VAI Ebulletin - News, Jobs, Opportunities for 02/01/2023

مرّة مشاهدة واحدة
التخطي إلى أول رسالة غير مقروءة

Visual Artists Ireland

غير مقروءة،
01‏/02‏/2023، 6:03:06 ص1‏/2‏/2023
إلى Stu Dio
Your weekly update on new open calls and opportunities for artists. Including exhibitions, funding, residencies, arts administration jobs and more.
View this email in your browser
1st February 2023

Table of Contents

VAI News

Art News

Job Vacancies

Opportunities Ireland

Opportunities International

Residencies

Funding / Awards

VAI Lifelong Learning & Events

Workshops

Studio Vacancies

For Sale / Wanted / Other

Details

VAI News

We’re Hiring! Visual Artists Ireland: Membership Development and Communications

Full-time Role based in our Dublin office with regular engagements in our Belfast office and locations around the country.

VAI places artists at the centre of all of our actions. Essential to this is the development and support of our services directly aimed at our members and other visual artists. The Membership Development & Communications role:

Membership

  • Manages the framework surrounding membership renewal and retention;
  • Manages the membership joining process and ensures that all members are fully aware of the services available to them;
  • Facilitates membership feedback, in collaboration with all other departments, so that VAI continues to develop and deliver timely and effective services based on artists’ needs;
  • Develops and implements members’ supports, including the Members’ Discount Scheme;
  • Develops plans for membership retention and recruitment;
  • Develops and presents regular reports on membership metrics;
  • Actively engages and develops strong relationships with recognised colleges to encourage students to join and understand the value of VAI’s role in the visual arts;
  • Develops and manages the quality of content in the Members Only section of the VAI websites.

Communications

  • Researches, manages and delivers twice weekly eBulletins ensuring a rich and varied content that conforms to VAI’s policies;
  • Collaborates with all VAI departments to prepare and disseminate regular member news updates;
  • Develops and delivers social media campaigns that promote VAI and its members.

Training and experience:

  • Evidence of working in a structured, controlled and repetitive environment;
  • Demonstrated ability to develop and grow relationships with key stakeholders. (Artists, Artist Groups, Colleges, Students, Regional Groups, Networks and Forums)
  • Ability to prioritise, collaborate and manage multiple tasks simultaneously.
  • Proven ability of delivering results to achieve goals.
  • Strong interpersonal & communication skills, membership engagement skills and the ability to liaise and present at all levels.
  • Must be self-motivated, flexible and proactive.
  • Ability to work flexible hours to facilitate programme initiatives.
  • This role has a national remit where travel to regional areas will be required, the individual will need to have access to their own car and hold a full clean driving licence.
  • Strong working knowledge of CRM, Database Management and MS Office.

Applicants should send:

  • One page cover letter outlining suitability for the role;
  • Maximum 2 page CV clearly showing relevant experience

to: adminis...@visualartists.ie before close of business Friday, 10th February 2023

Salary is set within Salary Band D.

VAI Lifelong Learning | New Event | Climate Action | Thursday 9 February, 3pm

VAI Lifelong Learning - Climate Action

The 2023 VAI Lifelong Learning programme continues into February with the following new event. Please click on the links for further information and to book.

Thursday Feb 9 Visual Artists Café: Climate Action

Over the last year VAI has worked with John Thorne, Sustainability Coordinator at Glasgow School of Art, to help support visual artists evaluate and shape their practices to be aware and inclusive of climate change principles. Empowering them to make meaningful and impactful changes.

In this visual artists café, we seek to take the conversation further and will look at where it could and should go next. We will speak with leading culture figure Tania Benotti, Director of Creative Ireland, on Climate Change and its importance within the Creative Ireland programme and opportunities therein.

John Thorne will give a summary of the leading discussions and give a perspective on the delivery of the Ethical Artist webinars and clinics.

We will also speak with visual artists from Ireland, Canada and the USA in whose practice climate change awareness features prominently.

  • Tia Vellani
  • Helena Wadsley
  • Reenie Charriere

This event is free for VAI members. €5 for General admission. Book now.

Also, you still have the opportunity to see Áine Phillips return on Thursday 2 Feb to deliver an online webinar that explores the terminology and practice of socially engaged art. This would suit those who are interested in delivering local and community led work for and with a range of communities. Free for Artists from Counties Clare, Limerick and Tipperary. €5 for members. €10 General admission.

We look forward to seeing you at these events.

News

Eight artists awarded studios at Temple Bar Gallery + Studios

Temple Bar Gallery + Studios is pleased to announce the awarded artists from the open call for Three Year Membership Studios and Project Studios.

Three Year Membership Studios have been awarded to Clodagh EmoeLisa FreemanJaki Irvine, and Jesse Jones. Project Studios have been awarded to Tara CarrollMaïa NunesMandy O’Neill, and Luke van Gelderen.

Three Year Membership Studios at Temple Bar Gallery + Studios offer a long-term tenure to artists who have developed an established, professional practice. Project Studios offer a one-year tenure to artists who are developing exciting emerging practices and demonstrate talent and potential.

The artists were awarded their studios by a selection panel following an open submission application process. The panel included current TBG+S Studio members and established curators based in Ireland and internationally. The selected artists are representative of the exceptionally high-quality and rigorous contemporary art practices in Ireland today. We look forward to welcoming them all into the TBG+S community.

This year, TBG+S received an unprecedented number of excellent applications and we would like to extend our gratitude to all the artists who took time to submit applications to the open call.

TBG+S provides excellent workspaces for over thirty artists to work in Dublin city centre. The artwork made in the studios is often exhibited in galleries across Ireland and internationally. As well as studio space, TBG+S offers the artists professional development opportunities such as studio visits from international visiting curators and artists. We look forward to supporting them to make ambitious new work in the years to come.

More here.

Belfast’s Golden Thread Gallery shortlisted for major £100k Gulbenkian Arts Award

Golden Thread Gallery in Belfast is delighted to be able to share the news that we have been shortlisted for the Calouste Gulbenkian Foundation Award for Civic Arts Organisations 2023.

We are one of 10 organisations from across the UK shortlisted for the prestigious award, which celebrates arts organisations putting co-creation with their communities at the heart of their work.

Hundreds of organisations submitted applications to the initiative, but just ten have been shortlisted. The Award offers a total of £150,000 prize funding, one of the largest amounts for an award in the arts sector. There will be three prizes awarded, one of £100,000 and two of £25,000 each.

GTG Deputy Director Sarah McAvera says: “For a growing arts organisation like the Golden Thread, an honour like this is a huge boost! Co-creating with communities here has become integral to what we do. We plan to continue developing new links and partnerships to co- create supportive and empowering projects through art.”

The Gulbenkian Foundation is dedicated to the promotion of the arts, philanthropy, science, and education. This Award places a spotlight on organisations that are helping communities thrive, even in the most challenging of contexts – whether by igniting joy, hope, compassion, and energy, improving wellbeing, forging new connections, or developing solutions. Recipients will be outstanding examples of how arts organisations can work in and with communities to address their needs and concerns, deepen relationships, and use arts and creativity to enable positive change.

Chair of the judging panel Baroness Bull CBE, Crossbench Peer, House of Lords, says:

“Reaching a shortlist of ten from such an exceptional pool of applicants was no easy task and I’m hugely grateful to our panel of judges who approached the challenge with both wisdom and generosity. The panel was impressed by the innovative approaches to co-creation and the range of activities of all the organisations it considered, but selected the shortlisted ten because they offered outstanding examples of how creativity can bring diverse groups of people together to address community needs and enhance lives. While it remains a challenging time for arts organisations and for the communities they serve, these inspirational stories give us hope for new, inclusive and sustainable models of cultural participation.”

The shortlisted organisations will now go through a second stage of assessments and panel interviews, before the final winners are chosen and announced in late March.

Media enquiries:

Read full details of the Award here: https://gulbenkian.pt/uk-branch/shortlist-announced- award-for-civic-arts-organisations-2023/

GTG Deputy Director Sarah McAvera is available for interview. Please contact Liz Byrne, Development & Fundraising Officer, devel...@goldenthreadgallery.co.uk / 07817932778 / www.goldenthreadgallery.co.uk

About the GTG

Golden Thread Gallery (GTG) has played an important role in the provision of contemporary visual art in Belfast and Northern Ireland since it was established in 2001. Our mission is to present high-quality, innovative artistic programmes that capture the diversity of contemporary arts practice, and which engage, educate, challenge, and inspire audiences. We strive to extend the reach of the arts, nurturing a deep understanding and enjoyment of current visual arts practice within our communities, and championing the work of Northern Irish artists. The GTG is a recognised charity, and our core funders are the Arts Council of Northern Ireland and Belfast City Council.

Aidan Crotty and Kate MacDonagh Selected Artists for 6-month Residencies at The Model Sligo

Sligo Arts Service and The Model, Sligo are delighted to announce Artists Aidan Crotty and Kate MacDonagh as the first 2 recipients of the Artist Studio Residency programme, at The Model, commencing February 2023; following an Open Call process in late 2022. The first 2, of 4 Artist Residencies will run between the 1st February to 31st July 2023. The Artist Residency programme aims to enable Sligo-based artists to develop their studio practice during a 6-month period. It comes as a response to a The Sligo Culture and Creativity Strategy 2018-2022’s public consultation and RIOT: Sligo conference, which identified a need to support visual artists in securing studio space in Sligo.

This residency programme is funded and managed by Sligo Arts Service and made possible by Creative Ireland.

There will be a further announcement later in the year, of the 2 recipients selected for the second half of the residency programme, running from August 2023 to January 2024.

Quotes:

“I would like to congratulate Aidan and Kate on their successful applications to the Artist Studio Residency Programme, which I’m certain will provide them with invaluable experience in developing their creative talents and skills. This is a fantastic initiative for Sligo based artists and I congratulate both the Sligo Arts Service and The Model on their co-operated effort in bringing this worthwhile Programme to fruition.”

– Cathaoirleach Councillor Michael Clarke, Sligo County Council

“Sligo County Council Arts Service is delighted to support four artists in 2023 to take up the Model’s superb studio facilities. We are responding to the ongoing needs of artists to access spaces in Sligo in which to work. We hope to increase this kind of support in the future.”

– Mary McDonagh, Acting Arts Officer, Sligo County Council

“The Model is very pleased to partner with Sligo Arts Service on this bursary award for artists in the region. This support will enable four artists to build upon their studio practice in 2023, which is a critical cornerstone of ongoing professional development. Additionally, it enables the formation of new networks, opens the door for new collaborations and the sharing of ideas, all of which are vital elements of a healthy arts infrastructure in Sligo.”

– Emer McGarry, Director, The Model, Sligo

“I’m delighted to have this opportunity to develop my work in a locally dedicated studio space at the Model. This residency has come at the right moment and I’m looking forward to getting started. ” – Aidan Crotty, Artist

“I am delighted to have received this residency at the Model- the timing couldn’t be better: I am starting a collaborative project of large work for an exhibition in Japan next year. I needed a studio to realize the project. Many thanks to Sligo Arts Service and The Model for this wonderful opportunity.” – Kate MacDonagh, Artist

Inaugural Saint Brigid’s Day bank holiday cultural programme launched to celebrate women in Ireland

From the Department of Tourism, Culture, Arts, Gaeltacht, Sport and Media:

Minister Martin welcomes exciting range of events celebrating the achievements of Irish women across the National Cultural Institutions

An inspiring programme of cultural events taking place across the National Cultural Institutions has been announced in recognition of the first Bank Holiday for Imbolc/St Brigid’s Day. As the first Irish public holiday named after a woman, St Brigid’s Day provides a unique opportunity to acknowledge the critical role that women have played in Irish history, culture and society.

In Celtic mythology, Brigid was a triple goddess – of healing, fire, and of poetry – and the Christian saint who took her name, born in 450 AD, carried some of those same associations as the patron saint of poets and midwives. As such, this bank holiday carries a dual opportunity to recognise the role of women through our arts and cultural heritage.

Our National Cultural Institutions have organised an exciting programme of events over the long weekend in response. This includes exhibitions at IMMA and the National Museum celebrating the work of seminal Irish women artists and political pioneers.  IMMA will open Irish Gothic, a major retrospective by renowned Irish artist Patricia Hurl at IMMA. This marks the first in a series of solo exhibitions at IMMA that will focus on Irish and international women artists throughout the year.

The National Museum of Ireland – Collins Barracks will also present Bonnets, Bandoliers and Ballot Papers, which offers a unique insight into the changing role of women during the transformational first decades of the 20th century through the lens of artefacts in the collection. These are just a selection of the numerous events taking place at the National Cultural Institutions, with further details available on individual institutions’ websites.

There will be a range of community based events organised by the local authorities as part of their Culture and Creativity Strategies under Creative Ireland in Galway, Kerry, Louth, Offaly, Roscommon, Tipperary and Kildare. Herstory Light Show is leading festivities by illuminating a number of local landmarks with art of Brigid and Irish goddesses across several locations in Ireland. A giant Sliabh na mBan Cloak prepared by local women will be unveiled in Tipperary while Kildare County Council has planned a programme of events celebrating its unique links with St. Brigid.

Elsewhere, Herself – a large scale public ‘projection project’ – will take place in Galway on February 4th. In collaboration with local community groups, artists Shona MacGillivray and Jill Beardsworth have identified women whose lives and work embody the qualities that Brigid is known for. Individual moving portraits of each woman have been filmed and layered with visuals representing their ‘Brigid’ qualities. The images will be projected at dusk on the neo-classical courthouse building in Gort town square on the new Brigid bank holiday weekend. The project illuminates those women who work quietly in the background, nurturing, protecting, growing, healing, listening and making our world a better place to be.

Meanwhile, Mná100, a key element of the Decade of Centenaries Programme, have partnered with the Department of Foreign Affairs Irish Embassy in Delhi, India, to produce a short film piece on the life of Roscommon woman Margaret Cousins. Cousins worked for suffrage, the rights of women, and gender equality both in Ireland and in India. This piece looks at her lasting legacy in Ireland and India to this day.

A number of Irish Embassies and Consulates will also organise events this year, celebrating the pioneering role of Irish women in various aspects of life. The programme will showcase Ireland’s commitment to diversity and gender equality by celebrating the achievements of women, and acknowledging women’s contribution across the world.

Minister Martin, said:

 I look forward greatly to the inaugural Saint Brigid’s Day bank holiday, also known as Imbolc, which heralds the beginning of spring, a time of growth and renewal. This presents a unique opportunity to reflect upon the vital role that Irish women have played in building, sustaining and inspiring our nation.

“I look forward to working with the National Cultural Institutions to further embed St Brigid’s Day into their annual programmes for 2024 and beyond.”

 For more information visit https://www.ireland.ie/en/

Job Vacancies

Job Vacancy | Weekend Visitor Services Assistant at Butler Gallery

Butler Gallery is the leading contemporary art gallery and museum with a permanent collection in the South East. We are seeking a dynamic and experienced Visitor Services Assistant to join our growing team. This is an excellent opportunity for candidates with a demonstrable interest in the arts and cultural tourism at an exciting time as we expand within our new location, Evans’ Home in the heart of Kilkenny City. If you enjoy working as part of a team, dealing with the general public and have great interpersonal and customer service skills we want to hear from you.

Job Description

  • Title: Visitor Services Assistant
  • Contract Type: Weekends13 hours per week
  • Rate of pay: Competitive package available
  • Closing Date: February 18th, 2023
  • Reporting to: Visitor Services Manager

Overall Purpose of this Post:

The Visitor Services Assistant coordinates Visitor Services including the day to day operations of the reception area to ensure the delivery of an exceptional visitor experience and implementation of the Visitor Services retail activities.

Person specification:

Successful candidates will have:

  • A minimum of two years’ experience in a relevant area.
  • Excellent administration and customer service skills.
  • A demonstrable interest or experience in arts, heritage or cultural tourism.
  • Ability to communicate clearly both orally and in writing, to adults, children and young people.

Main Objectives

  • With the Visitor Services Manager, work closely with the Butler Gallery Team as required to ensure the delivery of the Butler Gallery’s vision, business plan, and wider strategic objectives.
  • Take day-to-day operational responsibility for the visitor experience from meeting and greeting visitors, dealing with visitor queries on-site and over the phone, liaising with tour operators, taking bookings and dealing with issues as they arise.
  • To develop a thorough knowledge of the requirements of the visitor experience, the story it tells, the exhibitions, the facilities, and commercial services to ensure the reception area is efficiently managed to deliver the standards and targets expected of a world class visitor attraction.
  • To provide feedback and reporting as required regarding the planning and selection of a range of products to sell in the shop, regularly reviewing sales performance to ensure products meet customer demand and maximise the profitability of the retail offer.
  • To adopt a creative and dynamic approach to front of house activity maintaining a friendly and welcoming persona at all times and to liaise with the Development Director, Visitor Services Manager and Learning & Engagement Curator to optimise relationships, promotional and content development opportunities as they arise.
  • To ensure appropriate levels of staffing are established and maintained at all times to deliver an exceptional visitor experience, making sure that the Visitor Services Volunteer Team have a clear understanding of their roles and responsibilities and are ready and able to operate in a professional, friendly, and efficient manner.
  • To deliver guided tours to the general public and special interest groups.
  • To assist the Visitor Services Manager in developing and delivering a commercial approach to the running of the Reception area including the commercial growth of the audio tours, venue hire bookings, retail and café operations, liaising with tour groups, booking tours and assisting with events and functions to help to maximise revenue for the Museum.

Operations

  • On allocated days to act as Duty Manager and key holder to ensure the Museum is opened and locked in accordance with the operational and security procedures.
  • To be responsible for the presentation of the reception area of the premises ensuring that high standards are maintained at all times.
  • To be responsible for the management and presentation of event spaces at weekend Learning and Public Engagement events.
  • To liaise with artists who deliver weekend workshops and activities.
  • To manage incoming deliveries and liaise with associated parties where required.
  • Provide assistance as required to visitors with additional access requirements, including notification of services available, and description of site mobility.
  • Ensure that appropriate financial and cash handling procedures and controls are maintained at all times, and that a full audit trail is maintained and available for inspection.
  • Work with the Visitor Services Manager and the Development Director to reach annual revenue and overhead targets for areas of responsibility.

Health & Safety

  • To work closely with the Visitor Services Manager and the Health and Safety Officer to ensure the safety of all visitors whilst on the premises and ensure policies and procedures are understood and adhered to by volunteers on site.
  • Act as a designated first aider, and ensure that there is an appropriate level of first aid cover.

Requirements:

  • Candidate must be willing to be Garda Vetted and undertake a safe recruitment process.
  • Candidate must be willing to undertake required training.

Send applications to recru...@butlergallery.ie

Closing date for applications Feb 18th, 2023

Job Vacancy | Director of Technical Training and Facilities Management at The Lir Academy

The Lir Academy is seeking to appoint a new Director of Technical Training & Facilities Management.

The Director of Technical Training & Facilities Management will assume the role of Course Director of The Lir’s Bachelor in Stage Management & Technical Theatre (Hons) degree, one of The Lir’s two flagship undergraduate degrees. As Head of Facilities, they will also ensure that the Lir’s purpose-built facilities and state-of-the-art equipment continue to meet the needs of a demanding drama school environment. The successful candidate will build on the hugely valuable partnerships with our Technical Supporters who are listed here including our Lead Technical Sponsor PSI. They will also act as Safety Officer for The Lir.

The Director of Technical Training & Facilities Management will work alongside the rest of The Lir’s Senior Management Team on the realisation of The Lir’s new Strategic Plan 2022-2026 which is available here.

For a full job description, please click here.

Application Details: Short-listing of candidates will be based on the information contained in their CV and cover letter. Applicants called to interview may be asked to prepare a presentation outlining their approach to the role.

Closing date for receipt of applications is 5pm on Monday, February 20th 2023.

Interviews will be held online in the week beginning February 27th 2023.

Preferred starting date is on or before on or before April 3rd 2023.

Job Vacancy | Visitor Services Assistant at Lismore Castle Arts

Lismore Castle Arts is seeking a number of Visitor Services Assistants for 2023. Suitable candidates will be responsible for garden admissions, gallery invigilation, café, garden produce and plant sales and gallery administration. The role is temporary part-time with the contract running from March 6th to 29th October 2023. Weekends and occasional evening availability is required. Successful candidates will have related experience, a good knowledge of contemporary art and excellent administration and customer service skills. Training in online booking systems will be provided. Please note that all interested candidates should have access to their own transport.

Hours of work: Seasonal March to October. Approx 3 to 4 days per week, 10.00am – 6.00pm, with some occasional events / evenings as required.

Role and responsibilities

  • Welcoming visitors to both the gardens and the gallery
  • Act as the main point of contact for all Gallery and Garden visitors
  • Guiding tours for groups and individuals.
  • Providing information on the Friends Scheme membership to visitors.
  • Supervise and mediate the works on display in the Gallery
  • Keep accurate records of Gallery and Garden visitor numbers
  • Sale of merchandise and refreshments and handling of cash
  • Gallery Administration incl. mail-outs, article filing, daily reports etc.
  • Press and publicity monitoring
  • Provide assistance at events, including talks and seminars
  • Assisting with the delivery of educational activities
  • Provide Administrative support to the permanent staff team as required
  • Liaise with members of other departments
  • General Gallery/Reception/ maintenance
  • Ensuring all public areas are maintained to a high standard
  • Other duties as determined by your manager

Person specifications

  • Educated to degree level in relevant area, or equivalent experience
  • Experience working in an arts organisation or an arts related industry environment
  • Knowledge of the range of Irish arts and cultural organisations
  • Experience of working in a customer service environment
  • Ability to communicate clearly both orally and in writing to adults, children and young people
  • Flexibility regarding evening and weekend work which will be required
  • Basic IT skills

To apply, please send your CV and cover letter by 2pm on 3rdh February 2023 to Alan Boardman at in...@lismorecastlearts.ie

Alan Boardman, Operations Manager, Lismore Castle Arts, Lismore, Co. Waterford

Job Vacancy | Festival Curator at Belfast Photo Festival (Maternity Cover)

ABOUT THE POST

The Festival Curator is a key player in the successful delivery of the Belfast Photo Festival. Reporting to the company CEO, they are responsible for the overall artistic direction and development of the annual festival programme. Their role includes curating projects, spearheading new work and commissions and overseeing their development; fundraising for all aspects of the festival; pro-actively developing partnerships with local, national and international arts organisations, artists, funders and other stakeholders/partners; catalysing active participation in and knowledge of the local and international arts community; developing fresh thinking for the festival’s artistic, outreach and touring programmes; managing the development and delivery of the city-wide festival and other related activities throughout the year in partnership with the festival CEO.

We are an equal opportunities employer.

More information: https://www.belfastphotofestival.com/curator

ABOUT THE ORGANISATION

Belfast Photo Festival is a not-for-profit organisation that presents one of the leading International Festivals of photography in the United Kingdom and Ireland.

Launched in 2011, this now annual photographic event has been described as one of the “best photography festivals in the world” (Capture Magazine) and attracts upwards of 100 thousand visitors a year, celebrating some of the finest National and International contemporary photography across 30 museums, galleries and public spaces. Capturing wide appeal through popular culture, accessible themes and unexpected encounters with photography, the festival aims to instil and inspire public enjoyment and participation by utilising the most accessible artistic medium and bringing it to new audiences in cool and unusual ways.

The programme consistently addresses the political, social and cultural climate of Belfast, raising global issues and animating them through high caliber international photography.

The Festival consists of exhibitions, talks, symposiums, workshops, screenings, masterclasses, portfolio reviews and tours.

Visual Artists Ireland: Membership Development & Communications

[...]

Job Vacancy | Company Administrator at Macnas

Macnas is seeking a Company Administrator. This is an opportunity for a curious and hard-working individual, with a strong interest in developing a career in the arts sector.

PURPOSE OF THE ROLE

  • Supporting Macnas in all aspects of the production and delivery of large-scale spectacle theatre.
  • Supporting the company’s extensive programme of arts engagement, education and public participation.
  • Organising the office and home base

RESPONSIBILITIES

Management

  • Be the initial point of contact for Macnas, ensuring that this role is covered at all times.
  • Organise the smooth running of the office, handling issues relating to maintenance, cleaning, equipment and insurance.
  • Create and update records and databases with personnel, financial and other data.
  • Support budgeting and bookkeeping procedures.
  • Work with Designers and Printers.
  • · Assist colleagues whenever necessary.

Production

  • Organise the advance planning, logistical and administrative arrangements for all presentations, in Ireland and for international touring, in line with the requirements of the Producer and Artistic Director.

This will include:

  • Communicating regularly with those involved in the performances/travel to ensure they are kept up to date on all arrangements and handling their queries.
  • Booking flights and accommodation and circulating details to those involved.
  • Arranging visas for those travelling.
  • Managing financial arrangements including cash for float.
  • Administer health and travel insurance for touring company on all tour dates (on top of yearly policy cover for PL, EL, Property).

Download  job description for further details

Job Vacancy | Summer Camp Leader at Designer Minds

We are looking for enthusiastic individuals to join our teams of leaders nationwide. This summer we will be running 2 types of camps. Art camps and STEAM camps.

STEAM CAMP LEADERS
Bring the wonders of Science, Design & Technology to primary kids by delivering fun, interactive summer camps with Designer Minds! This role involves travelling to various venues, bringing equipment such as LEGO, art and science materials and robots and guiding primary children through a range of fun activities from STEAM: Science, Technology, Engineering, Art & Maths. You will be provided with the lesson plans, training and equipment.

ART CAMP LEADERS
Bring the joy of art and design to primary kids by delivering hands-on, interactive camps with Designer Minds. This role involves travelling to various venues, bring art, design and tech equipment and guiding children through a range of interactive art activities; painting, drawing, upcycling and sculpting as well as some digital art skills such as creative coding, animation and graphic design. You will be provided with the lesson plans, training and equipment.

Travelling is essential as Designer Minds events do not take place in a fixed location. This job involves travelling to a different venue each week for summer camps. It is important that you have your own car so that you may transport the materials required for the children’s activities. Designer Minds leaders work in groups of 2-3.

Most camps are scheduled from 9am-1pm, Monday to Friday, with afternoon camps on some weeks also, from 2-6pm.

This is a fantastic experience for teachers, special needs assistants, early childhood experts and professionals with a background in the STEAM subjects or ARTISTS / ART TEACHERS. It is an opportunity to develop skills in a vibrant and forward-thinking educational environment. Pay rate is dependent on position and experience. A travelling allowance will also be provided.

Required Education, Skills and Qualifications

  • Applicants must have experience working with children.
  • Applicants should have a qualification in education OR ART OR in a STEAM related field (Science, Technology, Engineering, Art or Maths). Third level students of these disciplines should also apply.
  • Applicants need to have their own mode of transport with full licence and insurance.
  • You must be willing to travel to a number of different venues. A car is necessary to transport, store and carry boxes of Designer Minds kit each week and you will need to be responsible for maintaining/charging supplies when needed.
  • Excellent communication skills. Being capable of maintaining excellent relationships with children and parents with a friendly and sociable attitude. Being capable of communicating with head office in an efficient and professional manner.
  • The ability to maintain discipline in a classroom setting and ensure the safety of all children.
  • It is essential to be an excellent timekeeper and reliable.
  • First aid training and manual handling certificate an advantage.
  • Must be willing to be Garda vetted

Above all, you must be enthusiastic about working with children, with an upbeat, kind and friendly manner.

Check out designerminds.ie/work-with-us for more information and to apply.

Salary: €14.00-€19.00 per hour

Job Vacancy | Administrator / Communications Manager at Fire Station Artists’ Studios (Part-time)

This is a role that involves general administration, communications and some project management in day-to-day running of the Fire Station Artists’ Studios, reporting to the Director, in a dynamic and energetic environment.

For the full job description follow the link above.

For any queries contact dire...@firestation.ie

Job Vacancy | Programme and Outreach Manager at Fire Station Artists’ Studios

An opportunity has arisen to work with the FSAS team on its programme development and delivery. A 3-year term as Programme & Outreach Manager will be awarded to the successful applicant to work on innovative project development and delivery, for its annual curatorial programme as well as the overall residency and resources offered by FSAS.

For the full job description please follow the link above to our website.

For any queries contact: dire...@firestation.ie

Job Vacancy | Digital Media Resources Manager at Fire Station Artists’ Studios (Part-time)

An opportunity has arisen to work with the FSAS team on its programme and delivery of service. A short-term contract as Digital Media Resources Manager will be awarded to the successful applicant to work on innovative project development and delivery, as well as the overall residency and resources offered by FSAS.

For the full job description follow the link above to our website.

For any queries contact: dire...@firestation.ie

Job Vacancy | Building and Technical Support Officer at Fire Station Artists’ Studios (Part-time)

An opportunity has arisen to work with the FSAS team on its programme and delivery of service as Building Maintenance & Technical Support Officer. The successful applicant will work as part of a small team that is committed to the provision of live / workspaces, sculpture, digital media, and curatorial resources to Visual Artists in Ireland, based in an old building in the heart of Dublin. This opportunity will suit a candidate who is looking for part-time work for 2.5 days per week, in Dublin 1.

For the full job description please visit our website at the link above.

For any queries contact: dire...@firestation.ie

Opportunities Ireland

Open Call | RENDR Exhibition 2023 in Belfast

This is a free opportunity open to every creative discipline you can imagine!

Here at RENDR Festival we are all about showcasing local and international talent to build a creative community alike. The RENDR Exhibition is a virtual gallery for any creative discipline to get involved.

We are constantly open to submissions with new artworks being added to the site daily. Participants will have the chance to have their work shared across our social channels and a selection of entries will be shown at RENDR Festival 2023! Submit yours now!

For more information and to apply click here.

Open Call | Presentations for Arts in Education Portal Spring Regional Day 2023

Artists, teachers, academics and arts education professionals… Would you like to be part of the Portal Spring Regional Day? The Arts in Education Portal Team are seeking submissions for presentations for the Portal Spring Regional Day 2023 with a focus on the South-West Region. This regional event will take place in Cork City on 6th May 2023.

The event aims to connect teachers, artists, arts managers and anyone with an interest in art and creativity in education based in Cork, Kerry, Limerick and Tipperary. Practitioners can learn more about the Portal and what it offers, tell us about their work, connect with the community at regional level, share practice and find out what opportunities or events are available in their local area.

We are inviting proposals from organisations or individuals who are involved in arts and creative projects in education in the South-West, and who want to give inspiring presentations that can offer sharing of skills, practical approaches, new insights and critical thinking across the field, from a range of perspectives.

The 2023 event will also include an accompanying exhibition in partnership with Sample Studios at their gallery in the Lord Mayor’s Pavilion, Fitzgerald Park. The exhibition will be an opportunity for artists from successful proposals to exhibit their own work. The exhibition will run from 27th April to 27th May.

Do you have a presentation that you would like to be included in the programme for the Portal Spring Regional Day? If so, please get in touch by email to edi...@artsineducation.ie.

Further Information

  • The programme includes two project presentations with up to two presenters.
  • Presenters will be remunerated.
  • Deadline: 5pm, 3 February 2023

Opportunities International

Open Call | Feelings and Emotions Juried Exhibition for Curators from UPWARD Gallery

One of the most important functions of art is that it helps a person to clarify their own feelings and emotions. It provides a mirror that reflects the images of the feelings we experience, which allows us not only to evaluate ourselves and see our emotional world from the outside, but also to tell something to another about his world. Looking into this mirror, the viewer can identify himself with the character or the author, penetrate the world of a work of art, understand the feelings and perceive the emotions contained in it.

We are excited to introduce the Feelings and Emotions juried art exhibition for curators.
Acceptable mediums include all traditional art media (e.g., oil, watercolor, acrylic, pastel, mixed media, gouache, egg tempera, pen and ink; drawing media such as graphite, charcoal, colored pencils, scratch board, markers, metal point), digital painting, arts and crafts (beadwork, pottery, embroidery, floristry, batik, stained glass, two-dimensional collage and fabric art as well, etc.).
No profanity or political artwork.

Entries must be submitted by curators of entrants. Entrants must be at least 18 years of age or older. To submit entries, the curator must be registered on the site with the account type Curator. Curators may not submit their own artworks.

Each curator and artist receive a personal page (solo exhibition) on the UPWARD gallery. Artist’s page displays works that the artist submitted for participation in competitions and exhibitions, short biography text and artist statement, links to the artist’s website and links to social media accounts, interview with the artist. Curator’s page displays his artist’s works that the curator submitted for participation in competitions and exhibitions, short biography text, links to the curator’s website, as well as links to social media accounts, interview with the curator.

The curator can submit three works free of charge to participate in the curated exhibition. Each additional entry is paid on a general basis: $12 for entry, $10 (2-4 entries), $9 (5 or more entries).

The winners (1st place) — the artist and his curator will be interviewed by the UPWARD Gallery editors for publication in the quarterly printed edition UPWARD’s Quarterly and on the site in the section Interviews.

Certificates: all entrants will receive electronic certificates based on the results of the Exhibition. The winners will receive electronic certificates for the 1st place, 2nd place, and 3rd place. Also, the most deserving works will be marked with electronic certificates Merit Awards, Honorable Mention Awards, and Finalist. Other entrants will receive electronic certificates for participation in the Exhibition.

Selected works (1st place, 2nd place, 3rd place and Merit Award) will be presented in the quarterly printed edition UPWARD’s Quarterly, as well as in the curated galleries on the site in the section Discover. The authors of these works will receive Social Media Promotion (Instagram).

The winners of the Exhibition (1st place, 2nd place, 3rd place) will be able to take part for free with two artworks in our next exhibitions.

For any clarifications please contact us at in...@upwardgallery.com

Open Call | Supermarket Art Fair in Stockholm, Sweden

Ormston House is seeking submissions from members for a solo or two-person booth at Supermarket Art Fair in Stockholm, Sweden in May 2023. Supermarket is an international artist-run fair showcasing unique projects and ideas by artists from around the world. Please note, this open call is for artists based in Ireland.

The theme of Supermarket 2023 is the Twilight Zone, another name for the Earth’s terminator, a moving border between the light and the dark dividing the planet into daytime and nighttime. While one half of the world is bathed in sunlight, the other is shrouded in shadow. What happens at the thin line between the day and the night? A literal interpretation is not required, we encourage artists to respond creatively to the theme in their submission.

Please email your submission to in...@ormstonhouse.com with the subject line: Supermarket 2023. Your submission should not exceed 20MB. The deadline is Wednesday 22 February 2023 at 12pm.

Required

  • A biography (up to 250 words per artist).
  • An artist’s work statement (up to 250 words per artist) and your response to the theme (up to 250 words).
  • A single pdf with up to 10 images or other documentation of the proposed works. Please note, only existing works will be considered; include titles, years, materials, dimensions, duration, photography credit, and any other relevant information in your pdf.

Optional

  • Access requirements (see Examples of Access Docs).
  • Installation notes (additional technical requirements or considerations).
  • Other information you think is important.

The selected artist(s) will be invited to travel to Sweden between 8 and 15 May 2023. Ormston House will cover travel, accommodation, per diems at a minimum of €25/day up to €200, and a participation fee for the selected artist(s) of €200 each. The selected artist(s) should be on site for the installation, duration and de-installation, and will be encouraged to meet and network with other participating artists and artists’ initiatives.

In order to keep administration costs to a minimum and the Membership Scheme free, we will not be offering feedback on individual submissions

Open Call | apexart International 2023-24 in New York City

apexart will accept proposals for its International Open Call from February 1 – March 1, 2023. Four winning proposals will become apexart exhibitions presented in their selected locations around the world as part of our 2023-24 exhibition season. Curators, artists, writers, and creative individuals, regardless of location or past experience, are invited to submit a proposal online.

The submission process
Proposals of up to 500 words should describe focused, idea-driven, original group exhibitions, and the country and city in which they are to take place. No biographical information, CVs, links, or images will be accepted, and proposals must be submitted in English. Jurors rate anonymous submissions based on the idea only. See examples of winning proposals here.

The selection process
Rather than convene a panel of a few art world people to review hundreds of ideas, apexart’s crowd-sourced voting system invites hundreds of international jurors to review proposals on their own schedule. The crowd-sourced jury is composed of more than 600 individuals from a wide variety of professional backgrounds and international locations—including students from 17+ participating university classes—who will vote on the proposals. Proposals are anonymous and randomized to make sure each submission receives the same consideration. apexart staff does not influence the results of the jury in any way.

The results
The four winning proposals will each receive an exhibition budget of up to $11,000; have an exhibition brochure printed and mailed to over six thousand international recipients; advertising in major and local outlets; and will be part of apexart’s 2023-2024 exhibition season. Working closely with the apexart team, curators will realize their original ideas into apexart exhibitions. Exhibition curators are challenged, encouraged, and required to work within the funding provided to transform their winning proposals into small, focused, noteworthy exhibitions.

To submit an exhibition proposal, visit https://apexart.org/opencalls.php between February 1 and March 1, 2023.

Open Call | Submissions to Metachrosis Literary Magazine

Metachrosis literary magazine is an online publication that strives to be the place where the foundations of the world around us are explored and celebrated. Created as part of the Art, Science, and Visual Thinking MFA at Dundee University, this magazine is open to all forms of writing, art, and Hybrid work, whether creative or factual. We’re open for submissions until February 21st for our first issue.

For more information and to submit click here.

Residencies

Open Call | Community Artist-Curator Residency: A Pilot Opportunity at Cork St Patrick’s Parade

Expressions of Interest are invited by email for the first stage of selection for the role of Community Artist Curator in Residence at Cork St Patrick’s Parade 2024 by 12pm on 13th February 2023.

Up to four shortlisted applicants will be provided with a unique insight behind the scenes of the 2023 parade prior to submission of a proposal for the role of Community Artist Curator in Residence at Cork St Patrick’s Parade 2024. A stipend of €500 per shortlisted candidate will support Stage 1. Please note that additional limited funding will be available to cover access costs (including childcare fees, if applicable) pending discussion with Cork City Council’s Events Team following the shortlisting process.

The purpose of this pilot opportunity is to support Art in the Public Realm, a strategic priority of Cork City’s Arts and Culture Strategy 2022-20226. We hope it will enable us to build on the strong tradition of outdoor arts in Cork City and capacitating the realisation of memorable arts experiences in the public realm, across all art forms and practices, ensuring environmentally sustainable approaches.

Full details and submission guidelines for Stages 1 and 2 can be accessed via the link provided.

Please note that funding of €22000 will not be awarded until Stage 2. The deadline for Stage 2 is 17th April 2022. Only those shortlisted via Stage 1 may apply.

Image Credit: Giant Puppet by Cork Puppetry Company at Cork St Patrick’s Parade 2023. Photo by Darragh Kane.

Funding / Awards

Deadline Reminder | Visual Arts Bursary Award from the Arts Council

Closing date 17:30, Thursday 09 February 2023
Maximum awarded €20,000
Artform and practice(s) Visual arts
Applicant type Individual Artist
Telephone 01 6180 200/01 6180243
Email awa...@artscouncil.ie

Purpose of the award

The purpose of the award is to support professional artists or curators at any stage of their career to develop their practice. It provides artists or curators with the time and resources to think, research, reflect and critically engage with their work.

For more information and to apply click here.

Deadline Reminder | Street Arts and Spectacle Bursary Award from the Arts Council

Closing date 17:30, Thursday 09 February 2023
Maximum awarded €20,000
Artform and practice(s) Spectacle
Applicant type Individual Artist
Telephone 01 6180200/01 6180243
Email awa...@artscouncil.ie

Purpose of award

The purpose of the award is to support professional artists at any stage of their career to develop their art practice. It provides artists with the time and resources to think, research, reflect and critically engage with their art.

Guidelines will be published 20/21 December

For more information and to apply click here.

Deadline Reminder | Film Bursary Award from the Arts Council

Closing date 17:30, Thursday 09 February 2023
Maximum awarded €20,000
Artform and practice(s) Film
Applicant type Individual Artist
Telephone 01 6180 200/01 6180243
Email awa...@artscouncil.ie

The purpose of the award

The purpose of the award is to support professional artists at any stage of their career  to develop their art practice. It provides artists with the time and resources to think, research, reflect and critically engage with their art.

For more information and to apply click here.

Deadline Reminder | Arts Participation Bursary Award from the Arts Council

Closing date 17:30, Thursday 09 February 2023
Maximum awarded €20,000
Artform and practice(s) Arts participation
Applicant type Individual Artist
Telephone 01 61 80 200/01 6180243
Email awa...@artscouncil.ie

The purpose of the award

The purpose of the award is to support professional artists to develop their art practice. It provides artists with the time and resources to think, research, reflect and critically engage with their art.

See a list of frequently asked questions about the arts participation bursary award here.

Guidelines will be available 20/21 December.

For more information and to apply click here.

Deadline Reminder | Architecture Bursary Award from the Arts Council

Closing date 17:30, Thursday 09 February 2023
Maximum awarded €20,000
Artform and practice(s) Architecture
Applicant type Individual Artist
Telephone 01 61 80 200/01 6180243
Email awa...@artscouncil.ie

Purpose of the award

The purpose of the award is to support professional artists at any stage of their career to develop their art practice. It provides artists with the time and resources to think, research, reflect and critically engage with their artform.

Guidelines will be published 20/21 December

For more information and to apply click here.

Deadline Reminder | Agility Award 2023 from the Arts Council

Closing date 17:30, Thursday 09 February 2023
Maximum awarded €5,000
Applicant type Individual Artist
Telephone 01 618 0200/01 618 0243
Email agilit...@artscouncil.ie

The purpose of this award

The Agility Award aims to support individual professional freelance artists and arts workers at any stage in their careers.

For more information and to apply click here.

Deadline Reminder | Fire Station Artists’ Studios 2023 Practice Awards

FSAS is delighted to announce an Open Call for its 2023 FSAS Practice Awards for Sculpture and for Digital Media.

For nearly ten years, Fire Station Artists’ Studios (FSAS) has offered practice awards to artists to develop and refine their practice, experiment with new materials and/or have access to its facilities. FSAS aims to support artists at a critical point in their professional development. By providing relaxed access to space, equipment, technical support, curatorial advice, potluck communal lunches, international curator talks, vibrant courses, an annual summer seminar and much more, FSAS aims to support the practical and conceptual development of professional visual artists.

  • Applicants can apply to be considered for a residency in the FSAS sculpture workshop or the FSAS digital media production unit. These awards are non-residential.
  • The award period will take place for up to 12 weeks, sometime between March and June 2023, and scheduled closer to the time in consultation with the programme manager, digital media manager and sculpture workshop manager.
  • A stipend of 600 EUR is allocated to each award.
  • Free scheduled access to our Sculpture/Digital Media area
  • Technical support from our Workshop/Digital Media manager
  • Mentoring sessions with FSAS programme manager / director

An awareness of our facilities, resources and artistic programme is helpful when making an application. See our full list of our equipment on our website

Please refer to our website for details on how to apply.

Submit all documents in a single email by 6 February 2023 5pm.

Late applications will not be accepted

VAI Lifelong Learning & Events

Clinics: Socially Engaged Practice (County Clare/Limerick/Tipperary based Artists Only) (2 February)

Event: Socially Engage Practice

Format: Online Clinics (Online via zoom)

Date: Thursday 2nd February

Time: 1pm – 5pm

Description: Clinics offer focused 1-2-1 meetings with experts in their field. This supplementary set of eight 20 minute 1-on-1 clinic sessions will begin at 1pm for up to 8 County Kildare based Artists. Book now. Your time slot is confirmed on your ticket receipt.

Tutor biography
The online clinics will be undertaken by Áine Phillips.
Áine Phillips is a performance artist based in Galway, exhibiting and performing in Ireland and internationally since the late 80’s. She creates work for multiple contexts; public art commissions, the street, club events, galleries, theatres and museums. Her work is powered by feminist philosophy, ethics and politics: using art to comment and make propositions on subjectivity, gender and social change.

She is also a writer and teacher, promoting and advocating for performance and live art as a creative force for cultural and personal transformation. She has worked extensively as a curator and organiser of performance events in Ireland and the UK. She is Head of Sculpture at Burren College of Art since 1999. In 2015, she produced and edited ‘Performance Art in Ireland: A History’ (Live Art Development Agency/ Intellect Books UK) and publishes regularly in visual art journals, books and online platforms.

Her performative video works and art films have been screened internationally at festivals and exhibitions. Her work has been supported and collected by the Arts Council of Ireland and the National Museum of Ireland.

WEBINARS and ONLINE EVENTS: We use Zoom to host our online events. The following text should be followed and tested before registering for a Cafe or Help Desk Event. Zoom has an excellent Help Desk service if you are experiencing problems.

You will be emailed a link to the event in the confirmation email you receive after you have registered.

VAI DISCLAIMER: the information provided in this webinar/ clinic / helpdesk is general information only and does not constitute legal or commercial advice. No liability whatsoever is accepted by Visual Artists Ireland for any action taken in reliance on the information. Legal advice should always be sought from professionals on your personal situation or matters of a legal or financial nature.

Connectivity: Do you experience connectivity issues when engaging with online VAI events? If so why not search for the nearest BCP (Broadband Connection Point) in your area? To explore your options please visit: https://nbi.ie/bcp-map/

This event is brought to you in collaboration with  Clare, Limerick and Tipperary County Council Arts Offices.

.

Venue Online
Starts Thu Feb 2 2023, 13:00 GMT
Ends Thu Feb 2 2023, 17:00 GMT

Register Now!

Webinar: Socially Engaged Practice (2 February)

Event: Socially Engaged Practice

Format: Webinar (Online via zoom)

Date: Thursday 2nd February, 2023

Time: 11am (1.5 hr webinar)

What is Socially Engaged Practice? This session explores the terminology and practice of socially engaged art and would suit those who are interested in delivering local and community led work for and with a range of communities.

Following on from this webinar, County Clare/Limerick/Tipperary based visual artists can avail of 1 of 8 twenty minute 1-2-1 clinics with Áine Phillips.

Tutor Biography:

[...]

———————————————————————————————————————

[...]

This event is supported by Clare, Limerick and Tipperary County Council Arts Offices.

.

Venue Online
Starts Thu Feb 2 2023, 11:00 GMT
Ends Thu Feb 2 2023, 12:30 GMT

Register Now!

Workshops

Workshop | SFX Workshop at Grand Opera House, Belfast

SFX workshop at the Grand Opera House!

Join multi-award winning makeup artist Connie McGrath as she takes you through some tried and tested makeup FX techniques for creating realistic cuts, bruises, scabs and scars!  Take the first steps in creating your portfolio from this fabulous SFX workshop. Learn this fascinating craft in the glamorous Grand Opera House, Belfast this February mid-term.

Suitable for key stage 3 and Moving Image Art pupils, or anyone interested in learning more about makeup FX. Learn from one of Belfast’s most experienced make-up artists, working on several theatrical productions, supporting both local and international stages. Connie brings experimentation and creativity to each of her workshops-prepare to see your ideas come to life through this incredible experience.

No prior knowledge of the craft necessary.

The SFX workshops entail the following structure:

– Set up

– Latex allergy patch-test

– Introductory PowerPoint presentation

– A ‘How-to’ makeup demonstration-get the basics right to set the perfect foundation for your look.

– The creation of cuts, scabs & scars using ‘out-of-the-kit’ materials.

– Creating realistic bruises and the importance of colour theory-experiment with tone and texture to create your own unique look.

– Fake blood application-Control the chaos by perfecting this technique to create a polished professional finish.

– Photography session-see you ideas brought to life through the lens!

– Questions & answers-An opportunity not to be missed, receive expert tips and advice from Connie!

– Clean down

Workshop | Puppetry Workshop at Grand Opera House, Belfast

Join Jim Henson Company puppeteer Sarah Lyle and Cre8 Theatre for a puppet training play day. In this one-day puppetry workshop, you will learn the basics of puppetry technique in the morning, and in the afternoon, you will have the opportunity to apply your new skills in a camera work session where you will perform puppetry to camera using a green screen backdrop, giving your piece a professional touch. You will then be able to take your filmed piece home with you post-workshop.

This workshop is for age 16+ and suited to those with performance experience interested in expanding their skillset.

Learn something new this February mid-term at Grand Opera House, Belfast.

Workshop | Intermediate Digital Photography and Post Production at The Darkroom

This Intermediate course is available after the successful completion of DSP01 (Digital Photography Workshop), or for those with proven basic digital photography skills. This course builds on previous coursework and photography experience, and explores the use of Adobe Lightroom for processing images. By developing a professional workflow, participants will learn to organize and process raw files for output, for print, and for the web. We will experiment with different genres of photography, from night-time shooting to portrait photography. You will also learn how to use different types of lighting setups, including fill-in flash and the use of the lens focal length in flattening, exaggerating, and creating different moods within the images. Through practical application, you will work on a project of your choosing to be presented at the end of the course.

Our workshops are designed with a limited number of spaces in order to ensure that each participant receives valuable one-to-one attention from the tutor and enjoys their time at The Darkroom.

Duration: Four weeks (Tuesdays) 6.30pm to 9.30pm.

Workshop | Digital Photography at The Darkroom

Are you interested in using digital photography to expand your creativity? Our weekend digital photography workshop will help you use your camera with confidence. By exploring composition, along with the manual settings on your camera, you will be able to take great photographs under any circumstances. You will learn about ISO speeds, aperture settings, and shutter speeds. Both how they work, and their effect on exposure and creative applications. You will also learn to edit your images in Adobe Lightroom, and you are invited to print an image of your choice image on a high-quality paper and take it home with you. At the end of this course, you will not only have confidence in your digital photographic skills, but also the knowledge to use these tools to make creative and well-exposed images.

Our workshops are designed with a limited number of spaces in order to ensure that each participant receives valuable one-to-one attention from the tutor and enjoys their time at The Darkroom.

Duration: Two days (Saturday & Sunday) 10.30am – 4.30pm, both days.

Workshop | Large Format 5X4 Camera Workshop at The Darkroom

In this course, participants will learn the ins and outs of large formats, using 5X4 Cameras; including the use of the tilt, shift, and swing movements to shoot creative images; the loading of dark slides with black and white negative film; shooting with different set ups; and developing and making contact prints from your negatives. The Darkroom will provide all materials for this workshop. We have a few cameras available for your use, however please bring your own camera, if you have one. Participants in this course must be able to use a manual or automatic film camera and be familiar with the basic workings of SLR settings.

Our workshops are designed with a limited number of spaces in order to ensure that each participant receives valuable one-to-one attention from the tutor and enjoys their time at The Darkroom.

Duration: Two days (Saturday & Sunday) 10.30am – 4.30pm, both days.

Workshop | Advanced Black and White Darkroom at The Darkroom

This advanced course is available after successful completion of DPD02 (Intermediate Black and White Darkroom), or with proven intermediate darkroom skills. During the course, students will learn about exposure for black and white film through the use of Zone system techniques. You will learn to print on fibre-based paper using in depth split grading printing techniques. This course will enable students to create an archival toned black and white fine art print. Students will learn to enhance fibre-based prints through the use of lith, gold, and sepia toners. The Dark Room will provide all chemicals and paper needed for the duration of the course.

Our workshops are designed with a limited number of spaces in order to ensure that each participant receives valuable one-to-one attention from the tutor and enjoys their time at The Darkroom.

Duration: Two days (Saturday & Sunday) 10.30am – 4.30pm, both days.

Workshop | Intermediate Black and White Darkroom at The Darkroom

This intermediate course is available after the successful completion of DPD01 (Intro to Black and White Darkroom), or for those already possessing a basic knowledge of darkroom developing and printing processes. This intensive course provides students with an opportunity to develop advanced techniques utilised in the making of fine art prints. You will learn and apply a combination of different printing techniques including split-grade printing using multi-grade filters, fogging techniques, and dodging and burning both by hand and with home-made tools. In addition, you will learn a system of layering in order to create different tonalities across your images.

Our workshops are designed with a limited number of spaces in order to ensure that each participant receives valuable one-to-one attention from the tutor and enjoys their time at The Darkroom.

Duration: Four weeks (Wednesdays) 6.30pm to 9.30pm.

Workshop | Introduction to Black and White Darkroom at The Darkroom

The class runs for four weeks. Throughout this course you will learn darkroom safety, the use of equipment, and the proper way to mix chemicals. In addition, you will learn to create photograms; to develop and store black and white film; to make contact sheets and test prints; to print your own images using multi-grade filters; and to produce high-quality black and white prints. The Dark Room will provide all chemicals needed for the duration of the course as well as photo paper during the first two weeks. For the duration of this course, we can supply 35mm SLR cameras with a fully refundable deposit.

Our workshops are designed with a limited number of spaces in order to ensure that each participant receives valuable one-to-one attention from the tutor and enjoys their time at The Darkroom.

Duration: Four weeks (Mondays) 6.30pm to 9.30pm.

Workshop | Introduction to Plein Air – Dave West, Artform

Date: 7th June – 9th June 2023
Medium: Oil Paint & Drawing
Participants: Maximum 9
Course level: The course is suitable for all levels, plein air beginners particularly welcome

The course will explore the seaside landscape of the local area and how we can create quick and effective paintings.
Each day will follow a similar structure with a studio based session in the morning where Dave will cover the fundamentals of plein-air painting covering aspects of theory such as choosing a subject, composition, value structures in addition to more practical things like how to paint specific things like skies, trees, mixing colours and how to layer your painting to create quick and effective oil sketches.
Each afternoon we will then go outside where Dave will do quick demonstrations of various subjects allowing participants time to tackle the same subjects themselves. This course is suitable for anyone that paints regularly and is comfortable with the basics of oil painting but really wants to tackle the tricky practice of plain-air painting
For information about artist and tutor Dave West please visit @davewestart.
* The course takes place in Artform modern light-filled seaside studio with 24hr access for each visiting artist, and its beautiful coastal surroundings, and runs from 11am to 5pm on the first day and from 10am to 4pm on the subsequent days. Cost does not include accommodation, on request Artform offers artist accommodation options. Details on art materials and safety will be provided after signing up to the course.
For further courses, artist accommodation and art course voucher please visit www.artform.ie.

Workshop | Towards Abstraction: a Process-Based course with Focus on Materials and Play – Julie Cusack, Artform

Course Date:  19th – 22th June 2023
Medium: Graphite, charcoal, acrylic paint
Participants: Maximum 9
Course level: Beginners to Advanced

This course will provide an immersive four days of play and exploration. Using  a variety of subjects including the local coastal landscape, we will spend two days drawing and sketching followed by two days of painting. It is suitable for those with an interest in semi-abstract or abstract expressionist work.
Drawing and painting exercises will range from observational to experimental. The emphasis will be on responding to materials in an intuitive and playful way and building confidence in approaching drawing and painting.
The course will be of particular benefit to artists returning to a practice after a break; artists looking to develop or introduce new ways to generate work or visual research; those who simply wish to explore painting and drawing for the first time.
We will work on various surfaces including paper and wood , using a large variety of drawing and water-based material.
To learn about artist and tutor Julie Cusack please visit @julie.cusack.

*The course takes place in Artform modern light-filled seaside studio with 24hr access for each visiting artist, and its beautiful seaside surroundings, and runs from 11am to 5pm on the first day and from 10am to 4pm on the subsequent days. Cost does not include accommodation, on request Artform offers artist accommodation options. Details on art materials and safety will be provided after signing up to the course.

For further courses, artist accommodation and art course gift vouchers please visit www.artform.ie.

Workshop | Painting from Observation – Aidan Crotty, Artform

Course Date: 12th – 14th June 2023
Medium: Oils, artists working in acrylics also welcome
Participants: Maximum 10
Course level: Beginners to Advanced

In this three-day workshop we will be investigating different strategies in observational painting. We will examine how to plan and execute a painting in a natural and logical process, taking our paintings through systems of layer building over a period of days. Informed by our visible surroundings within the landscape and on still life at Artform studios, Aidan will work alongside participants in order to impart his experiences through demonstration and discussion.

Aspects such as surface and ground, subject and environment, measuring and scaling, palette and methods of paint application will be our main focus over this course.

For further information on artist and tutor Aidan Crotty please visit @_aidancrotty_.

* The course takes place in Artform modern light-filled seaside studio with 24hr access for each visiting artist, and runs from 11am to 5pm on the first day and from 10am to 4pm on the subsequent days. Cost does not include accommodation, on request Artform offers artist accommodation options. Details on art materials and safety will be provided after signing up to the course.

For further courses, art gift vouchers and artist accommodation please visit www.artform.ie.

Workshop | The Fundamentals of Drawing – Alan Clarke, Artform

Date:  12th – 14th May 2023
Artist: Alan Clarke
Medium: Basic Drawing Materials
Participants: Maximum 10
Course level: Intermediate; all levels welcome – artists with some drawing experience will benefit the most

Drawing is the foundation of all representational art. This intensive three day course will give participants an overview of the fundamentals of drawing, including preparation and best use of materials, line-work/mark-making, form, tone, composition and perspective. Drawing from live models and objects, students will be given a framework to develop a mode of drawing that is accurate and stylish, and will enable them to be more focused and productive with drawing practice that is undertaken in their own time. The course can be taken on its own or as preparation for Alan’s figure sculpting course.

For information on artist and tutor Alan Clarke please visit @mralanclarke.

* The course takes place in Artform modern light-filled seaside studio with 24hr access for each visiting artist, and runs from 11am to 5pm on the first day and from 10am to 4pm on the subsequent days. Cost does not include accommodation, on request Artform offers artist accommodation options. Details on art materials and safety will be provided after signing up to the course.

For further courses, art gift vouchers and artist accommodation please visit www.artform.ie.

Workshop | Art Courses by the Sea from Artform Dunmore East

Artform School of Art offers residential artist-led art workshops and masterclasses in the beautiful coastal village of Dunmore East, co. Waterford.

Our in-studio and plein air courses for all levels of skill in a variety of styles and media run from 2-5 days. They are hosted by some of Irish leading artists including Eamon Colman, Michael Wann, PJ Lynch, Alan Clarke, Tony Robinson, Julie Cusack, Maurice Quillinan, John Short, Mary O’Connor, Aidan Crotty, Gabhann Dunne, Dave West, Shevaun Doherty, Steve Browning, Neal Greig, James Horan, Brian Smyth, Zsolt Basti, Salvatore of Lucan, Bridget Flannery and others.

The courses take place in Artform modern light-filled seaside studio with 24hr access for each visiting artist and around the beautiful coastal village of Dunmore East, with artist accommodation and options for artists’ non-painting partners.

For information on full selection of courses, artist accommodation and art course gift vouchers please visit www.artform.ie.

Workshop | Wild Dye Days 2 Spring 2023 with Gabrielle-mary Bishop

Wild Dye Days 2 is the follow on course to Wild Dye Days 1. The Friday workshops start from 10th February and run for 4 weeks.

The course further explores the world of natural colour. We work with ancient dye plants such as madder root, woad and indigo and also minerals and metal oxides to make medieval oak gall, pomegranate and willow herb inks.

Workshop | Wild Dye Days 1 Spring 2023 with Gabrielle-mary Bishop

The Wednesday workshops start from 8th February and run for 4 weeks. The course is an introduction to natural dye and ink making using materials that are readily available from our kitchens, gardens and countryside.

It covers how to set up a natural dye kitchen, what fabrics to use and how to prepare them. Each week focuses on a different dye material and dye technique.

Special emphasis is on exploring the range and quality of natural dye colours and the plants, trees, lichens and seaweeds that they come from. The dye materials can be used in the printing process and as inspiration for drawings, paintings, patterns and designs.

By the end of the course we have a collection of natural dye samples – Spring colour, a record of time and place.

The dye sessions take place in the kitchens and garden at Daylight Studios.

Workshop | Beginning with Oils with Sinead Lawless

On this course, Sinead shares her process of starting a still life painting in oil paint. Sinead’s main focus is helping her students to understand the different qualities of their materials e.g. how to mix colours consistently, different ways to apply paint, and how to create texture. Becoming comfortable with the medium of oils is the goal and subsequently exploring the different ways this medium can be used and enjoyed.

February 13th, 20th, 27th, March 6th

March 13th, 20th, 27th (3 weeks €120)

Workshop | Experiment with Monoprinting at Limerick Printmakers

This course is ideal for complete beginners to printmaking, artists seeking to use their existing skills in a new way, printmakers seeking to experiment with a non-toxic, tactile process, & anyone who would like to try something fun and new that could then be continued at home with a few basic tools.

Monoprinting is a low tech form of printmaking technique that involves applying ink to the surface of a smooth plate to create images.
With simplicity comes freedom!
The beauty of monoprints is that the application of ink can result in many different effects & results & the process has a very painterly, experimental quality to it.
Unlike other forms of printmaking, each monoprint is entirely unique.
During this engaging one-day course, tutor Áine Finnegan will guide participants through several ink application techniques.

The course will teach different monoprint techniques & styles including:

  • Additive -Drawing directly/ working into an inked surface using a range of tools to create different marks before printing.
  • Subtractive – Applying a sheet of paper over the inked plate and making marks on the back of the piece of paper.
    The pressure will lift ink from the acrylic sheet to leave an image of what you have drawn on your paper.
  • Painting with Ink – Directly onto a clean plate before printing over another printed background.
  • Stencils – Allows for certain areas to remain clear or to be filled in with other colours/ mark-making.
  • Textured monoprints – Incorporating the use of textured surfaces such as papers, feathers etc. into your prints.

Each participant can experiment with a combination of techniques and will finish the course with a selection of their own handmade prints.
Please note that in order to maximise the learning opportunities within this one-day course, all plates supplied/ created will be A4 or smaller.
Use of all tools and materials are included in the course fee and we encourage participants to bring any collages/ sketches/ ideas that they may like to work from with them on the day.

Áine Finnegan is a printmaker and designer working in the field of visual communication. A past joint recipient of LP’ Graduate Printmaking Bursary, her work features in multiple private collections.

Workshop | Step-by-Step Silkscreen at Limerick Printmakers

LP’s Step-by-Step Silkscreen weekend course is a comprehensive introduction to learning the process of silkscreen. Participants will learn in a practical way, completing each step themselves & also learning through observing others in the group, with full tutor support.
The course level is aimed both at beginners & those who are eager to refresh their existing silkscreen skills.

Silkscreen is a hugely popular print method as it’s so versatile.
It’s a print method that can encompass so much – text, photographic imagery, sketches and mark–making, plus many layers of colour.
Silkscreen produces clean, punchy images with a strong graphic quality and more refined, delicate images. Details stay crisp and sharp while colour pops off the page. LP’ weekend course is ideal for those eager to get to grips with the basics of silkscreen in order to worktowards creating their own printed t’s, totes, photographs, posters, flyers & artwork.
Step-by-Step Silkscreen will cover:

  • Image selection and conversion of imagery using common software
  • How to transfer images to screen & exposure of screens
  • Using equipment safely
  • Printing: Registration of image, ink & paper selection, printing technique,
    trouble shooting, creating two colour prints
  • Cleaning/ maintenance of screens

All material costs are included in the course fee.

Derek O’ Sullivan is an artist, printmaker, technician and tutor.
He has taught with LP for many years and is an expert on all things silkscreen related.

Workshop | Body/Landscape Workshop with Frank van de Ven

An intensive 7-day workshop based at An Sanctóir, Ballydehob, Co. Cork, Ireland, With Frank van de Ven

Body Weather – Body Landscape.  Body Weather is a comprehensive training and performance practice that investigates the intersections of bodies and their environments.  Bodies are not conceived of as fixed entities but as constantly changing through an infinite and complex system of processes occurring in and outside of these bodies.  Taking Body Weather into the landscape the aim is to explore and develop consciousness of the body as an ever-evolving landscape within a greater surrounding landscape.

Frank van de Ven is a dancer and choreographer who spent his formative years in Japan working with Min Tanaka and the Maijuku Performance Company. In 1993, with Katerina Bakatsaki, he founded Body Weather Amsterdam, a platform for training and performance.

Workshop | Portrait Painting in Oil at Art Academy Ireland

Portrait Painting in Oil Workshop for Adults | All levels | Sat & Sun 10am – 4pm | Feb 4th & 5th 2023 | Rathmines, Dublin 6

240.00

Book online HERE

6 in stock

Unlock your Inner Artist This Feb 2023 at Art Academy Ireland

Introduction to Portrait Painting from the printed reference (provided) in Oil Paint Weekend Workshop for Adults. Taught by artist Sheila Flaherty. All levels welcome.

TIME and DURATION:

10am -4pm both days with an hour for lunch.

The price of tuition does not include materials. The materials list is sent on booking.

Group limited to max 10 artists

Book Online www.artacademy.ie/shop

HERE

Follow Art Academy Ireland on Instagram

Workshop | Life Drawing at Wesley House Ranelagh

Life Drawing | Tuesday evenings | February & March 2023 | Wesley House | Ranelagh

140.00

7 in stock

Tuesday evenings 7.30-9.30pm starting Feb 21st 2023 Wesley House, Ranelagh, Leeson Park,

Feb 21st

Feb 28th

March 7th

March 14th

March 21th

Unlock you inner artist over 5 weeks of life drawing at Art Academy Ireland. Starting Feb 21st every Tuesday evening, between 7.30pm – 9.30pm in Wesley House, Ranelagh.

Online Bookings and details HERE

Studios

Studio Vacancy | IPUT/RHA at Wilton Park Studios

Applications have now opened for all three studio spaces at Wilton Park Studios, Dublin 2.
The application deadline is the 20th of March 2023, at 5 pm sharp. Applicants MUST clearly outline “Wilton Park Studios” within their application.

The three studios will be offered on an eight-month basis to three artists from May to December 2023. Each studio space has good natural daylight and there are kitchen facilities available. The studios have working hour access from 8am to 6pm, Monday to Friday and are non-residential.

These studios are sponsored by IPUT. There is no monthly rent and all heat and utility costs are included.

Artists wishing to be considered should apply by completing the application form on the RHA website: https://rhagallery.ie/residencies-awards/residency-award-category/iput-rha-wilton-park-studios-residency/ ALTERNATIVELY email An...@rhagallery.ie with your submission.

Applications should include:

• Current CV (2 pages maximum);
• Covering letter detailing the candidate’s intentions for the allocated period in the studio including an artist statement and work plan, giving details of what materials and processes they use and any other requirements they have;
• Six images of their work; including a list of images submitted clearly marked with the title of the piece, the medium and the dimensions. Video artists can include on this list the web addresses (e.g. YouTube or Vimeo) to access your work.

For Sale / Wanted / Other

Wanted | Volunteer Co-Directors at 126 Artist-Run Gallery and Studios (Unpaid)

*Voluntary roles available*

126 Artist-Run Gallery & Studios is currently seeking voluntary Co-Directors to join the 126 team for a two year term inclusive of a 6-month probationary and learning period. This is a unique leadership position and open for all to apply.

Deadline: 12th of February.

Applicants must be dedicated to the visual arts sector, supporting artists and to the artist-run ethos. Individuals will need to be passionate about working in an arts organisation, have or be keen to develop new skills in arts administration, project management, financial management, curatorial skills, installation, education, archiving and the many roles directors must fill.

At present, we are particularly interested in recruiting candidates with an interest in financial management and grant applications but all are welcome to apply. 126 artist-run gallery is committed to offering equality of opportunity to all applicants irrespective of gender, race, civil status, family status, sexual orientation, religion, age, disability or indigenous ethnicity.

All applicants are required to be based in Galway City and commit to a weekly Board meeting on regular days. Applicants must also commit to attending most if not all programmes, events and exhibition previews. Board members are required to invigilate and act as a representative of 126 during their time on the board.

Although previous experience in all areas is not essential, interested candidates are encouraged to review and consider the director criteria when making their applications.

TO APPLY:
Email conta...@gmail.com with your CV and a short statement (200 words) outlining your interest and suitability for this role. Please make sure to include ‘CO-DIRECTOR ROLE’ in the email subject line.

For more information on Co-Directorship visit: https://126gallery.com/become-a-co-director/

If you have any questions on this opportunity, don’t hesitate to contact 126 via email. We look forward to hearing from you!

We recommend that you check all eligibility criteria carefully. As the All Ireland representative body we aim to advertise opportunities available to all artists. But with new restrictions, some opportunities may only be available to artists in the Republic of Ireland, the EU or specifically in Northern Ireland or the UK.
Facebook Facebook
Twitter Twitter
Website Website
Email Email
Instagram Instagram
NI Website NI Website
Principal Funders
Corporate Sponsors
International Memberships

GDPR Compliance

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to VAI's eBulletin service which provides information on VAI, Visual Arts News, Jobs, Opportunities, Exhibitions, and Events. The eBulletin is a double opt-in service, which means that you confirmed to us that you wished to receive these updates. The date on which you confirmed your subscription is on file and can be provided to you upon request. If you wish to update your subscription or stop receiving these emails from us, please use the following links

Visual Artists Ireland's Privacy Policy provides a full understanding of how we manage your data as part of our service delivery to you.

Visual Artists Ireland - Ealaíontóirí Radharcacha Éire

Head Office
Windmill View House,
Oliver Bond Street,
Dublin 8.
Tel: +353 (0)1 672 9488
Fax: +353 (0)1 672 9482
Email: in...@visualartists.ie

Northern Ireland Office
109 - 113 Royal Avenue,
Belfast, BT1 1FF
Email: in...@visualartists-ni.org

Registered Charity No. CHY 9629

Patron: Michael D. Higgins
PRESIDENT OF IRELAND

Copyright © 2023 Visual Artists Ireland, All rights reserved.

Update subscription preferences
Unsubscribe
الرد على الكل
رد على الكاتب