#151: PROJECT RAVEN reveal! From: Declan Shalvey from Declarations

Studio NI

Jul 2, 2024, 6:27:01 PM (7 hours ago) Jul 2
to studio...@googlegroups.com

DECLARATIONS

#151: PROJECT RAVEN reveal!

PROJECT TATTOO revealed also

Jul 2

READ IN APP

ALL THE LATEST

Man, I’m glad I announced OLD DOG OPERATIONS in the last newsletter, as there’s a lot to cover in this Declarations. Namely, the reveal of both PROJECT RAVEN and PROJECT TATTOO. More on that below.

-Got four covers done the week before last; my last STAR TREK of a series [more below], a THUNDERCATS cover[#9], a STAR WARS cover and one for Issue Two of PROJECT RAVEN. Got another THUNDERCATS cover[#10] inked last night, will colour it once I get a chance.

-Wrote that issue of PROJECT RAVEN in the same week too [starting to pencil today], as well as chipping away on the first script for PROJECT NETWORK [which is now done]. A couple of pages have arrived in my inbox and they look fantastic. Hyped for this book.

-Got some new graphic novels! God knows when I’ll get a chance to read them

-Marvel announced a new series titled SPIRITS OF VENGEANCE written by [MOON KNIGHT TV show scribe] Sabir Pirzada and drawn by Sean Damien Hill. I did the below variant for the book, channelling all my Howard Mackie/Salvador Larocca 90’s GHOST RIDER love.

-Last week was a lot of meetings, one was with editors regrading PROJECT TATTOO. Had some notes on my script which meant I needed to revise it a bit so that the artist can get started. Again. more on that below. Story meeting with another writer and my editor regarding PROJECT RAVEN. Also, a call about future plans with THUNDERCATS among other stuff, all while pencilling my OPERATIONS story and doing layouts for PROJECT RAVEN. Phew!

-I missed that this was solicited, but I did a variant cover for WOLVERINE: DEEP CUT #1 that’s out tomorrow. Had the rare treat of having Matt Wilson providing glorious colours on this one.

-It looks like my appearances are all locked down for San Diego Comic Con; four panels, one publisher signing and limited signing times. I’ll have my final signing times in the next Declarations when they’re finalised. In the meantime, here’s a heads up for the panels I’ll be on…

FRIDAY
Dynamite Entertainment’s 20th Anniversary Celebration 11:30AM-12:30PM [Room 5AB]
Warner Brothers Discovery/Dynamite Entertainment 2:30PM-3:30PM [Room 10]
SATURDAY
Xmen From The Ashes 3-4PM [Room 6A]
SUNDAY
Image Comics panel 11.30-12.30PM [Room TBC]

Thanks for reading Declarations! Subscribe for free to receive new posts and support my work.

PROJECT RAVEN MYSTIQUE

Project reveal! At the end of last week, Marvel announced MYSTIQUE as part of their upcoming X-MEN: From The Ashes relaunch. I am both writing and drawing the mini series, with colours by Matt Hollingsworth.

Yes, some project code-manes are more obvious than others.

I’ve been slaving on this for a while trying [to keep everything else moving at the same time], but I’m having a blast. Especially with the X-MEN ‘97 animated series out lately, it was very fun to watch some nostalgia-fueled-yet-exciting X-MEN material at lunch then head back up to the studio to write and draw my own X-Men book! I mean, what is my life?

This came together as I was wrapping on ALIEN scripts and had an eye to write another book at Marvel. It had been announced that Tom Brevoort [who has a great Substack btw] was taking over the line. In a clear moment of fanboy desperation, I sucked up my pride/abandoned my dignity and reached out to Tom, just to let him know I’d like to throw my hat in the ring to write one of the X-books. My ego prefers it when people reach out to me but feck it I thought, no crime in letting him know I was interested. We have worked together and it’s not like I’m a stranger at Marvel. No harm, no fowl.

As it turned out, Tom’s interest was piqued. After a bit of back-and-forth as to what I’d be interested in doing, he assigned me to editor Darren Shan and we talked about some options. One thing I said to Darren was “If we’re doing an X-Men book, we need a cool artist” to which Darren responded “Well, I do know a really cool artist… what about Declan Shalvey…?”

“I love that guy!” says I. Well, not really but I realised what was going on, Darren was seeing if Id be open to drawing it too [by appealing to my ego obviously, which was smart]. I wasn’t sure if I could take it on… I mean of course I wanted to write and draw an X-Men book, but I was looking to get back to drawing OLD DOG after ALIEN. Could this project be worth pushing it back a bit…? I was already planing the OPERATIONS anthology so realised I had a bit more of a window to keep OLD DOG readers going, so maybe.

Of the potential X-projects offered to me, one was MYSTIQUE. With that title, I saw the potential to put my own stamp on a classic character [Like MOON KNIGHT, once upon a time] and I saw the opportunity of doing a book in the same wheelhouse of OLD DOG that if it did well, might help me bring new readers to the book. A very possible added benefit to again, write and draw my own X-book!

Will that work? I dunno! But with the OLD DOG trade currently on shelves and the anthology coming out a month beforehand, there’s an opportunity to help my creator owned book while also having a dream gig with an iconic character. It really is a win/win.

OLD DOG

As I said above, I’m glad I announced the OLD DOG OPERATIONS anthology when I did as it was officially announced later that day, soon to be followed by the PROJECT TATTOO and MYSTIQUE reveals that soon followed. I’ve been very encouraged by the reaction to the anthology. Most of the stories are done and lettered now, so it’s shaping up nicely. Mine is now pencilled, I have to get it inked alongside working on MYSTIQUE over the next month and before SDCC, so I have a rough July ahead of me…

I’m going to be putting out some promo over the next weeks to give the anthology a push [because I have lots of free time], I worry it’ll be easy for this to slip off the radar otherwise, so please do share if ye see this stuff in yere feeds online.

I’ll be sharing pages over on my website, but will give ye a first look as always. On that note, here’s a page from the story “Poodle & Pug” written by SPAWN /TIME BEFORE TIME’s Rory McConville, with art [and colours] by ANALOG/ PALADIN OF AXES’ David O’Sullivan. It was really cool to pair up two good and talented pals together.

More to show in the coming weeks.

PROJECT TATTOO PHASES OF THE MOON KNIGHT

Another reveal! Yes, PROJECT TATTOO was revealed in Marvel’s September solicitations as a story for PHASES OF THE MOON KNIGHT #2. I’ve written a story for the issue with art by Eder Messias. Below are the [stunning] covers for the issue along with the solicits.

JED MACKAY & DECLAN SHALVEY (W) • Jorge Fornés & Eder Messias (A)

Cover by Mateus Manhanini •

DESIGN VARIANT COVER BY Declan Shalvey

MARVEL STUDIOS VARIANT COVER BY RYAN MEINERDING

LUNA VARIANT COVER BY WOO-CHUL LEE • LUNA VIRGIN VARIANT COVER BY WOO-CHUL LEE

The saga of the MOON KNIGHT spins on, as JED MACKAY, writer of the smash-hit MOON KNIGHT and VENGEANCE OF THE MOON KNIGHT series revisits vintage Marc Spector, with a period piece about peril and punching! THEN: DECLAN SHALVEY returns to the pages of MOON KNIGHT, only this time he’s sets his sights on the future! Introducing an ALL-NEW Fist of Khonshu and a crime-ridden vision of a Marvel Universe, both older, grittier and worse for wear than any you’ve seen before!

40 PGS./Rated T+ …$4.99

One of the reasons I took this [on on top of my already packed schedule] was an opportunity to create/design a new MOON KNIGHT. Obviously, I have *some* connection to the character, but this isn’t just retreading old ground. This story is set in a distant future so it’s not Marc Spector, etc. This is someone different. Getting to build [and design] a new Marvel character like this is a unique opportunity and with 15 pages, I get to do something meatier then a regular short story.

The video meeting I hinted at above was with editors Devin Lewis and Lauren Amaro who are working on the title. They had some notes on my script that I’ve since applied into a second draft and is now with artist Eder Messias.

This is just a one off story but there’s perhaps potential for this to spin off into something else…? Depends on how the book does I guess.

Here’s my design sheet for the new MOON KNIGHT. Marvel will be using this for a ‘Design Variant.’ These designs aren’t public, so keep them under your hat.

Also, once I saw Eder’s work I was immediately impressed and was instantly excited to work wit him. Marvel soon sent me this warm up model sheet he did, I knew straight away he would nail this. Can’t wait to see the first pages.

Oh, and as to why I gave this the codename ‘PROJECT TATTOO’? Well…

THUNDERCATS

Had a call with Nate Cosby about what’s coming next for the book in Arc Three and going forward along with other possible books following CHEETARA. Some cool stuff in the works.

Did my lettering notes on THUNDERCATS Issue Six, that’s away to the printer. Great to get back in the saddle with Drew Moss again with all the momentum we had built with Arc One. Loved embracing the Mad Max of it all in this issue.

Speaking of Issue Six…

I am releasing my very own exclusive THUNDERCATS cover for SDCC! The availability for this cover is extremely limited, as is a virgin variant that I will also have at the show. IF there are any copies left I’ll make them available afterwards via the ART DECO store. Never done anything like this before, so very curious to see how it goes.

Drew is working hard on Issue Seven as I concentrate on Issue Eight and after the meeting with Nate, considering some changes with my initial plans for Vol Three. I wish I was more ahead on the scripts as Drew is such a prolific animal but I’m doing my best to stay ahead of all the artists I’m working with at the moment [including myself!]

TAPE DEC

Latest TAPE DEC with Stephen Mooney is up and it was a fun one.

Video editor extraordinaire Jamie Wood who edits the show and puts together the clips for teach week. Last week he sent me a clip but I thought it was a bit too risque for general promotion [contrary to popular belief, I don’t actually want Mooney to get fired] but funny is funny so I’ll leave it here, exclusively for you Decolytes.

Say nothing.

PS Mooney’s THE FREE AGENTS is out this week! Make sure ye pick up up, it’s an epic 40pg first issue.

STAR TREK

You all may or may not be aware *cough* that I’m a huge STAR TREK nut. Trek editor [and editor of all my creator owned books] Heather Antos knows, so had a very easy time roping me in to doing a series of covers for the next storyline of the Chris Cantwell and Angel Unzueta DEFIANT series.

I only recently saw these online, didn’t know they were in the wild but here’s the first three [of five]. It’s safe to say I loved working on these. I naturally played DS9 and the TNG Unification 2-parter while colouring these. I can’t believe I got to do an O’Brien cover, and a Spock one to boot!

STAR TREK: DEFIANT #17-19 retailer incentive covers

These are incentive covers so may be harder to get but hey; I’m giving ye a heads up. Reach out to your retailers and see if you can nab them.

DEC RECS

The excellent Michael Walsh has a new book out soon…

FRANKENSTEIN #1 is out in August from Skybound. Michael was kind enough to send me the first issue and I have to say, it’s absolutely stunning. Seeing a writer/artist take on a classic character like this is a unique treat and Michael truly excels at it. Lovingly drawn, perfectly paced, it somehow manages to be horrific while at the same time hauntingly beautiful. Be sure to order it from your local retailer.

Leave a comment

OUT SOON

July 3rd

BLOOD HUNTERS #3 [VC]

WOLVERINE: DEEP CUT #1 [VC]

July 17th

THUNDERCATS #6 CVR [VC]

THUNDERCATS TP VOL 01 OMENS DM EXC [W]

INCREDIBLE HULK #14 [VC]

July 31st

MIDNIGHT SONS BLOOD HUNT #3 [VC]

August 07th

FREE AGENTS #2 [VC]

SPECTACULAR SPIDER-MEN #6 WEAPON X-TRACTION VAR [VC]

August 21st

THUNDERCATS #7 [W,VC]

Thanks for reading. See you in two weeks.

Dec.

Like
Comment
Restack

© 2024 Declan Shalvey
548 Market Street PMB 72296, San Francisco, CA 94104

Get the appStart writing

--
Studio NI: Promoting Arts and Culture in the North of Ireland since 2004. NIC101100