussion around AI has continued apace, and honestly I think this will be THE topic for a long time to come. A real clash between tech bros and the creative industries. It was alarming to see Thomas Rabe, CEO of Bertlesmann, the owner of PenguinRandom House talk so positively about AI and how he sees it being adopted.

Interesting times ahead! The tweet about AI below did make me laugh though.

I have found a lot of great content this month which you can find below and as always, happy to hear from you if you have any questions.

Take care

Sam x

Thoughts on Substack and every other god damn social media/email/blog thing I seem to be on - me on Substack

How Successful Authors Use Social Media: 29 Content Ideas - Leila Hirschfield on BookBub

Katie has been giving tips on spring cleaning your social media, website and newsletter on our Facebook Group

Reviews, lists, & other media circuses - Publishing Rodeo podcast with Daniel Roman

A Guide to Paid Book Advertising for Independent Authors - Alliance of Independent Authors blog

Five Pieces of Book Blurb Advice You Should Avoid - Written Word Media with Jessie Cunniffe

If you’re not sure what you’re doing with your marketing, Katie offers an ‘audit’ service - she’ll look at your social media, Amazon, website and give you feedback and practical tips. Katie has worked with a huge number of authors and has more experience than anyone I know. She is also supportive and kind. Bit more info here.

Check out these fantastic LGBT+ illustrators on Services For Authors, all incredibly talented, what better way to celebrate Pride Month.

Emily Henry discusses dialogue; facets of success; her book covers; and her potential involvement in the film adaptations of her books - The Shit No One Tells You About Writing podcast

In conversation with Max Porter at the Book Hive - Writing Life podcast

What Irvine Welsh thinks about sensitivity readers - on TikTok

Writer and broadcaster Damian Barr grapples with the slippery idea of truth in literature - BBC

USA Today bestselling author, Sue Watson talks about her success that came when she switched from romcoms to thrillers - The Bestseller Experiment podcast

Kia Thomas, Judith Leask and Eleanor Abraham reflect on the self-publishing process from their perspectives as author, editor and typesetter - the CIEP blog

To Set Beta Reader Expectations, Have an Honest Conversation - Lisa Cooper Ellison for Jane Friedman

Prolific author, JD Kirk discusses self-publishing, staying healthy, and his very busy year - Writer’s Routine

Five amateurish writing signs - Ryder Kessler on TikTok

Writing Novels Inspired By Place With Tony Park - Joanna Penn, The Creative Penn

Twitter iconWebsite iconEmail iconFacebook icon
Logo

Copyright (C) 2023 The Empowered Author. All rights reserved.
You signed up to this email on our website.

Our mailing address is:

The Empowered Author
PO Box 5279
Bath, BANES BA1 0WJ
United Kingdom

Add us to your address book

You can update your preferences or unsubscribe

Email Marketing Powered by Mailchimp