How many independent films reach cinemas?

Stephen Follows

Sep 9, 2019, 5:42:32 AM9/9/19
to studionort...@gmail.com
Stephen Follows - Film data and education

Hi

Today I'm sharing the third of four joint research projects I've conducted with Bruce Nash of The Numbers, very kindly supported by the American Film Market.

This week we're looking at the likelihood of indie films reaching Domestic cinema screens.

You can read what we found at https://stephenfollows.com/how-many-independent-films-reach-cinemas/

Until next week,

Stephen

TODAY'S NEW ARTICLE ON STEPHENFOLLOWS.COM

For many independent filmmakers, whether or not their film reaches the big screen means everything.  No matter the money to be made via television deals or the massive audiences possible with VOD, a theatrical release is where it’s at.

https://stephenfollows.com/how-many-independent-films-reach-cinemas/

FILM DATA DIGEST
Articles, reports and news from the past seven days

How data is making hits and changing the music industry

How did Trippie Redd go from a virtual unknown to stardom? What took Logic from cult success to an artist who fills arenas? How do labels identify the superstars of tomorrow? The answers to questions like these have traditionally involved factors like touring, endless promo runs, and lucky breaks. But now, artists and the labels that build their careers are finding a new way to move up the ranks: data.

https://www.complex.com/music/2019/09/data-changing-music-industry

Toronto Film Festival buyers face harsh lessons after indie flops

"People have short memories," says Tom Quinn, founder of Neon, the indie distributor behind "Parasite" and "Apollo 11." "A lot of these failures are the result of companies chasing the moment and the headline. A big acquisition is alluring for a company that is ultimately trying to make a statement." Fortunately for the agents looking to sell movies, a number of players are hoping to make some noise. Emerging streaming services such as HBO Max and Disney Plus are in a race to snap up as much compelling content as possible as they arm themselves for a battle against Netflix.

https://variety.com/2019/film/festivals/toronto-film-festival-buyers-overpaying-1203322301/

Crazy Rich Asians co-writer quits after being offered eighth of writer's salary

Crazy Rich Asians co-writer Adele Lim has dropped out of two planned sequels to the hit romantic comedy, after learning she would be paid about an eighth of what another writer, Peter Chiarelli, would earn. Lim told the Hollywood Reporter her perspective was too often used as "soy sauce" – a dressing added to give a project the mere feel of cultural authenticity.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2019/sep/05/crazy-rich-asians-adele-lim-sequel-pay-disparity

TV manufacturers unite to tackle scourge of motion smoothing

The UHD Alliance, a collection of companies who work together to define display standards, has announced Filmmaker Mode, a new TV setting that’s designed to show films as they were originally mastered, with as little post-processing as possible.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/8/28/20836496/uhd-alliance-filmmaker-mode-lg-panasonic-vizio-motion-smoothing-interpolation-post-processing

Study finds progress in representation of marginalized communities in film

The report, which comes shortly after the Inclusion Initiative’s Latinx study with NALIP, took a comprehensive look at film examining 53,178 characters in 1,200 top films from 2007 to 2018. The numbers proved that things are definitely looking up.

https://deadline.com/2019/09/inclusivity-diversity-representation-marginalized-communities-film-usc-annenberg-inclusion-initiative-usc-stacy-l-smith-1202710100/

FROM THE ARCHIVES AT STEPHENFOLLOWS.COM

In honour of the release of IT Chapter Two, I thought I would highlight my increasingly important, revealing and profound 2016 study of clowns in movies.

It covers all the key data-crunching clown facts, including the number of such films, the genres of movies featuring clowns, whether a clown makes a movie better or worse and finally some clown movie recommendations.

You're most welcome.

https://stephenfollows.com/clowns-in-movies/

This email was sent to studionort...@gmail.com
© Stephen Follows, Erroneous Wit, Somerset House, London, WC2R 1LA, United Kingdom