Check out this week's media equity highlights!

Geena Davis Institute on Gender in Media

Jun 13, 2022, 11:16:55 PMJun 13
to StudioNort...@gmail.com

June 9, 2022

Americans watch a lot of television. Their households consume an average of two to eight hours a day, depending on how it’s measured. It makes sense, then, that television is an important force for how we understand and treat ourselves and others. That includes how we come to understand parenting and caregiving, including caring for children, aging parents, people with disabilities, and more. In recent decades, we’ve seen fathers like Homer Simpson (The Simpsons, Fox) and Phil Dunphy (Modern Family, ABC) delightfully stumble and surprisingly shine in their caregiving roles, and we’ve watched Uncle Phil (Fresh Prince, NBC) step up to care for his nephew, and Danny Tanner (Full House, ABC) fill his role as a single dad. And for many, Mister Rogers (Mister Rogers’ Neighborhood, PBS) cared for viewers directly, addressing them in their living rooms as they watched.

But what is the current state of caregiving on television? In particular, how are men being shown as caregivers? How much do current shows validate and reinforce rigid models of male caregiving linked to unhealthy masculinity, or how do shows take the opposite tack and afford real-world men a roadmap toward “new fatherhood,” more balanced relationships with their partners, and positive relationships with their dependents? These portrayals are important for understanding men’s actual caregiving. They likely also shape debates around public policies that affect those who are in care of others.

To answer these questions, we analyzed 225 popular scripted broadcast and streaming television shows from 2013 to 2020. From the nearly one thousand characters we identified as caregivers, one overall finding stuck out: While men are depicted doing hands-on caregiving at higher rates than in the past, they are too often shown as abusive, incompetent, and/or emotionally distant. These persistent tropes point to the need for more stories that show men as imperfect but connected, emotionally responsive, invested, and equitable caregivers. Given that television has the power to shape our culture, we hope that this report will inspire new and reimagined stories about what caregiving can look like for the next generation.
Download the Report

COLLIDER

Geena Davis and Adam Lambert Join Andrew Durham’s ‘Fairyland’ Adaptation

Fairyland is based on the memoir Fairyland: A Memoir of My Father by Alysia Abbott, the daughter of bisexual writer and activist Steve Abbott, who moves himself and his daughter to San Francisco in the 70s after his wife tragically dies in a car crash.

THEM

15 Essential Plays, Books, and Movies for Understanding the History of Queer Liberation

Revisiting these rich and inspiring stories can underscore our resolve to move forward as we refuse to let the clock get turned back.

BLOOMBERG

90% of Women in India Are Shut Out of the Workforce

A small fraction of women in India had formal employment before the pandemic. Covid made it so much worse.

KIDSCREEN

What Kids Actually Think About The Metaverse

KidsKnowBest surveys kids on what they know about the metaverse...and discovers it’s all about the shoes.

THE HOLLYWOOD REPORTER

“This Is Why Women Are So Dope”: Robin Thede, Natasha Lyonne and THR’s Comedy Showrunner Roundtable

Six TV bosses — including Jessi Klein, Amanda Peet, Stefani Robinson and Jen Statsky — let loose on actor notes, audience appetite for senior sex scenes and the “bullsh**” they hear from too many peers: “There is a myth, a rumor going around Hollywood that white men are no longer employable.”

BLOOMBERG

Japan Set to Make Companies Disclose Gender Pay Gap This Year

Japan will likely require companies to disclose the wage gap between male and female workers from this summer as part of Prime Minister Fumio Kishida’s New Capitalism plans.

Download & Share Our New Report, "This is Us? How TV Does and Doesn't Get Men's Caregiving"
Given that television has the power to shape our culture, we hope that this report will inspire new and reimagined stories about what caregiving can look like for the next generation. Download the report and share with your network to help break down negative stereotypes of male caregivers in media.

Are you a writer, director, producer, or content creator? Contact us about presenting this research to your team by emailing Jennifer Suh.
Download the Full Report

Come visit us at:

Twitter
Instagram
Facebook
LinkedIn

Interested in working with us as a
strategic partner or corporate sponsor?

Please email Elizabeth at eliz...@seejane.org directly with any inquiries.
Copyright © 2022 Geena Davis Institute on Gender in Media, All rights reserved.

Geena Davis Institute on Gender in Media
PO Box 9615
Rancho Cucamonga, CA 91701

Add us to your address book

Geena Davis Institute on Gender in Media

Jun 16, 2022, 2:01:21 PMJun 16
to StudioNort...@gmail.com

June 16, 2022

WEEKLY ROUNDUP - header text image
A father reads a picture book aloud as his daughter sits on his lap and looks at the picture; Father and daughter are both Black.

“I’d like to see us disrupt the male breadwinner model where the man is making all the money. Most families now are dual income and we should reflect that in what we’re showing on screen.”

Geena Davis sits down with Spectrum News’ “Inside the Issues” host Alex Cohen to discuss the findings of the Institute’s latest report.

Watch Here
Geena Davis makes opening remarks at the 2021 7th annual Bentonville Film Festival
The 8th annual Bentonville Film Festival kicks off next week, showcasing a diverse range of voices

“We are proud to be back for the 8th year to bring audiences, both in-person and virtually, an inspiring selection of films celebrating diversity and inclusion on screen and behind the camera,” said Geena Davis, Bentonville Film Festival Chair. “We’re thrilled to spotlight storytelling that is transformative, which demonstrates the power of intersectional equity in entertainment media.”

This year’s programming illuminates a wide array of storytelling that showcases talent and filmmakers alike:

  • 82% who identify as female or gender non-confirming

  • 65% who identify as BIPOC, Asian, or Pacific Islander

  • 62% who identify as LGBTQIA+

  • 42% who are over 50

  • 20% who identify as a person with a disability

The 8th annual festival will take place with virtual events from June 22 – July 3, 2022 and in-person events in the festival’s host state of Arkansas from June 22 – June 26, 2022.

Learn More Here
RESEARCH, INSIGHTS & TRENDS - header text image
Tribeca Film Festival logo in white lettering; LGBTQ in pink lettering; blue background

AUTOSTRADDLE

Tribeca Film Festival 2022 May Be It’s Queerest Season Yet

“Tribeca has a host of queer programming coming to the stage this season that the audiences can enjoy. From movies about polyamory to stories about drag queens, there are so many films and documentaries to choose from.”

Child holds an iPhone to watch a YouTube video; Year, Study Title, Study Subtitle

COMMON SENSE MEDIA

Who Is the "You" in YouTube?: Missed Opportunities in Race and Representation in Children's YouTube Videos

“The analysis reveals that kids are watching content that doesn't reflect the diversity of the United States, as well as content that presents biased and stereotypical representations of race and ethnicity.”

Nina Davuluri gives a "TED Talk" presentation on the TEDxBerkeley stage

TEDxBERKELEY

"The Cost of Beauty from a Miss America"

“Nina Davuluri shares her life story as a beauty queen and reminds us that there is more beneath the surface. [She] is an acclaimed filmmaker, activist, actor, entrepreneur, and the first South Asian to win Miss America.”

IDEAS IN ACTION - header text image
Iman Vellani stars as Kamala Khan in "Ms. Marvel" on Disney+

VOGUE

Meet Iman Vellani, the Young Marvel Star Making History

“Integral to [Ms. Marvel’s] success is Iman Vellani, the 19-year-old Karachi-born, Ontario-raised Marvel super-fan who makes a barnstorming screen debut as Kamala, imbuing the wide-eyed teenager with warmth, goofiness, and vulnerability.”

The cast and crew of "A Strange Loop" on Broadway take the stage at the 75th annual Tony Awards to accept the award for "Best Musical"

THEM

Black Queer Broadway Excellence: A Strange Loop Wins Tony for Best Musical

“The show’s creator, Michael R Jackson, also took home the Tony for Best Book of a Musical.”

The "Produced By" Conference took place on June 11-12 on the FOX Studio Lot.

DEADLINE

Eva Longoria, Charles D. King Creating Diverse Crew Members Database For Studios – Produced By

"‘I’m me,’ Longoria said. ‘You would think I could get in the door. It still took an advocate for me to get in the door. These things help. You have to use this opportunity, meet people, nurture those relationships in this industry.’”

Ego Nwodim and Dionne Warwick performing a comedy sketch together on "Saturday Night Live"

OPRAH

Ego Nwodim’s Authenticity Is Comedy Gold

“The ‘Saturday Night Live’ star is breaking down stereotypes of Black women comedians and forging a path in the industry for diverse voices.”

TAKE ACTION - pointer finger tapping a dot - header text image
Watch & Share Nina Davuluri's TED Talk:
"The Cost of Beauty from a Miss America"

Join Nina Dalvuri, the first contestant of Indian descent to be crowned Miss America in 2014, as she details her journey discovering hard truths to answer the questions:
  • Why do beauty standards exist?
  • How are they internalized within each generation?
  • Where do we even begin to dismantle them?
Watch Here

Come visit us at:

Twitter
Instagram
Facebook
LinkedIn

Interested in working with us as a
strategic partner or corporate sponsor?

Please email Elizabeth at eliz...@seejane.org directly with any inquiries.
Copyright © 2022 Geena Davis Institute on Gender in Media, All rights reserved.

Geena Davis Institute on Gender in Media
PO Box 9615
Rancho Cucamonga, CA 91701

Add us to your address book

Geena Davis Institute on Gender in Media

Jun 23, 2022, 2:00:58 PMJun 23
to StudioNort...@gmail.com

June 23, 2022

New Cannes Lions Study Shows Significant Progress for Gender and People of Color

We are so proud to have partnered with Cannes Lions over the last five years to address bias, inclusion and representations in creative work.

From 2006 to 2021, representations of women and people of color in Cannes Lions creative work across the "Film Lions" and "Film Craft Lions" has significantly increased, nearly reaching parity with a 13.7 % increase to 47.6%.

Additionally, characters of color have reached a historic rise to 54.6% of screen time for the first time.

By measuring and analyzing performance, we have seen what progress has been made—and how far we still have to go.

You can read the full report here:

LEARN MORE

FORBES

Geena Davis On Her Gender Equality Efforts In Hollywood, Reflects On A League Of Their Own 30th Anniversary

In 2022, Davis definitely has a lot to celebrate, including the 30th Anniversary of her 1992 film “A League of Their Own”, the beloved fictionalized tale surrounding the very real group of hardworking female baseball players who stepped up to the plate and defied gender stereotypes during World War II.

COLLIDER

Geena Davis Institute on Gender In Media board member Alysia Reiner stars in Ms. Marvel on Disney+

Reiner has a recurring role on Marvel Studios' Disney+ series as Agent Deever of the U.S. Department of Damage Control.

THE GUARDIAN

"Advancing equity": Billie Jean King marks 50th anniversary of Title IX – Video

The former tennis champion Billie Jean King joined the First Lady, Jill Biden, to celebrate the 50th anniversary of Title IX. The legislation was enacted in 1972 and prohibited discrimination on the basis of sex in federally funded education programs.

SHEKNOWS

37 Kid-Friendly Movies & TV Shows That Educate About Diversity & Race

As parents, we’re called to make sure we’re actively sharing stories with our children that celebrate people from all walks of life. We have to prioritize lessons about equality and the beauty of our differences.

INSIDER

Being on the red carpet as a wheelchair user was a nightmare. It won't change until Hollywood hires more people with disabilities.

The red carpet is a handy metaphor for the industry at large. Sometimes, disabled people are allowed at the edges, but we are not really included — and what's worse, we're asked to be grateful.

ADWEEK

Media Isn’t Dismantling Harmful Gender Stereotypes, says UN Study

A study from UN Women and the Unstereotype Alliance—the industry-led coalition designed to banish harmful stereotypes in advertising—has illuminated a regression in societal attitudes towards gender roles, as well as the disproportionate impact Covid-19 had on women and girls.

NPR

The U.S. Capitol has named two rooms after female senators for the first time ever

On June 8, a bipartisan group of senators held a ceremony dedicating two of the Capitol's rooms to trailblazing former Sens. Barbara Mikulski, D-Md., and Margaret Chase Smith, R-Maine.

INTERESTING ENGINEERING

Joan Marie: NASA engineer on shattering stereotypes and closing the STEM gap

I grew up with media and I had watched the launch of Apollo 13. But I saw only men in these roles, and then whenever I would tour these facilities, it was more men. I thought that this wasn't a role for women.

NPR

Allyson Felix launches a child care initiative for athlete moms

This week, she's kicking off an initiative with her sponsor Athleta and the nonprofit group &Mother to provide free child care to athletes, coaches and staff at the U.S. Track and Field championships. Felix's Team USA teammate and two-time world champion, Alysia Montaño, co-founded &Mother.

New Coalition Unites to Create #GirlsLeadSTEM and Declares October as #GirlsLeadSTEM Month

Today, on International Women in Engineering Day, a new, multi-sector coalition composed of leading organizations dedicated to creating opportunities for young girls in science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) has founded #GirlsLeadSTEM and declared October 2022 as the inaugural #GirlsLeadSTEM month.

The founding coalition is composed of the Geena Davis Institute on Gender in Media, Intel Corporation, Lyda Hill Philanthropies, National Girls Collaborative Project, STEM Next Opportunity Fund and Techbridge Girls.

You can read more about the launch of this coalition here:
LEARN MORE
Institute President and CEO, Madeline Di Nonno got a chance to chat with the creative team as well as Eureka herself, Ruth Righi about Disney Junior's newest animated series Eureka!

Eureka! is an animated music-filled series geared towards preschoolers and their families about a talented young inventor living in the fantastical prehistoric world of Rocky Falls where humans and dinosaurs co-exist. Eureka, voiced by Ruth Righi (Disney Channel's Sydney to the Max), has a big imagination and even bigger heart and is way ahead of her time. Utilizing creative out-of-the-box thinking and tinkering (or "thinkering," as she calls it), she designs inventions and contraptions in the hopes of making the world a better place and moving her prehistoric community into a more modern era.

Featuring a vibrant, inclusive environment and rich, diverse cast of characters, the series is designed to foster creativity, innovation, curiosity, and acceptance among young audiences.

Eureka! is produced by Academy Award®-nominated animation studio Brown Bag Films (Doc McStuffins) in association with Disney Junior.

Tune In: Eureka! made its premiere on Wednesday, June 22 on Disney Junior; an initial batch of episodes also made same-day premieres on Disney+ and video on-demand platforms.

You can watch the Q&A here:
LEARN MORE

Speaking on the report Michele Oliver, Mars' Global Vice President, Brand & Purpose, said: “Adverts must speak to, and celebrate, the diversity of the audiences who enjoy them. We are pleased with the progress that has come from rigorously ensuring we have diversity not just in front of the camera but behind the camera, in the agencies and in our own teams. However, we will not rest until we are representing the true diversity of the people who enjoy our services and products around the world.”

The research audit found that the business has made positive progress to increase representation and more specifically, female characters in its advertising, who made up 45% of characters last year. This is an 11% increase since Mars first started auditing gender representation in 2018.

You can read the findings of the research audit here:
LEARN MORE
Watch our panel discussion to hear what went into creating
Disney Junior's newest animated series Eureka!

Moderated by our CEO Madeline DiNonno, the panel discussion featured insights from:
  • Ruth Righi, voice of Eureka
  • Niamh Sharkey, Creator and Executive Producer
  • Norton Virgien, Executive Producer
  • Erica Rothschild, Writer
  • Rusty Cundieff, Consulting Producer
  • Donna Brown Guillaume, Consulting Producer
  • Christiana “Chee” McGuigan, Science Education Consultant

Listen to what they had to share about the new series here:
WATCH HERE

Come visit us at:

Twitter
Instagram
Facebook
LinkedIn

Interested in working with us as a
strategic partner or corporate sponsor?

Please email Elizabeth at eliz...@seejane.org directly with any inquiries.
Copyright © 2022 Geena Davis Institute on Gender in Media, All rights reserved.

Geena Davis Institute on Gender in Media
PO Box 9615
Rancho Cucamonga, CA 91701

Add us to your address book

Geena Davis Institute on Gender in Media

Jun 30, 2022, 2:45:54 PMJun 30
to StudioNort...@gmail.com

June 30, 2022

THE HOLLYWOOD REPORTER

Bentonville’s Geena Davis and Wendy Guerrero on How to Program a Truly Diverse Film Festival

Festival founder and chair Geena Davis and festival and BFFoundation president Wendy Guerrero spoke with The Hollywood Reporter about how it achieves such programming diversity on a consistent basis, how the festival has impacted its filmmakers’ careers, and how the filmmakers in turn effect change in the wider culture.

CNN

No, Geena Davis still won’t tell you if Dottie meant to drop the ball. But she’s loving life’s curveballs

“A League of Their Own” is a film that can be enjoyed by anyone, but it’s also a movie proudly claimed by women, who in it found a rare chance to see themselves in a sports film and not playing the supportive spouse to an athletic male character with a fully realized existence.

DEADLINE

Narrative Feature ‘Every Day In Kaimuki’ Takes Home Top Honors At 2022 Bentonville Film Festival With Jury Awards

The week-long Festival, led by Academy Award-winning actor and Festival Chair Geena Davis, is known for its dedication to championing female, non-binary, LGBTQIA+, BIPOC, and people with disabilities’ voices in entertainment. ‘Every Day in Kaimuki’ was awarded Best Narrative Feature with director Alika Tengan and cast in attendance.

OPRAH DAILY

Beaming With Pride: How TV Became the Unsung Hero For LGBTQ+ Representation

At their best, television shows aren't just chronicles of the culture—they're catalysts that unite, validate, and inform while, yes, also being hella entertaining.

A MIGHTY GIRL

Dissent Is Patriotic; 50 Books About Girls & Women Who Fought for Change

We've showcased our favorite books about girls and women who resisted—who dared to stand up against the laws and social norms of their day to fight for societies that were more just, tolerant, and equal. These people, from all walks of life, fought hard for causes they believed in, including women's suffrage, labor rights, civil rights, environmental protection, and more.

THE WASHINGTON POST

Women Are Still Underrepresented in Clinical Trials

For decades, researchers have tried to enroll more women in clinical trials so research into drugs and medical treatments reflects sex differences and detects possible risks of newly developed cures. But despite gains—and legal requirements—progress has stalled.

ADWEEK

'Activism On and Off the Field': Art Exhibit Commemorates 50 Years of Title IX, Prohibiting Sex Discrimination

Now on the 50th year anniversary of its historical passage, the “Title IX: Activism On and Off the Field” exhibit at The Center for Women’s History at The New-York Historical Society, celebrates the addition to the Education Amendments Act of 1972 that fundamentally reshaped American society by prohibiting discrimination based on sex in education programs or activities that receive federal assistance.

VANITY FAIR

In a Perilous Moment, Hollywood’s Power Players Gather to Call for Action

Late last week celeb heavyweights met at CAA Amplify for a frank assessment of business and culture. Inside the Hollywood conference that wants to change everything.

PR NEWSWIRE

AnitaB.org to Present Grace Hopper Celebration 2022, the World's Largest Conference for Women and Non-Binary Technologists, In Person for the First Time in Three Years

Now, more than ever, we are committed to creating a safe space where all are welcomed, and we are collaborating with leaders on the ground in Florida who stand for equality, equity, and justice – values that are inherently aligned with the mission and drive of AnitaB.org.

See Jane Spotlight: How Media Can Influence Cybersafety and Open Careers for Women and Girls

In April, Craig Newmark Philanthropies (CNP) committed more than $50 million to support a broad coalition of organizations dedicated to educating and protecting everyday Americans amid new and escalating cybersecurity threats. Craig has been a longtime partner and supporter of the Institute, and when we heard about this initiative, we became interested in how this investment would make the world a better and safer place for women and girls each and every day. Content creators and the media community have a vital role to play in amplifying messages, busting tropes and stereotypes that persist onscreen, expanding career opportunities, and significantly shifting the narrative on how the public views cybersecurity.

We recently spoke with a few of CNP’s partners to gain their perspective on STEM and cybersecurity as it relates to intersectional women and girls and how entertainment media can amplify their work. These changemakers include: Tarika Barrett (CEO, Girls Who Code), Marta Tellado (president and CEO, Consumer Reports), Katie Brooks (Director, Cyber Partnerships, Aspen Digital), and Rachael Cornejo (Alumna, Citizen Clinic, UC Berkeley.)

You can read their insights on this issue and learn how to best protect our society, yourselves, and your loved ones here:

LEARN MORE
Virtual passes for the Bentonville Festival Film Festival are now available through July 3rd!

Check out one of the festival’s films, shorts, and festival Q&A’s and panels—including the Best Narrative Feature award winner Every Day in Kaimukī.

You can find more information on virtual passes here:
LEARN MORE

Come visit us at:

Twitter
Instagram
Facebook
LinkedIn

Interested in working with us as a
strategic partner or corporate sponsor?

Please email Elizabeth at eliz...@seejane.org directly with any inquiries.
Copyright © 2022 Geena Davis Institute on Gender in Media, All rights reserved.

Geena Davis Institute on Gender in Media
PO Box 9615
Rancho Cucamonga, CA 91701

Add us to your address book

Geena Davis Institute on Gender in Media

Jul 7, 2022, 2:15:17 PMJul 7
to StudioNort...@gmail.com

July 7, 2022

COLLIDER

Geena Davis Explains How 'Thelma & Louise' Changed Her Life, Paving the Way to the Bentonville Film Festival

Geena Davis is a force in this industry. Not only is she a hugely talented Academy Award-winner with a slew of iconic titles on her filmography like Thelma & Louise, A League of Their Own, Beetlejuice, and more, but she’s also actively working to change this industry for the better via the Geena Davis Institute on Gender in Media and also through the Bentonville Film Festival.

FORTUNE

If women don’t reach the C-suite a decade into their career, odds are they never will

Women may have more power now than ever before, but the picture looks more grim as they advance in their careers. Recent research from LinkedIn finds that after the first 10 years of their career, their odds of ascending to board or executive level positions drop off precipitously.

VARIETY

How Kacey Musgraves, Mickey Guyton and Maren Morris Beat a Sexist Country Music System

Music journalist Marissa R. Moss talks about capturing the victories and challenges of female artists with the odds stacked against them in her important new book, "Her Country: How the Women of Country Music Became the Success They Were Never Supposed to Be."

SALON

Let's all stop ignoring The Fandom Menace. It's real, and it's winning

All of this begs for [media] corporations to use their power to take concrete steps to protect the Black, brown, Asian, Indigenous and non-white actors it continues to hire in these roles. Public statements are one step, but they can also be coupled with preemptive protections they could enact on their talent's social media accounts.

USA TODAY

Judge Ketanji Brown Jackson Makes History As Supreme Court's First Black Woman Justice

Jackson, 51, a Miami native and Harvard-trained lawyer who was confirmed by the Senate nearly three months ago, took the seat occupied by Associate Justice Stephen Breyer for 28 years. Breyer announced his retirement in January, clearing the way for President Joe Biden to name Jackson as his first pick for the nation's highest court.

DEADLINE

Walt Disney Co. Creates ‘Disney Storytellers Fund’ At Howard University To Spark Opportunities

"Across Disney’s brands, we are working to amplify underrepresented voices and untold stories,” said Jennifer Cohen, EVP Corporate Social Responsibility, The Walt Disney Company.. “The Disney Storytellers Fund at Howard will help us support students and the innovation and creativity that the university has cultivated for more than 150 years. We are excited to help the next generation of Black storytellers bring their ideas to life."

NBC SPORTS

Women’s basketball podcast ‘Hardwood HERstory’ aims to inspire and educate

The purpose of the pod is to tell the stories of athletes who changed women’s basketball. And despite the fact that they all had a non-negotiable impact on the game, you probably haven’t heard of some of them.

MLB

Rockford Celebrates 30 Years of "A League of Their Own"

"A League of Their Own" recently celebrated 30 years since it premiered in theaters on July 1, 1992. And to recognize baseball’s highest-grossing movie, the city of Rockford hosted a two-day festivity to commemorate the milestone in honor of the Rockford Peaches.

Please join our founder, Geena Davis, in celebrating the 30th anniversary of A League of Their Own with a $30 donation to the Geena Davis Institute.

Beloved by women and girls for decades, the film represents what the Geena Davis Institute is all about: inspiring girls and women to defy stereotypes in every walk of life.
DONATE HERE

Come visit us at:

Twitter
Instagram
Facebook
LinkedIn

Interested in working with us as a
strategic partner or corporate sponsor?

Please email Elizabeth at eliz...@seejane.org directly with any inquiries.
Copyright © 2022 Geena Davis Institute on Gender in Media, All rights reserved.

Geena Davis Institute on Gender in Media
PO Box 9615
Rancho Cucamonga, CA 91701

Add us to your address book

Geena Davis Institute on Gender in Media

Jul 14, 2022, 2:00:21 PMJul 14
to StudioNort...@gmail.com

July 14, 2022

DEADLINE

Geena Davis Has Joined the Cast Of Zoë Kravitz's Directorial Debut, "Pussy Island" Alongside Christian Slater, Alia Shawkat, Kyle Maclachlan, and Haley Joel Osment.

The actors join an ensemble that also includes Naomi Ackie, Channing Tatum and Simon Rex, as previously announced.

30th Anniversary Screening with Geena Davis and the stars of the new Prime Video Series A League of Their Own in person at the Hollywood Forever Cemetery

Take your friends and family out to the ball game for laughs and nostalgia, just remember: there’s no crying in baseball. Tickets for the event are on sale now!

LEARN MORE

FORBES

Creating An Inclusive Workplace: How Employers Can Support Transgender Employees

Sexual-orientation diversity has become a focus of many organizations in recent years, which is a welcome development, and which has led to a huge shift in the comfort of LGB individuals at work. However, the transgender experience is often overlooked when employers consider diversity, equity and inclusion policies. Real progress cannot be made unless workplaces embrace and adapt to all employees.

REFINERY29

Why Do So Many Plus-Size Fashion Launches Fall Short?

Much like the plus-size fashion movement itself, brands and businesses must take time to become truly inclusive. The rationale that small steps forward are “not enough” — while fair given the fashion’s industry’s slow embrace of size inclusivity — is limiting and damaging as it often prohibits brands from diving into the plus category out of fear of consumer backlash.

AUTOSTRADDLE

49 Queer and Feminist Books Coming Out Summer 2022

Stay cool this summer with these awesome queer and feminist books!

VARIETY

Zendaya Breaks Emmy Record as the Youngest Producing Nominee

For her role as Rue in HBO’s “Euphoria,” she already made history in 2020 by becoming the youngest lead actress drama winner (24 at the time), and only the second-ever Black woman to win the category, following Viola Davis for “How to Get Away With Murder.”

DIGITAL SPY

Dwayne Johnson's Daughter Simone Makes WWE Live Debut

Her signing with WWE made Simone the company's first fourth-generation Superstar, with her father (The Rock), grandfather (Rocky Johnson) and great-grandfather (High Chief Peter Maivia) all having been wrestlers.

ABC NEWS

“Rollettes” Founder Empowers Disabled Women And Girls Through Dance (VIDEO)

Chelsie Hill, an advocate for people with disabilities, and founder of wheelchair dance team the “Rollettes,” is empowering women through a shared love for dance and community.

See Jane Salon – How Media Can Influence Cybersafety and Open Careers for Women and Girls

Join Geena Davis, Craig Newmark, and a panel of experts on Monday, July 25th for a special Virtual See Jane Salon: How Media Can Influence Cybersafety and Open Careers for Women and Girls.

Learn how media has a vital role to play in amplifying messages, busting tropes and stereotypes that persist onscreen, and significantly shifting the narrative on how the public views cybersecurity.

You can reserve your spot online here:
RSVP HERE
How much do you know about preventing workplace discrimination against LGBTQ+ employees?

Two years after the landmark U.S. Supreme Court civil rights case Bostock v. Clayton County protecting LGBTQ+ employees against discrimination, employers still have much to learn about creating and maintaining safe workplaces.

The U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission created a helpful guide, which you can read and utilize here:
LEARN MORE

Come visit us at:

Twitter
Instagram
Facebook
LinkedIn

Interested in working with us as a
strategic partner or corporate sponsor?

Please email Elizabeth at eliz...@seejane.org directly with any inquiries.
Copyright © 2022 Geena Davis Institute on Gender in Media, All rights reserved.

Geena Davis Institute on Gender in Media
PO Box 9615
Rancho Cucamonga, CA 91701

Add us to your address book

Geena Davis Institute on Gender in Media

Jul 21, 2022, 2:00:46 PMJul 21
to StudioNort...@gmail.com

July 21, 2022

SPORTS ILLUSTRATED

“A League of Their Own” Endures Because It’s Personal

Its narrative and characters are fictional. But it’s a window to real stories and real women—and it’s this connection that means so much to the women of Rockford, stretching across generations and backgrounds and experiences, a historic tie that has not loosened.

LOS ANGELES TIMES

Lesley Manville is On a Mission to Prove Women’s Lives, and Sexuality, Aren’t Over After 60

“The situation is changing for actresses and the climate is changing for women of my age, but it still needs to get better,” Manville says. “And it really is getting better. Finally, film seems to be catering for women who want to go and see their lives represented a bit more.”

VARIETY

Selma Blair: It’s Time We Shift the Story About How Disabled People Are Represented

In an op-ed, actor Selma Blair writes, ‘If I had seen and heard from people who were like me, maybe I wouldn’t have felt so alone. Perhaps if I’d had more diverse representation to look up to, I would have learned about my own diagnosis earlier on.’

HUFFPOST

How 'Bend It Like Beckham' Was A Watershed Moment For South Asians

The film, made by a British Punjabi woman about a family like her own, holds up several mirrors for viewers.

AXIOS

Ada Limón Has Big Plans As New U.S. Poet Laureate

The U.S.'s new national poet laureate hopes to use poetry to help heal the trauma so many Americans experience.

THE HOLLYWOOD REPORTER

Billy Porter Spotlights Trans Coming-of-Age Story in Directorial Debut “Anything’s Possible”

Billy Porter says his goal in making his new film "Anything’s Possible"—which marks his directorial debut—was to present a Gen Z coming-of-age story centered on a trans girl that hadn’t existed before, a romantic comedy for today’s generation that’s made in the spirit of a John Hughes film like "Pretty in Pink" or "Sixteen Candles."

ENTREPRENEUR

13-Year-Old Makes History as Youngest Black Person to Get Accepted Into Medical School

"I really want to leave my mark on the world. And lead a group of girls that know what they can do," Alena said.

CINEMABLEND

After Disney Channel's First Trans Character Appeared In “Raven's Home” Ep, the Actress and Writer Shared How Important the Breakthrough Is To Them

Last week, trans actress Juliana Joel made Disney Channel history on “Raven's Home” by debuting her character Nikki, who is the network’s first trans character ever.

CNN

Blue Angels Select First Female Fighter Jet Demonstration Pilot

While Lee is set to be the first woman to serve in this role on the team, “For over 55 years, hundreds of women have served with the Blue Angels representing the very best of the Navy and Marine Corps,” the release states.

[...]

Jul 28, 2022, 1:02:10 PMJul 28
to StudioNort...@gmail.com

July 28, 2022

We're so excited to share the cover of Geena's new memoir, Dying of Politeness, which will be published by HarperOne on October 11.

How did Geena Davis grow from a timid child into the badass she is today? (The road to becoming a badass is bumpier than you might think!) Learn all about her journey in her candid and hilarious new memoir, Dying of Politeness.

You can pre-order your copy here:

LEARN MORE

NIELSEN

Closing the Inclusion Gap For People With Disabilities

The need for increased representation in media across identity groups isn’t new, but progress across groups is far from universal. For people with disabilities, representation remains low, and progress over the years might appear slow at best.

ABC NEWS

Keke Palmer Speaks Out After Twitter User Suggests Colorism Impacted Her Career

"A great example of colorism is to believe I can be compared to anyone," Palmer wrote. "I'm the youngest talk show host ever. The first Black woman to star in her own show on Nickelodeon, & the youngest & first Black Cinderella on broadway. I'm an incomparable talent. Baby, THIS, is Keke Palmer."

WIRED

How Electronic Arts Tries to Make Diverse Video Games

“What really matters is that we have a strong character design and a meaningful story to tell to make it authentic, cool, and accepted,” says Tülay McNally, Director of Inclusive Design at Electronic Arts.

THE WRAP

17 Female US Presidents in Movies and TV, From Geena Davis to Gina Rodriguez (Photos)

While Hillary Clinton lost her 2016 bid to become the first woman to lead the U.S., there have been onscreen trailblazers who’ve occupied the Oval Office.

VARIETY

Dan Lin’s Rideback Announces “Rideback Rise” Accelerator Program for BIPOC Creatives

“Rise is dedicated to lifting up those exceptional creative voices that get fewer chances, whether they are Asian, Black, Hispanic and Indigenous, for example, or whether they are Muslim or another underrepresented group,” Lin says, “Our goal is to empower these creators to make popular entertainment that reflects our multicultural society so we can help improve racial equity in America.”