Jerry Jenkins Newsletter: Become a ferocious self-editor, Stu

Jerry Jenkins

Jul 2, 2024, 10:40:27 AM (15 hours ago) Jul 2
to StudioNort...@googlemail.com
image

Jerry Jenkins Newsletter: July 2, 2024

Self-Editing

So, you want to be published?

To give yourself the best chance, you need to learn to edit your manuscript so a publisher will want to turn it into a book.

To land a traditional publishing deal (where they take all the financial risk and pay you, rather than the other way around), your manuscript must be the best it can be.

As the author of over 210 published books, I’ve learned to ruthlessly edit my work before exposing it to publishers’ eyes. Here are the steps I take and recommend you do the same:

1. Separate the writing from the revising

I start every writing day by performing a heavy edit and rewrite of what I wrote the day before. I don’t try to edit while I’m writing because that would slow me to a crawl.

Writing needs to be done with our perfectionist caps off. Then put ‘em back on for the revision stage.

2. Read your manuscript aloud

You’ll be amazed at how much you pick up just from hearing what you’ve written. Something that might look okay on the page could sound awkward aloud.

3. Start with the big picture

Begin with major changes, like moving scenes, removing characters, or even changing the plot of your novel or the theme of your nonfiction book.

4. Hone each fiction scene or nonfiction chapter

At this stage of editing a manuscript, you want to become confident that every scene advances your story or theme.

5. Root out weasel or crutch words

Eliminate empty words like “really” or “very” and look for the overuse of any word. Also be careful that you don’t hedge. In other words, eliminate things like “sort of,” “somewhat,” “kind of,” etc. And watch for saying that someone “started to” or “began to” do something, They either do it or they don’t. They do more, for instance, than just start to cry. They cry.

6. Conduct a final run-through

Work till you’re happy with every word and, of course watch for typos or grammatical errors.

Spotting your own mistakes can be tricky, so consider getting someone else’s eyes on your writing.

Remember that less is more and cutting adds power, so become a ferocious self-editor. A traditional publishing house will still assign an in-house editor, but you want to submit your absolute best work every time.

Jerry

image

Click here to download The Ultimate Self-Editing Checklist from JerryJenkins.com

Today's Newsletter is Sponsored by Bookbub -- a free service that helps you discover books you'll love through unbeatable deals, handpicked recommendations, and updates from your favorite authors. BookBub doesn't actually sell books. They simply introduce you to books you'll love that are available from retailers like Amazon's Kindle store, Barnes & Noble's Nook store, Apple Books, and others. Check it out here.

Jerry Recommends:

The Writing Life: Writers on How They Think and Work

By Marie Arana

This book came from ten years of Ms. Arana’s Washington Post Book World column. More than fifty fiction and nonfiction authors share how they discovered they were writers and how they work. I was fascinated by what pleases and annoys them. Arana also profiles each writer.

image
image

If you find this email helpful, forward it to a fellow writer!

And check out www.JerryJenkins.com, the ultimate destination for writing guidance.

To unsubscribe from the Jerry Jenkins newsletter, click here. | [JJ-LIST-NEWSLETTER]

To unsubscribe from all future communications, click here: Unsubscribe

Leverage Brands 1114 17th Avenue South Suite 102 Nashville, Tennessee 37212 United States