See what's on this July 2024

Hugh Lane

Jul 2, 2024, 12:16:43 PM (13 hours ago) Jul 2
to studionort...@gmail.com
July 2024 - at Hugh Lane Gallery
What's on this July
at Hugh Lane Gallery?
MORE POWER TO YOU: Sarah Purser - A Force for Irish Art
Opens on 10 July - 5 January | Admission Free

MORE POWER TO YOU celebrates Sarah Purser, an indomitable figure in Irish art in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. The exhibition examines Purser’s multifaceted role as an artist, activist and collector. Purser played an important role in the founding of Hugh Lane Gallery and helped secure Charlemont House as the Gallery’s permanent home. She also founded the stained glass studio An Túr Gloine and was the first woman to be elected Member of the Royal Hibernian Academy. The exhibition explores Purser's remarkable life through her own paintings and drawings and the work of her contemporaries. MORE POWER TO YOU also marks the centenary of the founding of the Friends of the National Collections of Ireland, which Purser established in 1924.

The exhibition continues until 5 January 2024.

Image: Portrait Study, Sarah Purser, c.1895

Time & Time Again: An Exhibition by Young Visionaries
10 July 2024 - 22 September 2024| Admission Free

Over the course of three months, a group of young visionaries worked alongside Fulbright Scholar Allison Carey to learn about curatorial practice within Hugh Lane Gallery and beyond.

During collaborations with the Gallery’s staff, visits to artist studios across Dublin, and meetings with accomplished curators, the Transition Year students re-examined the meaning and potential of curatorial practice and galleries at large. These experiences and conversations prepared the group to ideate and execute their own exhibition.

Animating modern and contemporary artworks from the Hugh Lane Gallery’s collection through lived experiences, Time & Time Again retraces the experiences that define growing up, reaching the present moment, and anticipating the daunting future– as seen from the perspective of Dublin’s youth.

The exhibition was planned by Allison Carey as part of Hugh Lane Gallery’s art education programmes for young people.

Image: (Left) Rita Duffy, Sofa, 1997. Collection & image © Hugh Lane Gallery © Rita Duffy. (Right) Diana Copperwhite, Sleep Walker, 2019. Collection & image © Hugh Lane Gallery.© Diana Copperwhite.

High Expectations: An Interactive Display for Young Children
Community Project and Exhibition
7 July 2024 - 22 September 2024 | Admission Free

High Expectations is an interactive display for very young children created by artist Helen Barry and children from Ozanam House Early Learning Centre. This exhibition has arisen from an artist-in-residence programme undertaken by the artist at Ozanam House Early Learning Centre at Mountjoy Square. High Expectations is a wonderful demonstration of how the synergy between artist-led creative engagement and early years’ methodologies enhance and support the development of the early years’ child. This year-long investment has used a child-led approach and has offered us an insight into the curious and enquiring mind of a child. We have witnessed how the impact of creativity offers the child a new way in which they can make their mark, find their voice and stamp their feet to a rhythm we have co-created with them and for them. We would like to invite you and your early years child to spend time looking, touching, exploring and responding to the different things in this gallery space/room.

Suitable for children aged 6 months - 5 Years.
All welcome.
Explore & Learn

Art and the Outdoors
03 August 2024 – 04 August 2024
Free Event

We are delighted to welcome you again to our exciting Art and the Outdoors 2024 two-day family art event this bank holiday weekend on Parnell Square North.

Art and the Outdoors is inspired by artists who moved out of their studios to paint en plein air or out of doors. This free family-friendly programme includes artist-led outdoor drawing, printmaking, pop-up art workshops, street art, music, poetry, street spectacle and more!

More details will be available here soon.
Highlights of Upcoming Talks and Film Screenings

Film Screening:  Yes to the Work!
Friday 19 July, 1pm

Free, Book in advance

Join us for a screening of the documentary film Yes to the Work!: The Women’s Art Library by director Holly Antrum.

With an introduction and post-screening discussion with Film Curator Alice Butler, and an online post-screening Q+A with director Holly Antrum.

‘Yes to the Work!: The Women’s Art Library’ incorporates the feminist links between art and education. The film socially interweaves a diverse range of artists and researchers connected with the Women’s Art Library in London, and reveals a balance between the preservation of records of self-identified women artists, with their activation.

Art Appreciation Course: More Power to You:  Sarah Purser - A Force for Irish Art

Thursdays 8-29 August, 2-4pm

Fee: €60, booking essential
Book here

This four-part Art Appreciation Course: More Power to You: Sarah Purser - a Force for Irish Art with art historian Jessica Fahy celebrates Sarah Purser, an indomitable figure in Irish art in the late 19th and early 20th centuries and will examines Purser’s multifaceted role as artist, activist and collector.

Coffee Conversations
Our Coffee Conversations is a great way to explore art in a stimulating and friendly environment. In July, our art talks include illustrated lectures and tours focusing on the works and context of the exhibition MORE POWER TO YOU: Sarah Purser: A Force for Irish Art, with speakers including Aoife Convery, Yseult O'Driscoll and Dr Anne Cormican. Explore more here

Fee: €5, including tea /coffee. Tickets are available at reception on the day.
Highlights of our Art Courses
Image: Grace Wilentz photographed by Siobhán Butler.

Paint and Pigment: weekend workshop
Saturday 13 July 10.30 am -1.30 pm;
Sunday 14 July 11.30 am -1.30 pm

Fee: €50, further details
here.

In this weekend workshop, led by artist Roxy Manouchehri, participants will make their own paint out of organic pigments. On the first day the focus will be on the creation of paints of different types including egg tempera, gauche and gum arabic mix. On the second day, participants will have the opportunity to create their own 2D artworks using these paints.

No experience required, materials supplied.

The Art of Sketching
Saturdays 10, 17 and 24 August 2024; 10.30am-12.30pm
Fee: €55, no experience necessary, and places can be booked
here

Join artist Ashleigh Downey to explore artworks in the Hugh Lane Gallery’s collection through drawing and discussion. This three-part course introduces the art of sketching within a gallery context, and explores drawing from both a sensory and experimental perspective. Together amongst the artworks we will gather visual notes and drawings; each week tuning deeper into the smaller subtle details, as we investigate different shapes, colours, patterns, and textures. No experience necessary and materials are provided.

Get Involved
Friday 12 July, 11am
Free, advance booking essential.

Tour for People who are Hard of Hearing

Join us for this tour of the Hugh Lane Gallery collection for people who are hard of hearing with Aoife Convery. Places can be booked here.

First three Tuesdays of every month
Free, advance booking essential.

Hugh Lane Culture Club

Culture Club in collaboration with Dublin City Council Culture Company is a series of hosted talks and tours that introduce and encourage people to connect with the cultural spaces of the city. Our Hugh Lane Gallery Culture Club art talks take place on the first three Tuesdays of every month.

Book your spot here
Summer Camps & More!
9 July – 11 July 2024, 10.30 am-12.30 pm
Three-Day Summer Camp for 7-10-year-olds, with artists Kim Jenkinson and Megan Scott
Fee: €40 Book here.

7 July, 18 July and  19 July 2024, 2.30 pm-4.30 pm
Three-day printmaking course for 14-17-year-olds, with artist Janine Davidson;  fee: €45 Book here.

6 August – 8 August 2024, 10.30 am-12.30 pm
New Media! Three Day Summer Camp for 11-13 year-olds with artist Megan Scott.
Fee: €40. Book here.

From Parent and Baby tours, to Early Years, and more. Click the link below to find out more about our Explore and Learn programmes!

Find out more here
Plan your visit today

Fáilte Le Grá Café
Open from 10AM - 4PM.

Visit our on-site café, serving light breakfast, lunch, the best coffee and delicious baked treats

"A big, warm arty welcome for everyone. The menu changes daily and all dishes are cooked in-house, including savouries, cakes and other sweet treats. There’s also a secret garden spot – a lovely discovery in the heart of the city".
- Gemma Tipton, Irish Times

Gallery Bookshop
Open during gallery hours.

Make sure to visit our gallery bookshop offering a huge selection of gallery publications, art books, children's books, postcards, gifts and a selection of Irish hand-crafted jewellery.

Watch

We hope you enjoy exploring and looking back over some of our illustrated art talks, Study Mornings, seminars, concerts, and more on the Hugh Lane Gallery's YouTube channel here

Connect with us
Website
Facebook
Instagram
Twitter
TikTok
YouTube
Hugh Lane Gallery | Charlemont House, Parnell Square North, Dublin, Co. Dublin D01 F2X9 Ireland

Our mailing address is:
info.h...@dublincity.ie