Re: UPDATES, Meeting to Finalize Demands Thurs 8pm

May Lee Watase

Nov 3, 2011, 2:12:06 AM11/3/11
to Lena Solow, Erin R O'Donnell, Claire A Dougherty, Morgan Hill, Christina Pham, Emma B Pattiz, Manon Lefevre, Erin L Newport, Lena Solow, Jillian Moreno, Howe Pearson, Nikolas Owens, Emma G Compton, Elsa Hardy, mica...@gmail.com, Zachary Kirwood, Coady R Johnson, Ryan G Katz, Eliana Theodorou, Aviva Markowitz, Daniel L Plafker, Ismael R Coleman, Nathan Mondschein, Morgan Ross, Andrew J Martin, Hope Campbell Gustafson, Gemma Doll-Grossman, Rachel L Weisberg, Miriam Berger, Rachel Levenson, Ariella B Axelbank, Evan L Weber, Anwar Batte, Zachary I Steinman, Zachary Malter, Alexander A Hirsch, Chloe E Holden, Sheryl Rivascabreja, Isabella M Banks, Marlen Delgado, Noor Tell, Samuel Tureff, Kevin Walters, Lennox Byer, Francesca Buzzi, Aaron Marcus, Adin S Vaewsorn, Jessica Witt, Janika A Oza, Alma N Sanchez-Eppler, Evita E Rodriguez, Andrew L Malkin, Ho-Jae Cha, Tae Kyung Kim, Jae-Whan Keum, Michaela F Miller, Abel A Sandoval, Sophia G Massey, Cesar A Chavez, Marjorie D Dodson, John Snyder, Andrew C Pezzullo, Mariama S Eversley, William J Curran-Groome, Isabelle A Gauthier, Jeff Goetz, Jeffrey D Berman, Ross M Levin, Virgil B Taylor, Polina L Mamut, Caleb Green, James M Kwon, Peter O Myers, Caitlin Palmer, Hailey M Sowden, Esi A Quagrainie, Maika K Nagata, Oluwaremilekun O Ojurongbe, Julia N Benedith, Jeremy Keim-Shenk, Michael B Migiel-Schwartz, Katherine Cohen, Abby Spector, Sarah Shachat, Chelsea A Goldsmith, Nathaniel Draper, Maxwell A Hellmann, Cathryn Herlihey, Julia Jonas-Day, Julia Michaels, Samuel Douglas, Elena P Rein, Natasha R Phillips, Haley Baron, Nathan Mackenzie, Julia Fram, Rhyan Toledo, Elizabeth Simon, Deborah Cho, Steven Le, Naadu Bentsi-Enchill, Noa Borkan, Kathlyn Pattillo, Emma L Leonard, Bennett T Sluis, Alexander A Nassikas, Alexander H Japko, Iman C Bright, Rishi Shah, stu...@tmercy.com, Elaine Chan, AhDream Smith, Cheryl Walker, Meggie McGuire, Leonid Liu, Oliver L James, Ana C Castro, Jodi D Almengor, Rebecca C Wilton, Sarah P Cassel, Katherine P Enright, Katlyn Krista Batuigas, Joyous Bey, Maria C Meara-Bainbridge, Shira Engel, Avital L Robbins, Noah Heau, students...@googlegroups.com, Paul Blasenheim
Info on the new working group: Communication Group

As a result of the reportback today, some working groups have been shifted around. Now we have the "Communication Group," whose primary aim is internal communication with staff members at Wesleyan (including ABM, Bon Appetit, Clerical Staff, Physical Plant, P-Safe, etc). The translation working group is now part of the Communication Group. The Communication Group hopes to facilitate the dissemination of important information to staff as well as to initiate a dialogue that includes staff members' voices on campus. For those of you who would like to get involved or were part of the formation of this working group and would like to be added to the email list, please contact May Lee at mwa...@wesleyan.edu

*There is not a definite meeting happening at Friday at 7am in the breakrooms. We are still in the process of discussing the best way to speak/meet with staff.

On Thu, Nov 3, 2011 at 2:09 AM, Lena Solow <lso...@wesleyan.edu> wrote:
Forgot Paul!

-Lena

On Thu, Nov 3, 2011 at 2:07 AM, Lena Solow <lso...@wesleyan.edu> wrote:
Hey everyone! Thanks so much for all of your great ideas, energy, and patience for the past few days.  For detailed minutes of tonight’s meeting (thanks Chloe!) see the attached document. For a quick run down of the major points from tonight and next steps, see below.

Child Care - Thurs and Fri 8am-4pm at Buttonwood (905 Main St). Sign up here, or contact Aviva (amark...@wesleyan.edu , 802 279 2219) or just show up. The more volunteers the better!

Meeting Thursday 8pm Exley lobby to finalize demands. We’ll break into groups so that everyone’s voice can be heard and then come together to solidify the final draft. (First draft below)

Join the Google Group. Please reply all to this email with any updates even if you post in the Google Group.

Listed below are working groups and main contacts. If you want to get involved but aren’t sure how, here’s who to contact!

GROUP CONTACTS/BOTTOMLINERS please reply all with updates from your group and any questions you have or help you need. Per our discussion of working group autonomy, we didn’t want to define your group’s goals and needs, so let us know what’s up!

NEW! COMMUNICATION AND TRANSLATION (email coming with deets!)

Nick (npetrie@wes), Alma (asanch...@wesleyan.edu), and May Lee (mwa...@wesleyan.edu)

MEDIA

Natasha Phillips (nrphi...@wesleyan.edu , 412 576 0714), Virgil Taylor (vta...@wesleyan.edu 415 233 3470)

LAUNDRY/SHOWERS

Caleb Green (czg...@wesleyan.edu)

FOOD

Marj Dodson (mdo...@wesleyan.edu 340 643 8742)

Chelsea (cagol...@wesleyan.edu)

CHILDCARE

Cathryn (cher...@wesleyan.edu 815 703 1717) Aviva (amark...@wesleyan.edu)

DEMANDS

Morgan (mr...@wesleyan.edu 917 916 7522) Ryan (rk...@wesleyan.edu) Evan (ewe...@wesleyan.edu 808 224 0644)

DRAFT OF DEMANDS

Note: this is an abbreviated summary of the content the demands group discussed. We welcome input/challenges/ideas no matter how big or small. What can we change about the content, language, etc? What do you think is being left out? Please think about this and come to the meeting Thursday ready to discuss.

1) The university should provide free access to laundry, showers, shelter, food, and childcare, and that this be made university policy for future situations of this variety.

2) The university should provide increased communication and transparency to all members of the Wesleyan community on decisions being made during a time of crisis. This includes multi-lingual announcements and the presentation of all necessary information.

3) Non-faculty staff be compensated for time lost during a crisis. It should also not require the use of sick and personal days to obtain time off in these types of situations.

Thanks again so much for your hard work and patience.  We’ve already made an impact and will continue to do so. See you at 8pm!

-Lena and Paul

Paul Blasenheim

Nov 3, 2011, 5:31:41 PM11/3/11
to May Lee Watase, Lena Solow, Erin R O'Donnell, Claire A Dougherty, Morgan Hill, Christina Pham, Emma B Pattiz, Manon Lefevre, Erin L Newport, Lena Solow, Jillian Moreno, Howe Pearson, Nikolas Owens, Emma G Compton, Elsa Hardy, mica...@gmail.com, Zachary Kirwood, Coady R Johnson, Ryan G Katz, Eliana Theodorou, Aviva Markowitz, Daniel L Plafker, Ismael R Coleman, Nathan Mondschein, Morgan Ross, Andrew J Martin, Hope Campbell Gustafson, Gemma Doll-Grossman, Rachel L Weisberg, Miriam Berger, Rachel Levenson, Ariella B Axelbank, Evan L Weber, Anwar Batte, Zachary I Steinman, Zachary Malter, Alexander A Hirsch, Chloe E Holden, Sheryl Rivascabreja, Isabella M Banks, Marlen Delgado, Noor Tell, Samuel Tureff, Kevin Walters, Lennox Byer, Francesca Buzzi, Aaron Marcus, Adin S Vaewsorn, Jessica Witt, Janika A Oza, Alma N Sanchez-Eppler, Evita E Rodriguez, Andrew L Malkin, Ho-Jae Cha, Tae Kyung Kim, Jae-Whan Keum, Michaela F Miller, Abel A Sandoval, Sophia G Massey, Cesar A Chavez, Marjorie D Dodson, John Snyder, Andrew C Pezzullo, Mariama S Eversley, William J Curran-Groome, Isabelle A Gauthier, Jeff Goetz, Jeffrey D Berman, Ross M Levin, Virgil B Taylor, Polina L Mamut, Caleb Green, James M Kwon, Peter O Myers, Caitlin Palmer, Hailey M Sowden, Esi A Quagrainie, Maika K Nagata, Oluwaremilekun O Ojurongbe, Julia N Benedith, Jeremy Keim-Shenk, Michael B Migiel-Schwartz, Katherine Cohen, Abby Spector, Sarah Shachat, Chelsea A Goldsmith, Nathaniel Draper, Maxwell A Hellmann, Cathryn Herlihey, Julia Jonas-Day, Julia Michaels, Samuel Douglas, Elena P Rein, Natasha R Phillips, Haley Baron, Nathan Mackenzie, Julia Fram, Rhyan Toledo, Elizabeth Simon, Deborah Cho, Steven Le, Naadu Bentsi-Enchill, Noa Borkan, Kathlyn Pattillo, Emma L Leonard, Bennett T Sluis, Alexander A Nassikas, Alexander H Japko, Iman C Bright, Rishi Shah, stu...@tmercy.com, Elaine Chan, AhDream Smith, Cheryl Walker, Meggie McGuire, Leonid Liu, Oliver L James, Ana C Castro, Jodi D Almengor, Rebecca C Wilton, Sarah P Cassel, Katherine P Enright, Katlyn Krista Batuigas, Joyous Bey, Maria C Meara-Bainbridge, Shira Engel, Avital L Robbins, Noah Heau, students...@googlegroups.com
FOR TONIGHT!

Since we are breaking up into small groups, I thought it would be necessary to have folks ready to facilitate a few small group discussions.  Therefore, if anyone wants to volunteer to facilitate these talks, come to Sci Li TONIGHT AT 7:15PM, so we can have a dialogue about how best to make this happen, and to extend some facilitation tips.
Cool, hope to see facilitation volunteers then.
-Paul

"Our aim is not to conquer our opponents.  We want to win over our adversaries so that they become our allies."
-Henry Spira

Ariella Axelbank

Nov 3, 2011, 8:59:28 PM11/3/11
to Paul Blasenheim, May Lee Watase, Lena Solow, Erin R O'Donnell, Claire A Dougherty, Morgan Hill, Christina Pham, Emma B Pattiz, Manon Lefevre, Erin L Newport, Lena Solow, Jillian Moreno, Howe Pearson, Nikolas Owens, Emma G Compton, Elsa Hardy, mica...@gmail.com, Zachary Kirwood, Coady R Johnson, Ryan G Katz, Eliana Theodorou, Aviva Markowitz, Daniel L Plafker, Ismael R Coleman, Nathan Mondschein, Morgan Ross, Andrew J Martin, Hope Campbell Gustafson, Gemma Doll-Grossman, Rachel L Weisberg, Miriam Berger, Rachel Levenson, Evan L Weber, Anwar Batte, Zachary I Steinman, Zachary Malter, Alexander A Hirsch, Chloe E Holden, Sheryl Rivascabreja, Isabella M Banks, Marlen Delgado, Noor Tell, Samuel Tureff, Kevin Walters, Lennox Byer, Francesca Buzzi, Aaron Marcus, Adin S Vaewsorn, Jessica Witt, Janika A Oza, Alma N Sanchez-Eppler, Evita E Rodriguez, Andrew L Malkin, Ho-Jae Cha, Tae Kyung Kim, Jae-Whan Keum, Michaela F Miller, Abel A Sandoval, Sophia G Massey, Cesar A Chavez, Marjorie D Dodson, John Snyder, Andrew C Pezzullo, Mariama S Eversley, William J Curran-Groome, Isabelle A Gauthier, Jeff Goetz, Jeffrey D Berman, Ross M Levin, Virgil B Taylor, Polina L Mamut, Caleb Green, James M Kwon, Peter O Myers, Caitlin Palmer, Hailey M Sowden, Esi A Quagrainie, Maika K Nagata, Oluwaremilekun O Ojurongbe, Julia N Benedith, Jeremy Keim-Shenk, Michael B Migiel-Schwartz, Katherine Cohen, Abby Spector, Sarah Shachat, Chelsea A Goldsmith, Nathaniel Draper, Maxwell A Hellmann, Cathryn Herlihey, Julia Jonas-Day, Julia Michaels, Samuel Douglas, Elena P Rein, Natasha R Phillips, Haley Baron, Nathan Mackenzie, Julia Fram, Rhyan Toledo, Elizabeth Simon, Deborah Cho, Steven Le, Naadu Bentsi-Enchill, Noa Borkan, Kathlyn Pattillo, Emma L Leonard, Bennett T Sluis, Alexander A Nassikas, Alexander H Japko, Iman C Bright, Rishi Shah, stu...@tmercy.com, Elaine Chan, AhDream Smith, Cheryl Walker, Meggie McGuire, Leonid Liu, Oliver L James, Ana C Castro, Jodi D Almengor, Rebecca C Wilton, Sarah P Cassel, Katherine P Enright, Katlyn Krista Batuigas, Joyous Bey, Maria C Meara-Bainbridge, Shira Engel, Avital L Robbins, Noah Heau, students...@googlegroups.com
The Handbook of Policies and Procedures for Administrative Staff (from the Wes HR website).

The policy for late openings and emergency closings is listed on page 13.

Information about vacation days/sick days is on pages 5-6.

Emma G Compton

Nov 3, 2011, 11:36:53 PM11/3/11
to Ariella Axelbank, Paul Blasenheim, May Lee Watase, Lena Solow, Erin R O'Donnell, Claire A Dougherty, Morgan Hill, Christina Pham, Emma B Pattiz, Manon Lefevre, Erin L Newport, Lena Solow, Jillian Moreno, Howe Pearson, Nikolas Owens, Elsa Hardy, mica...@gmail.com, Zachary Kirwood, Coady R Johnson, Ryan G Katz, Eliana Theodorou, Aviva Markowitz, Daniel L Plafker, Ismael R Coleman, Nathan Mondschein, Morgan Ross, Andrew J Martin, Hope Campbell Gustafson, Gemma Doll-Grossman, Rachel L Weisberg, Miriam Berger, Rachel Levenson, Evan L Weber, Anwar Batte, Zachary I Steinman, Zachary Malter, Alexander A Hirsch, Chloe E Holden, Sheryl Rivascabreja, Isabella M Banks, Marlen Delgado, Noor Tell, Samuel Tureff, Kevin Walters, Lennox Byer, Francesca Buzzi, Aaron Marcus, Adin S Vaewsorn, Jessica Witt, Janika A Oza, Alma N Sanchez-Eppler, Evita E Rodriguez, Andrew L Malkin, Ho-Jae Cha, Tae Kyung Kim, Jae-Whan Keum, Michaela F Miller, Abel A Sandoval, Sophia G Massey, Cesar A Chavez, Marjorie D Dodson, John Snyder, Andrew C Pezzullo, Mariama S Eversley, William J Curran-Groome, Isabelle A Gauthier, Jeff Goetz, Jeffrey D Berman, Ross M Levin, Virgil B Taylor, Polina L Mamut, Caleb Green, James M Kwon, Peter O Myers, Caitlin Palmer, Hailey M Sowden, Esi A Quagrainie, Maika K Nagata, Oluwaremilekun O Ojurongbe, Julia N Benedith, Jeremy Keim-Shenk, Michael B Migiel-Schwartz, Katherine Cohen, Abby Spector, Sarah Shachat, Chelsea A Goldsmith, Nathaniel Draper, Maxwell A Hellmann, Cathryn Herlihey, Julia Jonas-Day, Julia Michaels, Samuel Douglas, Elena P Rein, Natasha R Phillips, Haley Baron, Nathan Mackenzie, Julia Fram, Rhyan Toledo, Elizabeth Simon, Deborah Cho, Steven Le, Naadu Bentsi-Enchill, Noa Borkan, Kathlyn Pattillo, Emma L Leonard, Bennett T Sluis, Alexander A Nassikas, Alexander H Japko, Iman C Bright, Rishi Shah, stu...@tmercy.com, Elaine Chan, AhDream Smith, Cheryl Walker, Meggie McGuire, Leonid Liu, Oliver L James, Ana C Castro, Jodi D Almengor, Rebecca C Wilton, Sarah P Cassel, Katherine P Enright, Katlyn Krista Batuigas, Joyous Bey, Maria C Meara-Bainbridge, Shira Engel, Avital L Robbins, Noah Heau, students...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone!

This is just an overview of some of the major points that some of the amb staff brought up when isabel and I met with them this afternoon. If anyone has questions feel free to email me!

1. Overall the staff was very appreciative of the services (food,showers,childcare) that we have organized! There didn't seem to be a real need for any other physical supplies at this moment.

2.many people expressed that basic things were not provided to them when they arrived to work during the crisis. For example, some staff were scheduled to clean in houses without electricity but were not provided with flashlights to see or ways to clean without electricity. All described that the breakrooms did not have power on Monday and Tuesday when they came in to work.

3. The. Specific conversation about demands kind of blurred into a greater conversation about worker rights and mistreatment. The overall feeling, both for this specific situation and in general, was that staff wanted the same rights/privilidges as other faculty (ie professors, etc.) Members. A major concern was that on days like the blackout days or in general on days with harsh winter weather, abm staff felt that they needed to come in no matter what for fear of losing their jobs, and that coming in late to work was not only dangerous for job security but also complicated due to loss of pay (staff had to choose between safety and money). Some staff members also expressed that the university does not pressure abm as a company to provide good working conditions or job stability, something thay wesleyan as the costumer could make a prerequisite to contract approval with abm.

4. All of the staff that was at the meeting highly supported having another more formal meeting to discuss in specifics demands, issues, etc. But unanimously thought that this meeting should include members from all staff groups (abm, bon apettite, physical plant, clerical, etc. ). Best meeting times for abm staff would be Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday mornings at 7 am - both because that is the overlap betwen day and night shifts and because it is before the start of generally very busy days for the staff.

5. Staff informed us that their contract (specifically abm but I'm not sure about the other staff groups) is up for review in december so urgency would be good!!

I believe that is most of what we spoke about but isabel add on to this if I left things out!!

Natasha R Phillips

Nov 4, 2011, 1:15:34 AM11/4/11
to Emma G Compton, Ariella Axelbank, Paul Blasenheim, May Lee Watase, Lena Solow, Erin R O'Donnell, Claire A Dougherty, Morgan Hill, Christina Pham, Emma B Pattiz, Manon Lefevre, Erin L Newport, Lena Solow, Jillian Moreno, Howe Pearson, Nikolas Owens, Elsa Hardy, mica...@gmail.com, Zachary Kirwood, Coady R Johnson, Ryan G Katz, Eliana Theodorou, Aviva Markowitz, Daniel L Plafker, Ismael R Coleman, Nathan Mondschein, Morgan Ross, Andrew J Martin, Hope Campbell Gustafson, Gemma Doll-Grossman, Rachel L Weisberg, Miriam Berger, Rachel Levenson, Evan L Weber, Anwar Batte, Zachary I Steinman, Zachary Malter, Alexander A Hirsch, Chloe E Holden, Sheryl Rivascabreja, Isabella M Banks, Marlen Delgado, Noor Tell, Samuel Tureff, Kevin Walters, Lennox Byer, Francesca Buzzi, Aaron Marcus, Adin S Vaewsorn, Jessica Witt, Janika A Oza, Alma N Sanchez-Eppler, Evita E Rodriguez, Andrew L Malkin, Ho-Jae Cha, Tae Kyung Kim, Jae-Whan Keum, Michaela F Miller, Abel A Sandoval, Sophia G Massey, Cesar A Chavez, Marjorie D Dodson, John Snyder, Andrew C Pezzullo, Mariama S Eversley, William J Curran-Groome, Isabelle A Gauthier, Jeff Goetz, Jeffrey D Berman, Ross M Levin, Virgil B Taylor, Polina L Mamut, Caleb Green, James M Kwon, Peter O Myers, Caitlin Palmer, Hailey M Sowden, Esi A Quagrainie, Maika K Nagata, Oluwaremilekun O Ojurongbe, Julia N Benedith, Jeremy Keim-Shenk, Michael B Migiel-Schwartz, Katherine Cohen, Abby Spector, Sarah Shachat, Chelsea A Goldsmith, Nathaniel Draper, Maxwell A Hellmann, Cathryn Herlihey, Julia Jonas-Day, Julia Michaels, Samuel Douglas, Elena P Rein, Haley Baron, Nathan Mackenzie, Julia Fram, Rhyan Toledo, Elizabeth Simon, Deborah Cho, Steven Le, Naadu Bentsi-Enchill, Noa Borkan, Kathlyn Pattillo, Emma L Leonard, Bennett T Sluis, Alexander A Nassikas, Alexander H Japko, Iman C Bright, Rishi Shah, stu...@tmercy.com, Elaine Chan, AhDream Smith, Cheryl Walker, Meggie McGuire, Leonid Liu, Oliver L James, Ana C Castro, Jodi D Almengor, Rebecca C Wilton, Sarah P Cassel, Katherine P Enright, Katlyn Krista Batuigas, Joyous Bey, Maria C Meara-Bainbridge, Shira Engel, Avital L Robbins, Noah Heau, students...@googlegroups.com
Hey guys,

If you have any time over Parents' Weekend please sign up at this link https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AlI8Wa8PfNPudGdfdFZaMVdfM0pxczdpaFRHbE1MV3c to work at the Student Activities Fair or pass out fliers at the football game.

Thanks!
Natasha

Natasha R Phillips

Nov 4, 2011, 3:24:34 PM11/4/11
[...]
Hey everyone,

I was using the wrong settings on the google doc, which wasn't allowing people to edit the doc.  But everything should work now...so sign up!

Natasha