VAI Ebulletin - News, Jobs, Opportunities for 09/28/2022

1 view

Visual Artists Ireland

Sep 28, 2022, 6:05:07 AM9/28/22
to Stu Dio
Your weekly update on new open calls and opportunities for artists. Including exhibitions, funding, residencies, arts administration jobs and more.
View this email in your browser
28th September 2022

Table of Contents

VAI News

Art News

Job Vacancies

Opportunities Ireland

Opportunities International

Residencies

Commissions

Funding / Awards

VAI Lifelong Learning & Events

Workshops

Studio Vacancies

For Sale / Wanted / Other

Details

VAI News

Advertise with VAI in the Upcoming Issue of the Visual Artists’ News Sheet

The Visual Artists’ News Sheet is guaranteed the most affordable and cost effective platform for publicising art events, exhibitions, arts services, artists’ materials & equipment, notices of commissions & other opportunities for artists. We print and distribute 6000 copies per issue of this 40 page newspaper throughout Ireland six times a year, ensuring that your advertising is read as timely and relevant.

All advertising queries should be directed to:

Thomas Pool
News Provision
T: 01 672 9488
E: ne...@visualartists.ie

The deadline is fast approaching and if you have yet to reserve ad space please do so as soon as possible. We only have Inside Pages space left available.

As part of VAI’s push to become a more green organisation we now use biodegradable packaging for individual subscribers of the VAN.

Alongside the print advertising that we continue to offer in The Visual Artists’ News Sheet – VAI’s bi-monthly publication – we also offer digital banner adverts within VAI’s twice weekly eBulletin as well as promotional posts across VAI’s extensive social media platforms.

When placing an advertisement in the VAN, you can now maximise your audience with this new bundle (comprising an ad in the eBulletin, with the additional option of a targeted promotional post across VAI’s social media platforms) for an additional fee of €155.

We have recently simplified the process for our Facebook advertisements, and have optimised the pricing to produce over 10,000 views per post. If your target audience is smaller this can be adequately adjusted upon request.

As a result of this highly successful programme, we are excited to offer you a the VAN, eBulletin and Social Media Advertising Bundle, which comprises three strands:

  1. Print Advertisement (The VAN) – A well respected and durational advertising option, best suited to the promotion of forthcoming or seasonal programmes, events and opportunities.
  2. Digital Banner Advertisement (VAI eBulletin) – A responsive advertising option within our eBulletin (twice per week). This option is best suited to the promotion of immediate or short-term programmes, events and opportunities.
  3. Social Media Advertising (VAI Facebook Page) – A targeted advertising option to run in conjunction with Digital Banner Advertisements, best suited to the promotion of immediate or short-term programmes, events and opportunities.

Advertisers now have the option to promote different programmes or opportunities in print and online. These bundles are flexible with the needs of our advertisers in mind, to ensure that your ad is seen by the maximum amount of VAI readers and subscribers.

Who Are We?

  • Visual Artists Ireland is a trusted space and respected information resource.
  • VAI is in a unique position of having contact with artists, arts professionals and arts organisations on a weekly basis, through the various services we provide.
  • Recent VAI figures show that we directly engage with more than 80% of visual artists in Ireland.

VAI Reach & Engagement:

  • VAN Readership = 5000
  • eBulletin Mailing List = 12,000 subscribers (with a click rate of 46%)
  • Facebook = 26,500 followers
  • Instagram = 4,400 followers
  • Twitter = 13,000 followers

Returns for Advertisers:

  • Access to a concentrated visual arts audience across Ireland, Northern Ireland and beyond, who regularly engage with our services across multiple platforms.
  • Access to over 44,000 social media followers, located nationwide and internationally.

Additional Perks for VAI Member Organisations

  • VAI Member Organisations can now enjoy a 10% discount on all advertisements placed in the VAN as well as in the eBulletin.

You can refer to our updated 2022 Advertising Rate Card for a list of competitive prices, as well as technical specifications for your advertisements.

Please do get in touch to discuss these options or to book an advertising slot across one or more of these platforms. Since demand is already high and space is limited, advertisements will be placed on a first-come-first-serve basis.

To reserve advertising space contact Thomas at ne...@visualartists.ie

News

The Arts Council receives €130M funding as part of Budget 2023

From the Arts Council:

The Arts Council welcomes today’s announcement of €130M funding as part of Budget 2023. This funding enables the Arts Council to continue and deepen its investment in the arts. The Arts Council recognises that Covid-19 continues to have an impact on audience engagement and that the sector faces further challenges with issues relating to cost of living. Today’s funding announcement ensures that the Arts Council can provide meaningful support to the sector in the coming year.

Arts Council Chair, Prof Kevin Rafter said, “The decision to keep funding at €130M for a third consecutive year is welcome, and this money will allow the Council to continue to help the arts sector recover from the Covid-19 pandemic and to deal with significant cost of living increases. The Council will continue to make the case – as it has done over the last two years – for an annual budget of €150M to further develop the arts sector across the country.”

Arts Council Director, Maureen Kennelly said, “The Arts Council is delighted to welcome today’s budget announcement. The work of the Arts Council invests in thousands of artists and hundreds of arts organisations across the country while providing long-term sector development. Today’s funding announcement ensures it can continue this vital work.”

The Arts Council will continue to work closely with The Department of Tourism, Culture, Arts, Gaeltacht, Sport and Media, and Minister Catherine Martin, as we seek to place the arts at the heart of Irish life.

More information here.

Job Vacancies

Job Vacancy | Safeguarding Officer at the Arts Council

The Arts Council is the Irish government agency for developing the arts. We work in partnership with artists and arts workers, arts organisations, public policy makers and partners, to build a central place for the arts in Irish life. We currently have seventy permanent staff and ambitious plans to grow our permanent staff base over the coming 6-12 month period.

We currently have an exciting permanent, full-time opportunity at Executive Officer grade for a Safeguarding Officer.

This is an exciting temporary position for someone with excellent Project Management skills to develop and implement a Safeguarding Project Plan for the Arts Council. The role will involve a lot of interaction with both Arts Council staff and arts organisations and will require a high level of discretion.

Key deliverables will include developing and implementing a Safeguarding Project Plan; implementing a Quality Assurance Framework; supporting the delivery of training, briefings and updates for staff in relation to this area, as required.

The closing date for receipt of applications is 12.00 noon, Monday 17th October 2022

For more information and to apply click here.

The Arts Council is committed to a policy of equal opportunity and encourage applications from all sections of the community under all ten grounds as set out in our Equality, Human Rights and Diversity Policy (for more information, visit: https://www.artscouncil.ie/equality-human-rights-diversity/

Job Vacancy | Programme Delivery Manager at the Arts Council

The Arts Council is the Irish government agency for developing the arts. We work in partnership with artists and arts workers, arts organisations, public policy makers and partners, to build a central place for the arts in Irish life. We currently have seventy permanent staff and ambitious plans to grow our permanent staff base over the coming 6-12 month period.

We currently have an exciting permanent, full-time opportunity at Higher Executive Officer grade for a Programme Delivery Manager.

The Strategic Development Department in the Arts Council leads out on the development, implementation and evaluation of our strategy, Making Great Art Work, and related corporate policies. The Department supports staff to deliver the strategy and aligned policy objectives by establishing best practice approaches to research and evidence-based policy development.

The programme delivery manager will be responsible for organising programmes of work to support corporate policy delivery. Initially, the role will focus on the new climate action and digital arts policies that address the changing landscape for the arts as we meet the challenges posed by the climate crisis and take advantage of the positive role digital technology can play in our future.

The closing date for receipt of applications is 12.00 noon, Monday 17th October 2022

For more information and to apply click here.

The Arts Council is committed to a policy of equal opportunity and encourage applications from all sections of the community under all ten grounds as set out in our Equality, Human Rights and Diversity Policy (for more information, visit: https://www.artscouncil.ie/equality-human-rights-diversity/

Job Vacancy | Policy Officer at the Arts Council

The Arts Council is the Irish government agency for developing the arts. We work in partnership with artists and arts workers, arts organisations, public policy makers and partners, to build a central place for the arts in Irish life. We currently have seventy permanent staff and ambitious plans to grow our permanent staff base over the coming 6-12 month period.

We currently have an exciting permanent, part-time opportunity at Executive Officer grade for a Policy Officer – (with special focus on Paying the Artist).

As a Policy Officer you will support the development and implementation of the Arts Council’s Policy work including the Paying the Artist Policy. You will work across a range of connected projects which include research, developing capacity, monitoring, and advocacy.

The closing date for receipt of applications is 12.00 noon, Monday 03rd October 2022

For more information and to apply click here.

The Arts Council is committed to a policy of equal opportunity and encourage applications from all sections of the community under all ten grounds as set out in our Equality, Human Rights and Diversity Policy (for more information, visit: http://www.artscouncil.ie/equality-human-rights-diversity)

Job Vacancy | Human Resources Director at the Arts Council

The Arts Council is the Irish government agency for developing the arts. We work in partnership with artists and arts workers, arts organisations, public policy makers and partners, to build a central place for the arts in Irish life.  We currently have seventy permanent staff and ambitious plans to grow our permanent staff base over the coming 6-12 month period.

We currently have an exciting full-time opportunity at Assistant Principal for a Human Resources Director

The HR Director will partner with the Senior Management and Leadership Teams to help ensure the Arts Council has optimal organisational structures, people processes and robust people policies enabled by capability and systems to attract, develop and retain the best talent.  As a member of the Senior Management Team, the HR Director will effectively contribute to the delivery of the organisation’s strategic goals, partnering, developing, directing and advising on HR related activities. Aligned with Senior Managers and the Leadership Team, the HR Director will help drive continued organisation development through policy initiatives, practices and behaviours, ensuring alignment with Arts Council values, vision mission, goals and objectives.

The closing date for receipt of applications is 12.00 noon, Monday 3rd October 2022.

For more information and to apply click here.

This competition is being managed by Sigmar Recruitment. All queries are to be directed to Jennifer Ward at 01-4744660 or jw...@sigmar.ie

The Arts Council is committed to a policy of equal opportunity and encourage applications from all sections of the community under all ten grounds as set out in our Equality, Human Rights and Diversity Policy (for more information, visit: http://www.artscouncil.ie/equality-human-rights-diversity/

Job Vacancy | Creative Engagement Programme Manager at Dublin City Council Culture Company

Creative Engagement Programme Manager

Dublin City Council Culture Company’s work is focused on embedding cultural experiences and increasing cultural participation throughout Dublin’s neighbourhoods.

The Creative Engagement Programme Manager will co-manage the wider creative engagement team, oversee the delivery of agreed programmes and projects, and assist the department head in developing new projects and programmes in line with our company goals and values (as set out in the Company Strategy 2019-2024).

Within this key role in the department, you will build supportive and collaborative relationships with citizens, communities, cultural partners and artists, and further develop creative programmes which help to achieve our ambitious aims to connect the citizens of Dublin through culture and conversation.

Post Status:

  • Fixed term contract for three years, a six month probationary period applies.
  • This post is envisaged as full time (five days per week) however applications may be considered from suitably qualified candidates to take up the post on a part time (four day per week) basis.

Location: Dublin City Council Culture Company HQ, 14 Henrietta Street, Dublin 1, D01 HH34 and Richmond Barracks, Inchicore, Dublin 8.

Salary: Full time salary of €39,000 per annum (€31,200 for part time, four day per week option)

Working from home: The company facilitates working from home suitable to the requirement of the position, this can be discussed further with the successful candidate.

Job Vacancy | Creative Engagement Coordinator at Dublin City Council Culture Company

Dublin City Council Culture Company’s work is focused on embedding cultural experiences and increasing cultural participation throughout Dublin’s neighbourhoods.

We are seeking to recruit a Creative Engagement Coordinator. This person will be reporting to the Creative Engagement Programme Manager and working with the wider team, the Creative Engagement Coordinator will coordinate and administer our cultural and creative programmes activities, which run across our buildings and citywide.

Post Status:

  • Fixed term contract for three years, a six month probationary period applies.
  • This post is full time, five days per week

Location: Dublin City Council Culture Company HQ, 14 Henrietta Street, Dublin 1, D01 HH34 and Richmond Barracks, Inchicore, Dublin 8, D08 YY05.

Salary: Full time salary of €31,200 per annum

Working from home: The company facilitates working from home suitable to the requirement of the position, this can be discussed further with the successful candidate.

Job Vacancy | Part Time Assistant Arts Officer – Professional Development and Sustainability at Leitrim County Council

Applications are sought from suitably qualified people with the creative and organisational ability to drive the development and delivery of strategies, programmes and projects in the area of professional development within Leitrim County Council’s Arts Service.

For more information and to apply click here.

Job Vacancy | Part Time Assistant Arts Officer – Children and Young People’s Arts at Leitrim County Council

Applications are sought from suitably qualified people with the creative and organisational ability to drive the development and delivery of strategies, programmes and projects in the area of children and young people’s arts within Leitrim County Council’s Arts Service.

For more information and to apply click here.

Job Vacancy | Post-Doctoral Researcher at NIVAL: National Irish Visual Arts Library (NIVAL)

NIVAL is seeking to commission research that will enhance the understanding and visibility of visual artists resident but not born in Ireland and will increase representation in the NIVAL collection.

The project supports NIVAL’s remit to ensure that the diversity of visual arts activity in Ireland is represented and is freely available for research consultation. It is intended to address inclusion and equality concerns in collection development. An examination of the library’s acquisitions policy to identify gaps in the collection has highlighted a need to advance research into the activities of visual arts practitioners resident in Ireland but not born in Ireland in order to improve representation. The outcome of this research has the potential to be a useful and important resource for the sector, providing national and local demographic information to arts organisations that may inform programme development. As an exercise in collection policy development, the research methodology should be repeatable, with potential application to the study of other groupings of artists who are underrepresented in NIVAL, for example artists from the Travelling community and Outsider artists.

Role Description

The appointee will be responsible for a number of outputs associated with the project and will manage the project timeline, travel budget and other resources.

The project requires strong collaboration with arts organisations, building on NIVAL’s existing ties and networks. Engagement is expected with regional arts centres, local authority arts offices, studios and resource organisations, local libraries and community centres. A blended qualitative and quantitative method is expected with data gathering through questionnaires and interviews. Familiarity with and adherence to GDPR protocols is a requirement. Fluency in a language other than English or Irish is desirable.

Opportunities Ireland

Open Call | Submissions from Artists working with Climate Action/ Circular Economy at The Playhouse in Derry~Londonderry

The Playhouse in Derry~Londonderry are looking to hear from artists of all disciplines who have a strong interest in and who place climate justice and the circular economy at the heart of their practice. We would like to hear from visual artists, performers, storytellers, musicians, creative writers, photographers, etc.

There will be different opportunities available over the next 12 months as part of Artitude: Climate, Culture & Circularity, an exciting new partnership project that uses the arts and creative practice to encourage behaviour change and challenge attitudes to waste, consumption and climate action in the Northwest.

Paid Opportunities include:

●      Community Engagement: structured programmes of socially-engaged workshops with various different community groups, leading to a collaborative creative outcome. Subject to Access NI checks.

●      Skill-based workshops: one off workshops that introduce groups to zero-waste/climate based arts practice.

●      Talks/Events: opportunities to introduce climate/circular-economy based practice to a wider audience.

●      Showcasing: opportunities to exhibit or perform work made about climate action and/or the circular economy during an upcoming Climate Arts Festival.

Artists are invited to submit their CV and 6 images or extracts of work, along with a letter no more than 2 sides of A4 paper, showing the following under sub sections with headings:

●      Main artform/s

●      How your work/practice adheres to the principles of zero waste/circular economy OR how your work contributes to awareness of and action on the climate crisis OR how your work connects to awareness of the rights of nature and rebuilding connections to the environment.

●      Examples and images or extracts of work showing recent experience in the delivery of art workshops with community groups – if you are interested in this opportunity.

●      Examples of innovative approaches to creative participation and engagement; demonstrating a flexibility in approach to delivery methods regarding different groups – if you are interested in this opportunity.

Artists are also asked to provide the following:
●      Address

●      Email address

●      Contact telephone number

●      Name, address, email and telephone no. of 2 references

Please submit your expressions of interest electronically to: paula....@derryplayhouse.com

NEW Deadline for expressions of interest: 14th October 2022

Open Call | Re-Vision 2022 Performing Arts Festival, Belfast

Re-Vision Performing Arts Festival is a festival which works to promote social inclusion, diversity and equality through diverse performing arts. Re-Vision takes place annually in Belfast, Northern Ireland, this year from 25-27 November 2022. Under the title Play|Pause, it addresses how identities are negotiated through performativity and technology.

The process of digitalisation in contemporary society is inevitable. This digitisation we are dealing with not only refers to new technologies but also to specific ways of communication between ourselves and others. It changes the paths we take in everyday life, from culture to politics. New technologies continue to break new grounds and reveal our ever-changing perceptions.

For our 2022 programme, Re-Vision is working in partnership with Digital Arts Studios (DAS) who work to promote the convergence of art and technology. DAS was born out of a desire to support and encourage visual artists whose innovative work merges with digital technologies.

We invite submissions from artists and creatives who wish to explore and experiment with their multitudes in our digital age. Proposals on the following topics are encouraged but please note this list is not exhaustive:

  • performativity and authenticity;
  • relationships between performativity and technology;
  • human existence, visibility and identity in the age of technological change;
  • functions and values of performance;
  • the artist’s body as primary subject of representation;
  • change of perception due to technological developments;
  • curating as living/aesthetic experience.

CALL FOR ENTRIES:

Please submit a proposal that includes a short biography, work/proposed work along with 100 words (max) on why you believe your work fits into the ethos of this years theme. Please email proposals to revisionfes...@outlook.com by 23.59 Monday 17th October 2022.

We are calling out for artists for two different events:

Speak It Now Eat It will take place on the 25th November at Accidental Theatre. This is our opening event of Re-Vision Festival 2022. This event showcases emerging spoken word, video and film artists. Please note that this will be a live stream event and only accessible online. We especially encourage work that is collaborative and performative.

Seeing You Seeing Me will take place on the 26th November (Venue TBC). This event is dedicated to performance art rooted in experimentation. Whether you are an experienced performance artist or this is your first time performing, we want to hear from you!

Re-Vision Talent Show, ‘Between The Bias’is the closing event which will take place in Ulster Sports Club on Sunday 27th of November. The Open Call for this will be done via Instagram @revisionfestivalbelfast and will be released in the coming weeks.

Copyright of artwork will always remain with the artist. An introduction to the selected artists will be posted on the Re-Vision Instagram and Facebook page @revisionfestivalbelfast. Images/work will not be used for any other purpose and the artist will always be credited via social media.

Re-Vision Performing Arts Festival 2022 is funded by Belfast City Council.

Open Call | Exhibition Proposals to Cork County Council Library and Arts Service, LHQ Gallery

Cork County Council Library and Arts Service invites proposals for its LHQ Gallery 2023/24 Visual Art Exhibition Programme.

Closing date midnight Sunday, 16th  October 2022

General:

  • This callout is open to emerging and established professional visual artists, curators and arts organisations. Solo and group exhibitions are welcome.
  • Exhibition proposals should be for between 4 and 8 weeks duration. In certain circumstances (performance work, for example) we will consider proposals for shorter periods.
  • Three days will generally be allocated for installation and one day for de-installation.

Eligibility:

  • Artists working in any visual art or craft practice, including, but not limited to, painting, printmaking, photography, video, mixed media, sculpture, ceramics, metalworks, textiles etc.
  • Proposals for solo, two person, or group exhibitions are welcome.
  • While preference will be given to artists based in the Cork County administrative area, proposals from artists based elsewhere in Ireland or living outside the state are welcome.

Public Engagement:

  • Proposals that include public engagement events, for example an “in conversation” or a workshop are welcome. Garda Vetting is required for any workshop for under 18 year olds and vulnerable adults. There is an additional payment for public engagement activities.
  • The specific details of this public engagement will be mutually agreed between the successful applicant and the Arts Office.

What we offer:

  • Artist Exhibition Payment Right
  • Specific expenses (to be negotiated at contract stage; this will depend on the scale and ambition of the proposal) TBC
  • Communications and marketing
  • Curatorial support
  • Exhibition opening and refreshments
  • Limited support with installation/de-installation
  • There is no commission charge on sales.

Gallery Facilities

  • The LHQ Gallery consists of an enclosed white gallery space located on the ground floor of County Library Headquarters, County Hall. The dimensions are (w) 5.90m X (l) 10.83m (h) 3m.
  • An adjustable purlin hanging system is in place and in most cases, this should be used for the display of wall mounted artwork. In certain cases, other fixings may be used with prior agreement.  It is the exhibitor’s responsibility to ensure that proposed alternative fixings are safe and that walls will be left in original condition after their exhibition
  • Lighting is a mix of ceiling recessed general lighting and spotlights; lighting control to full blackout conditions is possible.
  • Power points are located in gallery floor and on East and West Walls.
  • There is one projector available (users must provide media player / Raspberry Pi / Mac mini etc).
  • 3D works may not exceed a weight of 730kg per metre squared.

Restrictions

  • Please Note: The LHQ is not an invigilated space – awareness of this factor should be taken into account in exhibition proposals. Artworks will be insured by Cork County Council.
  • The exhibition space is open Monday to Friday 9.00 am to 5.00pm. It is closed to the public at weekends.
  • The selected exhibition content must comply with Cork County Council Child Safeguarding Policies.
  • The gallery space is used periodically for meetings, workshops etc. during these periods the gallery is closed to visitors. Details of planned closures will be communicated to the artist when agreeing exhibition schedules. Unscheduled closures might be necessary at short notice; these will be kept to a minimum.
  • Sales of work will not be handled by Cork County Council Library and Arts Service and will be the sole responsibility of the artist. There is no commission charged.
  • Exhibition opening times limited to Library opening hours.

Opportunities International

Call for Submissions | PACT Zollverein: IMPACT22 – LOCAL FABRICS, ‘On Practices of Emergence’ (Germany)

The body, urban space, cultural and social relations, the biosphere, the technosphere, you name it – robust local structures that influence, disrupt and support each other while remaining visibly or covertly connected are at work everywhere. ‘On Practices of Emergence’ enquires into strategies, practices and processes that strengthen exchange relations on a local and immediately perceptible level. What are the epistemological resources we ought to cultivate and make visible because they continue to be marginalised and excluded?

IMPACT22 has signed up three experts – Selvagem – Cycle of Studies, Social Pleasure Center, and Boris Sieverts – as co-convenors who will provide thought-provoking impulses.

Their practice encompasses, interrogates and correlates urbanism, context-bound knowledge resources and body-based resilience experiences. They will take the participants on urban walks, introduce them to somatic activism and set up various dialogue formats.

IMPACT22 encourages possibilities for action in and invites proposals from a wide range of artistic, social, bodily, scientific, ecological and other relational practices.

To participate in the four-day symposium (9-13 November 2022), you can apply via the open call and enter your own contribution, which will be shared and discussed with other international experts in the second stage of the event, IMPACT’s two-day assembly.

Participants in the 4-day symposium receive a remuneration of 250€, travel costs, and accommodation.

Deadline: 8 October 2022

For more information and to apply click here.

Residencies

Open Call | Age and Opportunity Tyrone Guthrie Centre Residency Award 2022

The Age & Opportunity Tyrone Guthrie Centre Residency Award (in partnership with Meath and Louth County Councils) aims to support older professional artists to develop their practice, by creating time and space to think and reflect on their work and to bolster their peer network. This will be achieved through a dedicated bursary to attend a residency over the course of a week.

This award is a partnership between Meath County Council Arts Office, Louth County Council Arts Office and Age & Opportunity and is in association with the Tyrone Guthrie Centre.

Two artists (one based in Meath and one based in Louth) will receive a funded week-long residency in the Tyrone Guthrie Centre including a small stipend.

In order to apply, please read the full guidelines and fill in the application form.

Applications should be submitted to artsf...@meathcoco.ie if applying from Meath and ar...@louthcoco.ie if applying from Louth no later than 4pm, Thursday September 29th 2022.

Commissions

Public Art Commission | Public Art Feature for PEACE IV Shared Spaces and Services Programme

Experienced and suitably qualified competent suppliers are required to design, produce and erect a Public Art Feature. The artwork is to be situated at Common Space, The Square Rostrevor, Newry, BT34 3AZ. and is part of the PEACE IV Shared Spaces and Services Programme.

The contract period is expected to commence in January 2023 with completion by March 2023 (subject to extension approval).

All relevant submissions to be received on or before 8th November 2022.

To request further information or to be e-mailed the relevant application form please e-mail: pe...@nmandd.org.

A project supported by the European Union’s PEACE IV Programme, managed by the Special EU Programmes Body (SEUPB).

Cherrywood Educate Together National School Per Cent for Art Commission

Cherrywood Educate Together National School (CETNS) wishes to commission a site specific public artwork/s under the “Per Cent for Art Scheme”, funded by the Department of Education and Science.

Deadline 12 noon Tuesday 1st November, 2022.

Applications will only be accepted via the Application form.

Click here for more details and to apply.

Cherrywood Educate Together National School was opened in September 2020 with one small Junior Infants class. We operate under the core values of Educate Together and are committed to providing a child centred, co-educational, equality based and democratic education to all of the children who attend this school. Our teachers bring the curriculum to life by encouraging children to think, question and engage both with their teacher and with each other.

The first term of 2022 will see our community expand and we will move into our new school building. It is an exciting time for the whole school community and we welcome the engagement of an artist to help us explore, connect to and celebrate our new school space. For more information about our school and Educate Together see cherrywoodetns.ie

As part of the development of our new school, we are commissioning an artwork under the Per cent for Art Scheme funded by the Department of Education and Science. When envisioning an artwork for our school, the following things are important to us:

  • The place in which our school is located. The history and ecology of this place.
  • The connection between how we will use the internal and external spaces here.
  • The diverse community that makes up our school and how we celebrate our connections to each other.
  • Our Educate Together values of child-centred, co-educational, equality based, democratic learning.
  • A substantial creative process that will involve the children who attend this school in the development of
    an artwork.
  • An ambitious approach that could combine art forms, come from solo practice or bring more than one
    artistic practice to the project.
  • An imaginative and engaging artwork that is playful, interactive and may have multisensory elements.
  • An artwork that encourages curiosity and creativity for both our current and future school community.

The selection process will take the form of a two stage open competition. It is open to all interested professional artists at any stage of their career or experience. Selection will be based on the information supplied, establishing the competence of the artist to carry out the commission. International submissions are welcome. No designs or detailed proposals are required in Stage 1.

Artists are invited to express their interest in being considered for this project at the first stage of this commission. Please submit:

  • Application Form
  • Brief overview of your relevant experience and approach to the project (up to and no more than 500 words or hyperlink to 1-minute video or audio recording)
  • Images /hyperlinks of relevant previous work including date of projects (no more than 5 examples)
  • Your CV
  • Confirmation that if successful the artist is ready to submit current Tax Clearance Certificate and provide insurances. This confirmation is mandatory.

Items 2, 3 and 4 should be combined into a single PDF file of no more than 10MB and submitted via the application form. Unfortunately, we cannot support technical or upload issues beyond 10am on the closing date.

The closing date for receipt of Stage 1 completed application form together with supporting documentation and material is 12 noon Tuesday 1st November, 2022 via the application form.

A detailed brief will be supplied to selected artists at Stage 2 of the commission process.

The total budget for the project is €55,000.00 inclusive of VAT, and all other costs associated with the project including artist’s fee(s), participatory process with school community, materials, fabrication, supply and installation of artwork(s), travel, insurance, mediation signage, and any other costs incurred in the project process and production of the artwork(s). The artist will be responsible for meeting all of these costs from the total budget allocated.

It is anticipated that the project would commence in early 2023 and be completed by December 2023. The artist should demonstrate their ability to fulfil the project in this timeframe. The final timeline will be agreed
with the commissioned artist at contract stage.

Potential applicants can make enquiries regarding the commission to percen...@cherrywoodetns.ie. All queries should be made via email by Monday 03rd October 2022.

To view the full brief and to apply please click here.

Open Call for NI Artists | Commissioning Programme from ACNI

The purpose of the Commissioning Programme is to enable organisations to commission new work.

The finished work should be in a form capable of being presented, exhibited, published, performed and/or disseminated in its entirety at the point of completion in Northern Ireland (if applicable abroad) either live or online.

This programme prioritises applications that:

  • Propose commissions of high artistic quality;
  • Are planned to reach significant audiences primarily in Northern Ireland through live performance, exhibition, publication, broadcast, recording, and/or other audience channels;
  • Provide for an extended life and/or extended public reach and impact for the work or project that has been created;
  • Demonstrate a strong collaborative-engagement process between the commissioner, performers and the commissioned artist(s) in the development of the new work; and
  • Demonstrate innovation and deepen the experience and understanding of the artform.

All awards and programmes are informed by the Arts Council’s 5-year strategic framework (2019–24), Inspire, Connect & Lead (see here).

Commissions may be applied for across all artform areas supported by the Arts Council. Proposals may also be cross-artform.

Who can apply?

The Arts Council welcomes applications from the widest possible range of organisations. You will be required to provide proof that you have a legal constitution.

Who Cannot Apply

• Individual artists or sole traders applying to commission themselves
• Commercial trading companies
• Companies that exist to distribute a profit
• Broadcasters (excluding community service broadcasters)
• Central Government Departments
• Organisations applying to commission an artist who is a serving Board member or Trustee of that organisation.

Documents

Download guidance notes here

http://www.artscouncil-ni.org/images/uploads/publications-documents/ACNI-Commissioning-Programme-Sept2022.pdf

How to apply?

You must apply using our online system. We will not accept applications in hard copy or by email.

  • Online applications may be edited, saved and returned up to the closing date.
  • You must submit all mandatory enclosures associated with the application at the same time as your application, ie. they must be uploaded to your online application prior to its submission. These enclosures are listed on the Attachments page within the online application and are detailed below.
  • Please ensure that you leave sufficient time to upload all documents to the system as there can be long delays as the closing deadline approaches and the system will shut down at 12 noon precisely on the closing date, 31 October 2022. If your complete application is not fully uploaded when the system closes, your application will not be accepted.
  • If you submit your application by the closing deadline, you will receive an automated email advising that your application has been successfully submitted to the system. If you do not receive this email, your application has not been submitted.

Please remember that it is your responsibility to ensure that we receive the application form and uploaded enclosures by the closing time and date.

Online Applications

You must apply using our online system. We will not accept applications in hard copy or by email.

Download guidance notes here

http://www.artscouncil-ni.org/images/uploads/publications-documents/ACNI-Commissioning-Programme-Sept2022.pdf

Deadline for Applications

The deadline for applications is Monday 31st October 2022 at 12pm
Decisions will be made by Friday 16th December 2022

Funding / Awards

Open Call | Art 2023 – Participation Award from the Arts Council

Closing date 17:30, Thursday 13 October 2022
Maximum awarded €150,000
Artform and practice(s) Architecture, Arts participation, Circus, Dance, Festivals, Film, Literature, Music, Opera, Spectacle, Street arts, Theatre, Traditional arts, Visual arts, YPCE
Applicant type Individual Artist, Organisation
Collaborative application possible? Yes
Telephone 01-6180200/01-6180243
Email awa...@artscouncil.ie

In response to the final phase of the Decade of Centenaries Programme 2012-2023, the Arts Council is working in partnership with the Department of Tourism, Culture, Arts, Gaeltacht, Sport and Media to support the creation of a national programme, Art 2023.

This award is for professional artists and arts organisations to collaborate with communities across Ireland to create ambitious works of impact.

This award is a call to professional artists and arts organisations across all artforms to create ambitious work in collaboration with communities of interest and/or place. The outcomes of this award will form a programme of work contributing to the final phase of the Decade of Centenaries 2012-2023.

For more information and to apply click here.

VAI Lifelong Learning & Events

Visual Artists Help Desk with Elke Westen (Online or on phone) (3 October)

Do you have an area in your practice you need help with or would just like some advice on where to go next?

Artists can book a Help Desk session that will be held online. These Help Desks are free of charge for Members and Non Members.

Help Desks can be on any topic related to your practice or about general advice on supports available to you at this time.

Feel free to send on some information to us to make the most of your session, such as images of your work, exhibition proposals, links to website, or any applications you are currently working on that you would like a second opinion on.

We will contact you in advance of the meeting with a link to the Zoom meeting and your scheduled time. If you would prefer to talk over the phone let us know.

———–

Book a Help Desk with Elke Westen (Helpdesk & Advice).

Artists can book in for a 20 minute one-to-one appointment to discuss any aspects of their professional careers.

Topics we cover can include:

  • Funding applications
  • Proposals
  • Social welfare
  • Artist statements, bios and CVs
  • Signposting to relevant arts organisations and contacts
  • Strategic planning
  • Tax and finance
  • Website and social media
  • Networking

No Bookings Available? We hold these Help Desks regularly but if you find the sessions are fully booked or the date doesn’t suit you, please feel free to contact our Help Desk by phone on 01 672 9488, Monday – Friday, 9.30am – 5.30pm or email in...@visualartists.ie.

VAI DISCLAIMER: the information provided in this webinar/ clinic / helpdesk is general information only and does not constitute legal or commercial advice. No liability whatsoever is accepted by Visual Artists Ireland for any action taken in reliance on the information. Legal advice should always be sought from professionals on your personal situation or matters of a legal or financial nature.

Connectivity: Do you experience connectivity issues when engaging with online VAI events? If so why not search for the nearest BCP (Broadband Connection Point) in your area? To explore your options please visit: https://nbi.ie/bcp-map/

Venue Online
Starts Mon Oct 3 2022, 10:00am GMT
Ends Mon Oct 3 2022, 1:00pm GMT

Register Now!

Clinics | The Ethical Artist – Creating, Challenging, Meaningful Work in a Changing World (County Wexford based Artists Only) (12 October)

Event: The Ethical Artist – Creating, Challenging, Meaningful work in a Changing World

Format: Online Clinics (Online via zoom)

Date: Wednesday 12h October

Time: 1pm – 5pm

Description: Clinics offer focused 1-2-1 meetings with experts in their field. This supplementary set of eight 20 minute 1-on-1 clinic sessions will begin at 1pm for up to 8 County Wexford based Artists. Book now!

Tutor biography
The online clinics will be undertaken by environmentalist John Thorne who has been Glasgow School of Art’s Sustainability Coordinator since 2013: Working with designers, architects and artists his work seeks to broaden and deepen student experience, exploring how practice can connect us to ourselves and each other and promote social justice.

WEBINARS and ONLINE EVENTS: We use Zoom to host our online events. The following text should be followed and tested before registering for a Cafe or Help Desk Event. Zoom has an excellent Help Desk service if you are experiencing problems.

You will be emailed a link to the event in the confirmation email you receive after you have registered.

VAI DISCLAIMER: the information provided in this webinar/ clinic / helpdesk is general information only and does not constitute legal or commercial advice. No liability whatsoever is accepted by Visual Artists Ireland for any action taken in reliance on the information. Legal advice should always be sought from professionals on your personal situation or matters of a legal or financial nature.

Connectivity: Do you experience connectivity issues when engaging with online VAI events? If so why not search for the nearest BCP (Broadband Connection Point) in your area? To explore your options please visit: https://nbi.ie/bcp-map/

This event is brought to you in collaboration with County Wexford Council Arts Office.

Venue Online
Starts Wed Oct 12 2022, 13:00 GMT
Ends Wed Oct 12 2022, 17:00 GMT

Register Now!

Webinar | Social Welfare for Visual Artists (5 October)

Event: Social Welfare for Visual Artists

Format: Webinar (Online via zoom)

Date: Wednesday 5th October, 2022

Time: 3-4.30pm (1.5 hr webinar)

What should artists know about PRSI, Pensions, Health, Social Welfare entitlements etc. How might Budget 2023 affect you? Grainne Ward from the Citizen’s Information Service will give an update and will be at hand to answer any questions you may have during the session, You also have the opportunity to forward a question or query in advance of the session.

This session is free for VAI members.

———————————————————————————————————————

[...]

Starts Wed Oct 5 2022, 15:00 GMT
Ends Wed Oct 5 2022, 16:30 GMT

Register Now!

Webinar | How To Fill Out Your Tax Return via. ROS (For Artists And Freelancers) (28 September)

Event: How to fill our your tax return via ROS (for artists and freelancers)

Format: Webinar (Online via zoom)

Date: Wednesday 28th September, 2022

Time: 2pm (1.5hr webinar)

In this session Gaby Smyth will create a mock ROS profile and give a step by step walkthrough guide on how to fill in your tax return via ROS in the context of Artists and Freelancers involved in the arts.

Tutor biography

Gaby Smyth is a fellow of the Institute of Chartered Accountants and managing director with Gaby Smyth & Company Ltd., Business Consultants. He has provided business and taxation advice to individuals and companies for almost 20 years, specialising in the literary, music, film and theatre arts. Gaby has a keen personal and professional interest in the visual arts, promoting not just the work, but the role, of artists, through his work with organisations such as: Pallas Studios, Temple Bar Gallery and Studios, IVARO and VAI.  He is Chair of the board of Irish National Opera

To familiarise yourself in advance of this session you might like to look at the articles on Finance for Self Employed in our online Manual

———————————————————————————————————————

[...]

Starts Wed Sep 28 2022, 14:00 GMT
Ends Wed Sep 28 2022, 15:30 GMT

Register Now!

VAI Webinar | The Ethical Artist – Creating, Challenging, Meaningful Work in a Changing World (Online, 12 Oct.)

This event will highlight best practice considerations and techniques for visual artists who wish to reduce their environmental impacts, use materials with more awareness, and create art that challenges our ecological and societal perspective. Emerging and mid-level visual artists will gain key insights on the on the use of materials, of exhibiting work, travel, the power of art to emotionally connect us, and our proportional responsibility.

This interactive webinar will be led by environmentalist John Thorne who has been Glasgow School of Art’s Sustainability Coordinator since 2013: Working with designers, architects and artists his work seeks to broaden and deepen student experience, exploring how practice can connect us to ourselves and each other and promote social justice. It asks how can we emotionally support nature through art, and better engage people with environmental & ethical issues like climate change and biodiversity loss.

Through knowledge exchange, discussion and examples we will ask: Just how can artists help create less-impactful art, that meaningfully challenges us to create a more positive future?

Following on from this webinar, County Wexford based visual artists can avail of 1 of 8 twenty minute 1-2-1 clinics with John Thorne.

Date: Wednesday 12th October, 2022

Time: 11am (1.5 hr webinar)

This event is supported by Wexford County Council Arts Office.

Tickets:

Wexford Based Artists: FREE

VAI Members: €5

General Admission: €10

Book here: visualartists.ie/…

Workshops

Workshop | Glass Casting workshop with Eva Reddy at NSF

Eva Reddy will host a two day glass casting workshop designed to introduce artists to the process.

Material Laboratories is our new programmatic strand that will focus on specific material researches and medium specific practices through an intensified series of Masterclasses, workshops, lectures and open discussion.

Kiln it – a Festival of Glass and Glass Making is the first in this series and begins this October 2022.

Kiln it will be a series of 3 masterclasses featuring a variety of glass making techniques, and they will run in tandem with 3 online lectures by internationally renowned glass artists.

This two day workshop is designed to introduce participants to the process of glass casting. It is designed for beginners, although any skill level can be accommodated – whether one wants to brush up on established glass casting skills or use the workshop as a starting point for working with the beautiful material of glass.

The workshop will focus on the mould making process for open-face glass casts, and the programming and set up of the kiln, as well as health and safety practices for working with glass. Included in this workshop will be demonstrations of safely working with glass, the mould making process, clay sculpting, kiln set-up and clean up, and mould divestment.

Participants will work through a set project, articulating responses from concept, design to realisation.

Eva Reddy is an emerging illustrator and glass artist who is based between Co. Dublin and Co. Clare, Ireland. Best known for her Eidolon Arca series of cast glass foxes directly referencing her connection to the material and the craftsmanship from which the pieces are made. Since 2012, she has studied under incredible artists in Dublin, Helsinki, Washington, Pennsylvania, New York and Milan. She has received various scholarships for these studies and has been given many opportunities to create new work and experience new techniques to create.

Eva has exhibited her glass and illustrations internationally. She uses her experiences of city and country environments to influence her work which focuses on human nature and connection, or lack of, with the surrounding world that every person experiences.

This series of masterclasses is designed for practising artists only but they need not have had any experience of working with glass.

All participants will be contacted ahead of time by the facilitator with an info pack about the workshop, and what to bring with you for the weekend. Lunch will be provided both days by the NSF.

Book here.

Workshop | Pâte de Verre workshop with Sophie Longwill at NSF

Sophie Longwill will hold a two day Pâte De Verre masterclass where students will learn how to translate their ideas into paper-thin glass.

Material Laboratories is our new programmatic strand that will focus on specific material researches and medium specific practices through an intensified series of Masterclasses, workshops, lectures and open discussion.

Kiln it – a Festival of Glass and Glass Making is the first in this series and begins this October 2022.

Kiln it will be a series of 3 masterclasses featuring a variety of glass making techniques, and they will run in tandem with 3 online lectures by internationally renowned glass artists.

In this two day masterclass students will learn how to translate their ideas into paper-thin glass using methods inspired by the ancient technique of pâte de verre (glass paste). We will be experimenting with different tools and processes to add texture, pattern and surface details using finely ground glass powders to create unique and delicate artwork.

Students will learn:

Mould making and casting
Kiln schedules and programming for firing and slumping
Mixing glass powders to create a unique palette of colours
Powder printing using found objects and handmade stencils
Casting small found objects in glass
How to translate drawings and paintings into glass
Creating texture and patterns
How to create fusible elements such as stringers and wafers

Sophie Longwill completed a joint major BA (Hons) in Glass Design and History of Art and Design in the National College of Art and Design in Dublin in 2016. She served as a board member for the Glass Society of Ireland for 5 years and in 2019 she founded her company Longwill Studio. She has been recognised as one of Europe’s master artisans by the Michelangelo Foundation’s Homo Faber guide, and has been selected for Portfolio 2021-2022 – recognition by the Design and Crafts Council of Ireland as one of the Ireland’s top 100 makers. In 2021 she was granted an Agility Award by the Arts Council of Ireland and Makers to Masters Award by Bradley: the Brand Agency.

Her work has been selected for international and national exhibitions, including recent solo show In the Window, Bluecoat Display Centre, Liverpool and the International Biennale of Glass, Sofia, Bulgaria. Her work can be found in the permanent collections of Irish Life, Dublin, Kildare County Council, the DOX Centre for Contemporary Art, Czech Republic and the International Biennale of Glass Collection, Bulgaria.

This series of masterclasses is designed for practising artists only but they need not have had any experience of working with glass.

All participants will be contacted ahead of time by the facilitator with an info pack about the workshop, and what to bring with you for the weekend. Lunch will be provided both days by the NSF.

Book here.

Workshop | Painted Glass workshop with Debbie Dawson at NSF

Debbie Dawson will hold a two day glass painting masterclass where students will explore experimental painting and sandblasting.

Material Laboratories is our new programmatic strand that will focus on specific material researches and medium specific practices through an intensified series of Masterclasses, workshops, lectures and open discussion.

Kiln it – a Festival of Glass and Glass Making is the first in this series and begins this October 2022.

Kiln it will be a series of 3 masterclasses featuring a variety of glass making techniques, and they will run in tandem with 3 online lectures by internationally renowned glass artists.

This two day masterclass will explore experimental painting and sandblasting on float glass.

Day one we will use oxide and enamel paints with a variety of mark making tools and implements to create a series of abstract images on the surface of the glass. The glass is then fired in a kiln overnight.

Day two we will explore the sandblasting process where the surface of the glass is abraded to create tonal and textural elements. We will use a variety of resists, stencils and other materials to achieve expressive, gestural marks on the glass.

No prior experience necessary but please bring some drawings/images to use as inspiration.

Debbie Dawson is a Cork born visual artist working with glass and painting. She has been part of numerous group exhibitions locally, nationally and internationally including USA, China, Germany, Denmark and UK. She has had solo shows in both Cork and Shanghai She has extensive teaching experience delivering workshops in Shanghai University, Bild-Werk Academy in Germany, numerous artist-in-prison schemes and is a part-time lecturer in CCAD.

She has received awards from the Arts Council, Cork City Council, Design & Crafts Council of Ireland, Cork County Council, Twinning Cities Grant, and Culture Ireland. Her work is in many private and public collections including Cork County Council, UCC, Shenglin Gallery, Shanghai and the National Museum of Ireland.

This series of masterclasses is designed for practising artists only but they need not have had any experience of working with glass.

All participants will be contacted ahead of time by the facilitator with an info pack about the workshop, and what to bring with you for the weekend. Lunch will be provided both days by the NSF.

Book here.

Workshop | Colour in Nature – Eamon Colman, Artform

Course Date:  24th – 26th October 2022
Medium: Acrylic, oil, pigment and gouche paint
Participants: Maximum 8
Course level: All levels welcome
Course Cost: €370

The aim of this three-day workshop is to develop individual colour recipes inspired by and applicable to the landscape around us, to create a sample repertoire of tonal glazing techniques that will be developed into larger works.

Using Werner’s Nomenclature of Colours as a foundation, we will explore his tonal colour applications in the natural environment, organic and found ‘weathered’ objects from nature will be brought into the studio.

We will explore the colour pallet by working with the layering of complimentary and contrasting colours to create tonal ranges applicable to the selected natural item – looking at how both natural and artificial light changes and affects this tonal range.  Working from the sample index, glazing and tonal techniques will be put into practice through the creation of a larger [still life / nature] composition.

During the workshop, I will discuss the mix of traditional techniques and their contemporary application within my art practice – using pigment, oil and water based paints – through demonstrations, examples and group work, time will be given to work with each participant individually.

* The course takes place in Artform modern light-filled seaside studio with 24hr access for each visiting artist, and runs from 11am to 5pm on the first day and from 10am to 4pm on the subsequent days. Cost does not include accommodation, on request Artform offers artist accommodation options. Details on art materials and safety will be provided after signing up to the course. Artform operates Health and Safety studio policy in keeping with updated national guidelines (for further information please see here https://www.artform.ie/covid-19/).

Workshop | From Life! – PJ Lynch, Artform

Course Date: 21st – 23rd October 2021
Medium:
 Oils, Charcoal
Participants: Maximum 10
Course level: Beginners – Advanced
Course Cost: €360

“Throughout my career as an illustrator, I have continued to paint and draw regularly from life as a way of keeping my skills honed, however, in recent years I paint and draw more and more just for the challenge, and for the sheer love of it. I want to share my passion for representational art with the artists who join my course.

We will paint in oils and draw in charcoal, and our subjects will be people and places and objects. We will work hard, we will learn techniques and theories, and, I promise, we will have a lot of fun too.”

* The course takes place in Artform’s modern light-filled seaside studio with 24hr access for each visiting artist, and runs from 11am to 5pm on the first day and from 10am to 4pm on the second day. Cost does not include accommodation, on request Artform offers artist accommodation options. Details on art materials and safety will be provided after signing up to the course.

Workshop | Aspects of Landscape Painting – Dave West, Artform

Date: 26th – 27th November 2022
Medium: Oil Paint
Participants: Maximum 10
Course level: The course is suitable for all levels but please be aware that a basic competence in oil painting techniques is needed.

During this two day studio-based course Dave will introduce participants to the essential building blocks of representing the landscape in oil paint. These crucial aspects of theory will enhance your existing painting practice and allow you to move beyond simply painting ‘what you see’, allowing you to be more adventurous, creative and create more dynamic paintings. Each day will be a combination of classroom based tuition and some painting time to practice the concepts learned.
This course is suitable for all levels of ability but you should have a decent grasp of painting in oils before commencing.
Topics covered will include:
  • Selecting a scene, editing and composition
  • Value map and plane changes
  • Theory behind skies and sunsets
  • Mixing greens and painting trees
  • Aerial perspective
* The course takes place in the beautiful Artform modern light-filled studio with 24hr access for each visiting artist, and runs from 11am to 5pm on the first day and from 10am to 4pm on the subsequent days. Cost does not include accommodation, on request Artform offers artist accommodation options. Details on art materials and safety will be provided after signing up to the course. Artform operates Health and Safety studio policy in keeping with updated national guidelines (for further information please see here https://www.artform.ie/covid-19/).

Workshop | Art Courses by the Sea from Artform Dunmore East

Artform School of Art offers residential artist-led art workshops and masterclasses in the beautiful coastal village of Dunmore East, co. Waterford.

Our in-studio and plein air courses for all levels of skill in a variety of styles and media run from 2-5 days. They are hosted by some of Irish leading artists including Eamon Colman, Michael Wann, PJ Lynch, Tony Robinson, Julie Cusack, Maurice Quillinan, John Short, Mary O’Connor, Aidan Crotty, Gabhann Dunne, Dave West, Shevaun Doherty, Steve Browning, Neal Greig and others.

The courses take place in Artform modern light-filled seaside studio with 24hr access for each visiting artist and around the beautiful coastal village of Dunmore East, with artist accommodation and options for artists’ non-painting partners.

For information on full selection of courses, artist accommodation and art course gift vouchers please visit www.artform.ie.

Workshop | THE PORTRAIT IN OILS with Nicholas Robinson at Block T

THE PORTRAIT IN OILS with artist Nicholas Robinson // Starts Thursday November 3rd // 10:00 – 13:00

“The painter must always seek the essence of things, always represent the essential characteristics and emotions of the person he is painting.”  -Titian

Skillsets presents The Portrait in Oils, a 5 week Portrait-Painting course with artist Nicholas Benedict Robinson (NCAD/ Florence Academy of Art graduate, Hennessy Portrait Prize finalist, Zurich Portrait Prize finalist, Royal Society of Portrait Painters/ RHA /RUA exhibitor.)

Participants will paint from the live model on this 5 week course. In a step-by-step process we will learn the skills necessary to develop three-dimensional form, explore the light effect and develop a likeness of the sitter. Instruction focuses on observation skills, use of materials, mixing, colour theory and painting technique. Instruction is on an individual basis so all levels are welcome. The course runs for 3 hours every Thursday morning for the 5 weeks.

nicholasbenedictrobinson.com/

Course Fee: €245

* Some materials supplied though a small materials list will be sent to each participant

Location: The Skillsets classroom, Digital Court Building, Rainsford St (behind St Catherine’s Church), Dublin D08 R2YP

Book here.

Workshop | Botanical Watercolours – Autumn Colours at Block T

Botanical Watercolours – Autumn Colours // A Weekend Workshop with artist Shevaun Doherty // Saturday October 29th & Sunday October 30th // 10:00 – 16:30

”Autumn is a second spring when every leaf is a flower” – Albert Camus

Golden leaves, bronze conkers. and shiny red berries- these Autumn treasures are a delight to find and inspiring to paint. Join award winning artist Shevaun Doherty for a weekend of painting Autumn hues in watercolour!

This two-day Botanical Art Workshop will unravel the mysteries of colour mixing and show you how to achieve rich brilliant colour on paper.

Learn how to use washes, glazes, and drybrush effectively to create realistic light and form, and how to build up vibrancy and texture through layering.

An experienced tutor, Shevaun will demonstrate her painting techniques as well as giving practical advice on how to set up botanical subjects for painting, how to choose the right colours, and how to finish and present your artwork.

Whether you are a beginner or simply wish to improve your painting skills, this friendly and informal class will inspire you to pick up your brushes and enjoy the colours of Autumn.

The class will cover:

 Creative Colour Mixing and Layering

 Tonal awareness – painting highlights, reflected lights and cast shadows

 Watercolour techniques – washes, glazes, and dry brush

 Studio tips

Course Fee: €180

*Some materials supplied, though a small materials list will be sent to each participant

Book here.

Workshop | Figure Drawing with Artist Sahoko Blake

Figure Drawing // A Weekend Workshop with Artist Sahoko Blake // Saturday October 15th & Sunday October 16th // 10:00 – 16:00

SKILLSETS are delighted to welcome artist Sahoko Blake back to BLOCK T Studios for a new Figure Drawing Weekend Workshop. Over 2 days and working with a live model, students will develop the skills and techniques essential in life drawing.

Each session will start with warm up sketches and gestural short poses. We will look at Skeletal and Head drawing systems, as well as focus on anatomical drawing lessons. Composition and drawing with paint will also be covered under the expert guidance of the artist. This short course is suitable for beginners and also those looking to develop their skills and techniques.

Course Fee: €200

* Some materials will be provided, though a small materials list will be sent to each participant.

Book here.

Workshop | Screenprinting Course at Graphic Studio Dublin

Tutor: Aoife Scott

Dates: Saturday 8th & Sunday 9th October, 10am to 4pm

This course will provide an introduction to screen printing processes over a two day workshop. You will learn how to make stencils using our state of the art Kippax print tech exposure unit using your own art work. This is exposed onto an emulsion-coated screen with ultraviolet light.

Using this method you will explore the diversity and immediacy of screen printing whilst learning the processes of coating, exposing and printing. You will also learn to register, mix, choose colours and complete a professionally presented work of art.

Book here.

Workshop | Linoprint Course at Graphic Studio Dublin

Tutor: Louise Leonard

Date: Saturday 8th & Sunday 9th October 2022, 10am to 4pm

Students will be introduced to basic printmaking practice and will develop these skills over the duration of the course. The course is aimed at those who have an interest in printmaking; however it is also suitable for people who are new to art. The course will cover the entire process of cutting and printing from the linoleum block, allowing participants to explore their own work and develop ideas through this medium.

Materials:
As students will be working from their own ideas, it is important to bring some drawings, photographs or other images as source material.

Students will be provided with a start-up supply of lino, paper and inks. Latex gloves and rags are also provided. We will be working at an A5 size.

It is necessary to bring:
– some ideas and drawings, photos, or source material, an apron, pencils, tracing paper, carbon paper and a black waterproof marker with a medium tip if possible.

Book here.

Workshop | Etching and Aquatint Printmaking Course at Graphic Studio Dublin

Etching & Aquatint Printmaking Course

Tutor: Clare Henderson

Date: Saturday 1st & Sunday 2nd October, 10am-4pm

This course is suitable for: Beginners & Intermediate.

This weekend class will focus solely on etching and printing aquatint and all that entails. Aquatint is a process etchers use for achieving tone in an etched image. Don’t worry about the jargon- this can be a beginner class, as everyone works at their own level. Being a black and white or color photo, drawing or painting as a starting point for this immersive and creative weekend.

Materials:
Please bring pencils, notebooks, small paintbrushes and other drawing and mark making materials with you. All printing materials will be provided.

Book here or email: educ...@graphicstudiodublin.com

Workshop | HOW TO FINISH YOUR PAINTING WITH IMPACT with JOHN DINAN

Issues covered include – overall composition, tonal design, colour harmony, placing focal points, creating maximum interest, the importance, type and placement of edges, creating movement around your painting, the various ‘opposites’ that transform a painting, and how to create harmony and unity in your finished work.

Book here.

Workshop | STILL LIFE IN PASTELS with DAVE WEST

Over the duration of this weekend workshop Dave will guide participants step-by step through his methodical process of creating a colourful still life pastel drawing. The course will be divided into 4 sections from subject and planning to finishing touches and for each section Dave will demonstrate his approach then allow participants to work on their own drawings with one-to-one guidance. Over the 2-days you will get guidance in all aspects of pastel drawing including subject choice and composition, colour theory and how to create vibrant colour mixes through cross hatching and layering.

Book here.

Workshop | Beginning with Oils with Sinead Lawless

On this course, Sinead shares her process of starting a still life painting in oil paint. Sinead’s main focus is helping her students to understand the different qualities of their materials e.g. how to mix colours consistently, different ways to apply paint, and how to create texture. Becoming comfortable with the medium of oils is the goal and subsequently exploring the different ways this medium can be used and enjoyed.

Book here.

Workshop | DRAWING THE NUDE FROM LIFE with SAHOKO BLAKE

This weekly in-studio course is an excellent way to really focus on developing your skill and techniques in life drawing. Each class is dedicated to life drawing under the guidance and expertise of professional artist Sahoko Blake.

Book here.

Workshop | Book Assemblage with Limerick Printmakers

LP are hosting an exciting weekend course for all levels this October, giving participants an opportunity to explore and experiment through two different & distinct processes over a single weekend – that of book assemblage and painterly silkscreen printmaking in an abstract style.

Tutor Suzannah O’ Reilly will first guide participants on printing using silkscreen without specific or preplanned designs. A range of colours will be available for participants to choose from, with combinations of blends of multiple colours encouraged to create unique abstract imagery through silkscreen.

Suzannah will also teach two forms of book assemblage, with the group each making both a flexigon (accordion book), & an origami star-book using paper & sections of participant’s own artwork created during the course. Participants are also encouraged to bring any drawings and prints they may have previously made that they would like to consider including within their artist books.

This two-day course supports experimentation through exploring 2D & 3D techniques. Participants will develop a range of skills with full support of LP tutor Suzannah O’ Reilly and will create two artist books made up of their own imagery over the weekend. All material costs are included in the course fee.

Please note that LP offers a range of specific silkscreen focused courses, while this course instead utilizes a silkscreen technique to create abstract artwork with each participant that will then be used in making artist books. If you are unsure as to which course best suits your needs, please call LP & we will be happy to advise.

LP tutor Suzannah O’ Reilly is a hugely prolific artist, printmaker and educator.
She is a lecturer at Limerick School of Art and Design, and co-founder/ co-director of Parallel Editions, a fine art print editioning company based in Limerick city.

Please email/ call LP on 061 311806/ limerickp...@gmail.com stating which course you wish to book.
Please include a contact phone number & email address to register for the course.
Our team will then respond & arrange payment.

LP requires course payments to be paid in  full within 2 weeks of booking/ a minimum of 7 days before the course commences – which ever is applicable based on date of booking.

LP welcomes enquiries related to any of its courses.

Workshop | Silk Painting with Angelika Dunne

This 2-day silk painting course is designed and run by artist Angelika Dunne, an experienced teacher who will supply participants with all the necessary materials. Angelika will provide some samples and conduct a demo at the start. Participants will then get to practise using a number of techniques to develop the necessary skills before progressing to the silk scarves. The course can be enjoyed by everyone without any previous experience of painting.

At the end of the workshop participants can expect to bring home their pieces and to have enjoyed expressing their creativity in a fun and easy way.

To book your place visit www.mulrannyarts.com

Bring a packed lunch.

Workshop | Pâte de Vere with Alison Lowry

In this 2 day intensive workshop, participants will explore the ancient technique of pâte de verre (glass paste) to create unique pieces in two dimensions and three dimensions.

All the essentials will be covered in the class—mixing glass, hand building moulds, firing and divesting. No prior experience with glass is required.

The basic principles of pâte de verre will be explained and step by step demonstrations given by Alison Lowry.

Once these are understood, experimentation is encouraged!

Please contact us via email or telephone if you require accommodation which is included in the booking fee, if required.

Only 2 places left!!

Workshop | Zero Waste Crafts and Repairs + Textiles (Sewing, Knitting & Crochet) at The Learning Garden School

Join our Zero-waste Craft group and have fun exploring exiting projects while learning the basics. Create Patchwork/quilting designs, Beautiful old fashioned toys, Basic weaving, Home decorations in wood and fabric, a mini Bookbinding project and much more.. including the wonderful option to Repair accessories and clothes you love. Open to all levels.

€135 if you mention VAI (instead of €165) for the 10 weeks. All materials included + tea/coffee.

Booking is essential – contact: thelearningg...@gmail.com

Workshop | Creative Drawing, Painting and Illustration at The Learning Garden School

Learn all the basics of Creative Drawing, Painting and Illustration, find your voice or further your own experience as a beginner or experienced artist, illustrator or comic-book author. Work on personal projects, try new exiting subjects, fish for new ideas and inspiration and explore a rich variety of mediums. Teacher with 30 years of experience & M.A. in painting. Open to All levels including absolute beginners.

€135 if you mention VAI Newsletter (instead of €165) for the 10 weeks. All materials provided + tea/coffee

Booking is essential. Contact: thelearningg...@gmail.com

Studios

Studio Vacancy | Studio Space Available Dublin City Centre, A4 Sounds

Studio Memberships Available at A4 Sounds!

Memberships start at €75 per month

Shared studio space in Dublin city centre.

Facilities available include a print area, a darkroom, a kiln, a workshop and more. You’d also be joining a community of artists, with professional development opportunities such as grant application support available to members.

Who?

A4 Sounds is a multidisciplinary artist studios and gallery. A4 offers support to artists at each point in their creative process through access to arts production equipment, mentoring and training programs, and events facilities. We aim to provide professional artists with a rich environment to develop their practice, to experiment with ideas, and to collaborate with others across disciplines. Our member artists work in a wide range of disciplines including print, textiles, activism, socially engaged art, film, documentary, animation, illustration, sculpture, performance, new media and more. If you are looking for more than just a desk in a room get in touch!

As a socially engaged organisation we have also have a keen interest in applications from artists working in the following disciplines: Social Practice, Social Justice, Social Intervention, Socially Engaged, Dialogical, Participatory, Critical Thinking & Research, Activist, Political, Relational, Community, Collaborative Art or New Genre Public Art.

For Sale / Wanted / Other

Wanted | Co-Director at Catalyst Arts 2022 (Unpaid)

Please note: this is an unpaid volunteer position.

We are welcoming applications to become a Co-Director at Catalyst Arts.

Application deadline: 17th of October, Midnight.

We are encouraging applications from passionate individuals who are interested in joining a collaborative board, who centre peer-learning and experimental approaches within the visual arts. As a Catalyst Co-Director, you will learn a range of skills, and have the opportunity to immerse yourself within the arts ecology of Belfast and beyond. If you would like to gain experience in the operational running of an arts organisation, curation, project management, research and technical skills, we encourage you to apply.

This is a voluntary position with a two-year commitment following a trial and training period.

Please note, due to time commitments we are asking for applicants to be based in or close to Belfast as you will be required to travel for weekly meetings, events and gallery invigilation.

Catalyst Arts is a registered charity, artist-led space and member’s led organisation.

~~

To Apply:

The full volunteer description can be found here.

The volunteer application form can be found below:

PDF Format

Word Format

Please email your completed application form to cataly...@gmail.com. Invitations to interview will be sent in November/December.

~~

If you would like to apply, but have particular access needs or submitting a written application is difficult for you, please get in touch with Catalyst at cataly...@gmail.com by email and we can arrange an alternative application method.

Catalyst Arts strives to be an Equal Opportunities employer, and we particularly encourage applications from those who identify as underrepresented in the arts, for example Black and POC artists, artists from lower socio-economic backgrounds and artists from the traveller community.

We recommend that you check all eligibility criteria carefully. As the All Ireland representative body we aim to advertise opportunities available to all artists. But with new restrictions, some opportunities may only be available to artists in the Republic of Ireland, the EU or specifically in Northern Ireland or the UK.
Facebook Facebook
Twitter Twitter
Website Website
Email Email
Instagram Instagram
NI Website NI Website
Principal Funders
Corporate Sponsors
International Memberships

GDPR Compliance

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to VAI's eBulletin service which provides information on VAI, Visual Arts News, Jobs, Opportunities, Exhibitions, and Events. The eBulletin is a double opt-in service, which means that you confirmed to us that you wished to receive these updates. The date on which you confirmed your subscription is on file and can be provided to you upon request. If you wish to update your subscription or stop receiving these emails from us, please use the following links

Visual Artists Ireland's Privacy Policy provides a full understanding of how we manage your data as part of our service delivery to you.

Visual Artists Ireland - Ealaíontóirí Radharcacha Éire

Head Office
Windmill View House,
Oliver Bond Street,
Dublin 8.
Tel: +353 (0)1 672 9488
Fax: +353 (0)1 672 9482
Email: in...@visualartists.ie

Northern Ireland Office
109 - 113 Royal Avenue,
Belfast, BT1 1FF
Email: in...@visualartists-ni.org

Registered Charity No. CHY 9629

Patron: Michael D. Higgins
PRESIDENT OF IRELAND

Copyright © 2022 Visual Artists Ireland, All rights reserved.

Update subscription preferences
Unsubscribe