To what degree do actors stick to just one genre?

1 view

Stephen Follows

Mar 4, 2024, 5:20:10 AMMar 4
to studionort...@googlemail.com

Twitter       Linkedin     Facebook

Hi

The news that they are remaking The Naked Gun movies starring Liam Neason left me with a surprising reaction - I can't wait!  It's a great piece of casting for a number of reasons, not least playing off of Neason's 'hard man' persona of recent years.

The late great Leslie Nielsen was similarly regarded as a 'serious' actor before his work on the comedy TV series Police Squad, which later spawned the Naked Gun movies.

This put me in mind of some research I did a few years ago, looking at the diveirisety (or lack there of) of genres actors have starred in. You can read what I found at https://stephenfollows.com/to-what-degree-do-actors-stick-to-one-genre/

Before you go, I am looking to build up a list of people who are publishing interesting work in the film data space. So please do reply to this email, letting me know who's work you enjoy reading when it comes to analysing the film industry through the lens of data.

Thank you!

Stephen

P.S. If any of you have been wondering what I sound like, I'll be live on 'Front Row' on BBC Radio 4 tomorrow at 7:15pm.

FROM THE ARCHIVES AT STEPHENFOLLOWS.COM

To what degree do actors stick to just one genre?

I generated a list of 275 famous actors and actresses, who I will collectively refer to as ‘actors’. All had received high billing in at least ten movies over the past twenty years.

I then looked at the genre of all the movies they have made throughout their career to date.

FILM DATA DIGEST
Articles, reports and news from the past seven days

Study Shows Decline For Speaking Roles For Female Characters In 2023 Films

A new report has found that 2023 was not a great year for female characters in speaking roles in film. With big films like Barbie, 2023 might seem like a great year for female lead blockbusters, but in reality, the numbers don’t match.

Read more

BBC sets out plans for incorporating GenAI

The BBC has outlined its plans for working with Generative AI (GenAI) through a series of pilots designed to explore the benefits of using the technology in three key areas. A total of 12 internal pilots will assess the effectiveness of GenAI in maximising the value of existing content; new audience experiences; and making workflow processes quicker and easier.

Read more

Actor Will Forte says completed "Coyote vs. Acme" film is likely never coming out

A verdict seems to have been reached in the case of "Coyote vs. Acme," the Warner Bros. Discovery courtroom comedy based on the popular Looney Tunes character. The movie will likely never come out, lead actor Will Forte said in a statement on social media Thursday.

Read more

Oscars’ Best Casting Award: Which Movies Would’ve Won Over 96 Years of Academy History?

A year-by-year "what if," guided by math, to make educated guesses filling in a nearly century-long gap of recognition for casting directors.

Read more

All of AMC's revenue growth came from Taylor Swift and Beyoncé films, theater chain says

AMC said that virtually all of its increased revenue and EBITDA can be attributed to its distribution of concert films from Taylor Swift and Beyoncé. The movie chain is now fielding calls from other performers looking to put their performances on the silver screen.

Read more

Tenet IMAX Re-Release Box Office Redeems Original 2020 Run With 1 Stellar Statistic

Christopher Nolan’s Tenet has been re-released in IMAX in select theaters, and one statistic is redeeming the movie’s disappointing 2020 performance.

Read more

© Stephen Follows, Erroneous Wit, Somerset House, London, WC2R 1LA, United Kingdom

Twitter       Linkedin     Facebook

Sent to: studionort...@googlemail.com

Unsubscribe

Stephen Follows, Erroneous Wit, Somerset House, London, WC2R 1LA, United Kingdom