Comedy Screenwriting Mastery Tomorrow...

Chris Jones

Mar 24, 2023, 2:44:34 PM3/24/23
to Stu Dio

FINAL CALL... Advanced Screenwriting Mastery: Comedy While developing this masterclass series, we uncovered a hidden truth. Almost EVERY single scree

Web Version   Preferences   Subscribe   Unsubscribe
comedy

FINAL CALL... Advanced Screenwriting Mastery: Comedy

While developing this masterclass series, we uncovered a hidden truth. Almost EVERY single screenplay would be improved by authentically working in some humour. Be it a snigger, a grin of recognition or a belly laugh to relieve tension, most scripts would benefit. And we know too, we have read thousands of spec scripts.

Now here’s the revelation. Many of these scripts were great, but they would have gone from good to great IF they managed to regularly tickle that elusive funny bone.

When: Saturday March 25th
Where: Online and Live (On demand for 1 year)
How Much: £47.99
Sign Up Here

Make ‘em laugh. It’s where the magic lives in a screenplay – disarming, engaging, welcoming, and entertaining.

Comedy is THE essential ingredient in activating the alchemy that makes a script of ANY genre a success with readers, producers, agents, and audiences.

Writing a Horror? Comedy makes them comfortable so you can discomfort them.

Writing a Romance? Well, Romantic Comedy is a whole genre of its own.

Writing a Drama? I’ll let Phoebe Waller-Bridge handle this one. Her advice? “Disarm the audience with comedy, then punch them in the gut with drama when they least expect it.”

Comedy on screen is so universally necessary that it has endured for more than 100 years of screenwriting. By evolving and growing – while maintaining fundamental principles and strategies.

In this chapter of the Advanced Screenwriting Mastery series, screenwriters can elevate their work by learning…

▪ How to create relatable and lovable characters that audiences will adore (just like the characters in “The Office,” “When Harry Met Sally,” and “Parks and Recreation”). Often it’s secondary characters who do this in non-comedy genres.
▪ How to weaving comedy into other genres (including “The Offer,” “Silence of the Lambs,” “Pulp Fiction,” and more!) so tension is released, truths are revealed and most important, endorphins are released in readers, producers and audiences.
▪ How to master the art of building comedic tension and delivering a satisfying payoff (a la “M3gan”, “The Last Of Us”, “Beverly Hills Cop,” and “Brooklyn Nine-Nine”).
▪ How to find your comedic voice, and then infuse your script with your own unique comedic take on the world (just like in “Monty Python’s Flying Circus,” “House Party,” and “The Mighty Boosh”).
▪ How to gut punch in the same moment as a laugh, the most powerful of comedy tools, often revealing devastating or hidden truths. This alone will push your script to the top of the spec script pile.
[...]

For almost all stories, it’s not about a ‘laugh a minute’.

It’s about laughter when it’s needed. Often unexpected. Sometimes delivering painful truths. For sure to relieve tension. But above all, to make your script stand head and shoulders above the spec script crowd. Sign up and elevate YOUR script now.

Wait... I want to get access to the entire Screenwriting Mastery series with ALL FIVE workshops...​

Get ALL FIVE of the live workshops, plus two additional pre-recorded classes for £199.

You can select individual workshops above OR buy the All Genres Package for £199 below and spend the next three months immersed in story, screenwriting and taking your career to the next level.

*All workshops are available online for one year.

Online Workshops In the series included in the £199 deal

✔️ Advanced Screenwriting Mastery Chapter One: Horror
NOW AVAILABLE ON DEMAND
Dive into the abyss… MORE HERE

✔️Advanced Screenwriting Mastery Chapter Two: Drama
NOW AVAILABLE ON DEMAND
The Beating Heart of ALL Screenplays… MORE HERE

✔️Advanced Screenwriting Mastery Chapter Three: Comedy
Saturday 25th March
Every single script is improved with at least SOME laughter… MORE HERE

✔️Advanced Screenwriting Mastery Chapter Four: Thrillers
Saturday 8th April
What happens next? Master the WHY of what keeps people turning the page… MORE HERE

✔️Advanced Screenwriting Mastery Chapter Five: Sci-Fi and Fantasy
Saturday April 22nd
Master the DNA of why Sci-Fi and Fantasy HOOKS audiences so effectively. The BIG idea and creating credible and compelling worlds… MORE HERE

✔️* BONUS ONE… Writing The Biopic: Based on True Stories (ON DEMAND NOW)
Free when you sign up to the Master ALL Genres Package, just £199 (for seven online workshops)… MORE HERE

▪ BONUS TWO… Any Additional Workshop FREE (complete list below) Free when you sign up to the Master ALL Genres Package, just £199 (for seven online workshops)… LIST HERE
BONUS TWO… Any Additional Workshop FREE (complete list below) Free when you sign up to the Master ALL Genres Package, just £199 (for seven online workshops)… LIST HERE

You can select individual workshops above OR buy the All Genres Package for £199 HERE and spend the next three months immersed in story, screenwriting and taking your career to the next level.

Recent Feedback For Bob

‘I have written drama for twenty-five years but despite of all writing experiences I get a lot of inspiration and new angles during the work shops with Bob. My entire body and mind are giggling from my happy expectations every time I enter LSW and Bob’s workshops.’
Cristina Gottfridsson, Writer
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

‘Bob is the best scriptwriting teacher I’ve ever had. I love everything about this course.’
Natasha Sutton Williams, Writer, Actor
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

‘I felt that the points were just as relevant to all forms of fiction, so that made it more appealing.’
Chris Lethbridge, Writer
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

‘It was just such a lovely mix of practical advice and real inspiration – just joyful and empowering too. Full of nuggets of wisdom, inspiration, practical information and warmth. I can’t recommend it highly enough. It teaches how to write, how to have a successful career and stay inspired at the same time. Thanks so much Bob!’
Varsha Shah, Screenwriter
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

hGiNEn3ZQLizggBEA1Cl bob

This series is run by screenwriter Bob Schultz. For more than 20 years, Bob has been training screenwriters , helping thousands of writers clarify their stories, reorganise their ideas and build confidence to bring the very best version of any writer, to the opportunities they create.

***

Help Shape The Next Decade For The London Screenwriters’ Festival… Prizes Too!

Every few years we reach out to our delegates and ask how we can best serve them through the festival and our related courses and projects.

Now that we are in a post pandemic world, we have seen dramatic changes in the industry, in our writing community, and in the way that people want to connect.

With the next London Screenwriters Festival just having been announced, I want to ask you what would make a real, tangible difference to your career, your writing and your future? We have a super short survey here for you...

And to say thank you for taking the survey, we are giving away access to ten of our on-demand online Screenwriting Courses with Bob Schultz, with lifetime access. If you are one of the lucky ten, you will get an email and you can choose which course you want and BOOM! You will have Bob at your desktop helping you on your next project!

Thank you in advance.

Let’s make it AWESOME!

Chris Jones
www.LondonScreenwritersFestival.com

Here's the link for the survey again...https://londonswf.link/survey-2023

***

Special Announcement

The London Screenwriters' Festival Returns!

Get your ultra early bird discounted pass now. CLICK HERE.

***

Other events coming up...

Advanced Screenwriting Mastery Chapter Three: Comedy (March 25th)
Almost EVERY single screenplay would be improved by authentically working in some humour. Be it a snigger, a grin of recognition or a belly laugh to relieve tension, most scripts would benefit. And we know too, we have read thousands of spec scripts.... MORE

Advanced Screenwriting Mastery Chapter Four: Thrillers and Mystery (April 8th)
Thrillers are elevated, bombastic drama, with escalating stakes, compelling mystery, and tightened pace. They are laced with surprise and revelation, and told through relatable characters, often set against a near unsurmountable force or nemesis. Of all genres to master, the thriller is the one that will impact your writing most significantly... MORE

fanstay sq

Advanced Screenwriting Mastery Chapter Five: The Fantastic and Magical Reality of Sc-iFi and Fantasy (April 22nd)
Whether it’s contemporary, period, relationship, or elevated non-fiction, the Drama Genre is the backbone of screenwriting and storytelling... Mastery of this single genre is essential for success in any other. MORE

LIVE in London: The Ultimate Crash Course to 'Surviving the Industry' with Joey Tuccio (May 20th / Workshops May 21st)
Top rated LondonSWF speaker and all-round rockstar for helping screenwriters, Joey Tuccio is in town to help YOU take that next big step in your career... MORE

Script Editing with Lucy V Hay (June 24th and 25th ONLINE)
What Is The BEST Job In The Screenwriting World? In our view, that would be script editing.
Why? Get to bring all your story, character, structure and industry skills to bear on helping writers go from good to great to produced. Unlike script reading, it’s not just about suggestions and feedback, it’s actual face to face collaboration and sometimes even fingers on keyboards storycrafting... MORE

Online and On Demand for One Year

Screenwriting Master Chapter One: Horror (NOW ON DEMAND AS PART OF SCREENPLAY MASTERY)
Injecting thrills, chills, tension and dread into ANY screenplay... Dive into the abyss… Master the dark heart of the Horror Genre... MORE

ONLINE AND ON DEMAND... How To Write Like Aaron Sorkin £33
Deep dive into the DNA of what makes Aaron Sorkin the most envied screenwriter on planet earth. Figure out how Sorkin does it, so that you can bring those skills and tools to your writing too. ... MORE

ONLINE AND ON DEMAND... Making A World Class Short Film
Crammed with experience, strategy, tactics, tech know-how, experts and covering every stage from concept, through prep, shooting, post, sales, distribution, festival and beyond… Lifetime access for £17.99... MORE

email facebook linkedin twitter wordpress

©2023 The Living Spirit Group including... LondonSWF // Create50 // Hard Copy // Guerilla Film | Ealing Studios, Ealing Green, London, W5 5EP

Web Version   Preferences   Forward   Unsubscribe