Google hangout with Olivier about the Snake problem set

Daniel Kamalic (SCC13 Commodity Track Lead)

Nov 19, 2013, 2:47:29 PM11/19/13
to student-cluste...@googlegroups.com, Olivier Mesnard
Please go to this Google Plus hangout and ask Olivier any questions you would like, in TEXT.

Daniel Kamalic (SCC13 Commodity Track Lead)

Nov 19, 2013, 4:57:15 PM11/19/13
to student-cluste...@googlegroups.com, Olivier Mesnard
Here is the chat log -- I am missing the very beginning (does someone have it)?  I think that the only thing missing is where someone asked what version to use, and someone asked about GPU support, and then it went from there.

Olivier Mesnard	3:45 PM
The OpenFOAM case is not running on GPU.

me	3:45 PM
is there a way to get the transcript for this entire conversation? Missed the first bit

Olivier Mesnard	3:45 PM
Dan Kamalic just made this video call public.

John Wili	2:45 PM
any gay here ?
To list all available commands enter "/?".
John Wili left group chat.
Jason Kincl joined group chat.
Jason Kincl left group chat.
Lukaschko Chania joined group chat.
Clint Shuman joined group chat.
Rajdeep Trilokekar joined group chat.
ahmed sayed joined group chat.
Lukaschko Chania left group chat.
ahmed sayed left group chat.
Dominik Thoennes joined group chat.
‫محمد على‬‎ joined group chat.
‫محمد على‬‎ left group chat.
Austin Longo joined group chat.
Rajdeep Trilokekar left group chat.
Rajdeep Trilokekar joined group chat.
Sean Kerr joined group chat.
Rory Fournier joined group chat.
Clint Shuman left group chat.

Rajdeep Trilokekar	3:12 PM
question: how will this hangout work?
are we currently going?

Dan Kamalic	3:13 PM
(Jason) No I believe how Daniel was wanting this to go was you guys would ask questions and when Veronica gets here she will moderate the discussion

Rajdeep Trilokekar	3:13 PM
understood
Rajdeep Trilokekar left group chat.

Dominik Thoennes	3:17 PM
which version of OpenFOAM should we use for the runs? the newest is 2.2.x but in the files it says 2.1.1
Nate Schelm joined group chat.

Sean Kerr	3:24 PM
We were asked to use the chat feature to ask questions.
Nate Schelm left group chat.
‫نظم الحضاره‬‎ joined group chat.

نظم الحضاره‎	3:29 PM
hello

Sean Kerr	3:30 PM
Hi there
Rajdeep Trilokekar joined group chat.

نظم الحضاره‎	3:30 PM
how are you

Sean Kerr	3:30 PM
Not too bad. Yourself?
‫نظم الحضاره‬‎ left group chat.
Dan Kamalic left group chat.
Dan Kamalic joined group chat.

Dan Kamalic	3:35 PM
Hi Everyone
Rajdeep Trilokekar left group chat.
Rajdeep Trilokekar joined group chat.

Dan Kamalic	3:36 PM
We lost the Google Chat history -- can someone paste it all in again?

Sean Kerr	3:37 PM
There's really not much. Rajdeep Trilokekar
15:13
question: how will this hangout work?
are we currently going?
Dan Kamalic
15:13
(Jason) No I believe how Daniel was wanting this to go was you guys would ask questions and when Veronica gets here she will moderate the discussion
Rajdeep Trilokekar
15:14
understood
Rajdeep Trilokekar left group chat.
Dominik Thoennes
15:17
which version of OpenFOAM should we use for the runs? the newest is 2.2.x but in the files it says 2.1.1
Nate Schelm joined group chat.
me
15:24
We were asked to use the chat feature to ask questions.
Nate Schelm left group chat.
‫نظم الحضاره‬‎ joined group chat.
نظم الحضاره‎
15:29
hello
me
15:30
Hi there
Rajdeep Trilokekar joined group chat.
نظم الحضاره‎
15:30
how are you
me
15:30
Not too bad. Yourself?
‫نظم الحضاره‬‎ left group chat.
Dan Kamalic left group chat.
Dan Kamalic joined group chat.
Dan Kamalic
15:35
Hi Everyone
Rajdeep Trilokekar left group chat.
Rajdeep Trilokekar joined group chat.
Dan Kamalic
15:36
We lost the Google Chat history -- can someone paste it all in again?

me	3:37 PM
Hi Dan, is Veronica around?
Dan Kamalic left group chat.
Dan Kamalic joined group chat.
Verónica Vergara Larrea joined group chat.

me	3:38 PM
Hello Veronica.

Verónica Vergara Larrea 3:38 PM
Hi Olivier!
Thanks for helping out with this hangout

me	3:39 PM
No problem.

Verónica Vergara Larrea 3:39 PM
(we r having wifi issues from time, if the connection drops please stay tuned
Rajdeep Trilokekar left group chat.

Verónica Vergara Larrea 3:41 PM
ok, we r off wifi now
could someone repost the questions?

me	3:42 PM
The only question I see is which version of OpenFOAM to use.

Verónica Vergara Larrea 3:43 PM
ok great

me	3:43 PM
And I think it would be great if they use the newest one. v-2.2.2

Sean Kerr	3:43 PM
Oh. Sorry. we're also curious if you've anything to say about running on GPUs
Rajdeep Trilokekar joined group chat.
Daniel Miller joined group chat.

me	3:45 PM
The OpenFOAM case is not running on GPU.

Daniel Miller	3:45 PM
is there a way to get the transcript for this entire conversation? Missed the first bit

Verónica Vergara Larrea	3:46 PM
to add to that, if you are able to get OpenFOAM working with your GPU that is fine. But it is the team's responsibility to verify the results

Rajdeep Trilokekar	3:47 PM
so there is no GPU/CUDA based branch of OpenFOAM? (verification question)

Verónica Vergara Larrea	3:47 PM
This Q&A session will last until 2:30pm MT

me	3:48 PM
Thank you!

Olivier Mesnard	3:48 PM
In my mind, there is no open source package that enables OpenFOAM to run on GPUs.
Dan Kamalic left group chat.

Rajdeep Trilokekar	3:49 PM
understood, thanks
Dan Kamalic joined group chat.

Verónica Vergara Larrea	3:50 PM
Any other questions for Olivier?

me	3:50 PM
Can you comment on SpeedIT as a means to enable GPU acceleration within OpenFOAM

Olivier Mesnard	3:51 PM
SpeedIT is a library that allows you to run OpenFOAM on one single GPU. But it requires a license.

Verónica Vergara Larrea	3:51 PM
if you get it working and can find a trial-version you are welcome to try it and use it

Sean Kerr	3:52 PM
Can you comment on the pros and cons of the different decomposition methods?

Rajdeep Trilokekar	3:52 PM
triel versions work even if they are closed source?
*trial

Olivier Mesnard	3:52 PM
I have never tried it, so I cannot really help for this.

Rajdeep Trilokekar	3:52 PM
also, is using an older version of OpenFOAM ok as long as it does the task?
Dan Kamalic left group chat.

Olivier Mesnard 3:54 PM It would be preferable to use the one I used (v-2.2.2) since there are some modifications with the previous versions (for instance, the way to write the numerical solutions) Dan Kamalic joined group chat. Rajdeep Trilokekar 3:56 PM if I found a library that introduces GPGPU compatibility but it is for v2.1.x, would it still work? Dan Kamalic 3:57 PM If it produces a result that is correct based on the reference answer, then yes. Olivier, do you see any reason that the different version will not work for all cases? Olivier Mesnard 3:57 PM Veronica, you tried the version 2.1.x for this application, right? Was it running properly? Dan Kamalic 3:58 PM Veronica tried version 2.2.1 and it was working. Verónica Vergara Larrea 3:59 PM @Rajdeep: Yes, if the trial version can be obtained by everyone (all teams should be able to get a copy if they needed it) Olivier Mesnard 3:59 PM Actually, I started o work on OpenFOAM 2.0.1 then decided to switch to v-2.2.2 sometimes after. I wanted to restart my simulation at a certain point using the solution I got with a previous version and got some problems. Rajdeep Trilokekar 4:00 PM hmmm ok Olivier Mesnard 4:00 PM That is why I advise you to use either 2.2.2 or 2.1.x Rajdeep Trilokekar 4:00 PM wait but 2.1.x WOULD work? or is that also incompatible? Olivier Mesnard 4:01 PM I would like Veronica to answer this question. I did not try it. Veronica? sorry Rajdeep, please use 2.2.x. And NOT 2.1.x. My mistake. Dan Kamalic 4:01 PM Veronica tried 2.2.1 Rajdeep Trilokekar 4:01 PM ok Dan Kamalic 4:03 PM @Rajdeep, you can certainly use 2.1.x if 2.2.x is not compatible with the GPU version, but we do not know if it will work. So we recommend you at least have something that you know works in addition to anything else you try Olivier Mesnard 4:04 PM Correct. Rajdeep Trilokekar 4:05 PM okay thanks Dan Kamalic 4:09 PM Olivier, can you post the link to CuIBM download? I want teams to know that they can use it as long as they also have an OpenFOAM version working. Anush Krishnan joined group chat. Olivier Mesnard 4:11 PM I asked Anush to join us. Dan Kamalic 4:11 PM Thanks, Anush!(Warning: there are limits to how useful CuIBM will be for you.) Olivier Mesnard 4:11 PM Anush is developing cuIBM. Dan Kamalic 4:09 PM Olivier, can you post the link to CuIBM download? I want teams to know that they can use it as long as they also have an OpenFOAM version working. Anush Krishnan 4:12 PM https://bitbucket.org/anushk/cuibm

Olivier Mesnard
2:22 PM
I would like to add, that Paraview needs to be compiled with Python enabled, in order to get some nice plot of the vorticity field behind the snake.
Also, they are some scripts that require python with matplotlib to post-process some information.

me
2:35 PM
Did the IVEC team have a question for Olivier or Anush?

Verónica Vergara Larrea
2:40 PM
Ok, if there are no more questions, I'd like to thank Olivier

Olivier Mesnard
2:40 PM
You are welcome.

Verónica Vergara Larrea
2:40 PM
we'll close this session for now
thanks everyone!

Olivier Mesnard
2:41 PM
Hopefully every body will be able to run the simulations!

Verónica Vergara Larrea
2:41 PM
Have a good evening!

Olivier Mesnard