New to the group, seems activity is low.. anyone around?

Nathan McCorkle

Mar 5, 2013, 5:54:48 PM3/5/13
to structur...@googlegroups.com
I just got a DLP projector from ebay and mounted an LED in place of the old bulb... I also got a Logitech C615 for HD image capture.

Why use sine wave rather than just every other pixel being on or off? Isn't the best resolution per-frame limited to the resolution of the DLP chip, with a camera possessing sufficient resolution to resolve 1 line of pixels?? If the black line was only 1 pixel wide, with 1 white pixel, you'd only ever be able to get 2 phases then, right?

Kyle McDonald

Mar 12, 2013, 11:17:02 AM3/12/13
to structur...@googlegroups.com
hey, unfortunately this list has been pretty dead since the kinect came out :)

doing very high frequency phase shift is possible if your scene is
mostly low frequency (i.e., very subtly curved surfaces), but using
lower frequencies tends to be more robust to higher frequency features
(jagged edges, small things that jut out, folds in fabric) otherwise
it's hard to do the necessary relative phase propagation step.

Nathan McCorkle

Mar 12, 2013, 1:55:31 PM3/12/13
to structur...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Kyle!

I looked into the Kinect, and it seems like it's much lower resolution
in general. This looks mainly due to the camera resolution and FOV,
but would the dot pattern also detract when trying to acquisition
high-frequency objects? Or would simply rotating an item in front of a
Kinect enable micron resolution?
--
-Nathan

Elliot Woods

Nathan McCorkle

Mar 12, 2013, 4:24:20 PM3/12/13
to structur...@googlegroups.com
Cool, but doesn't mention resolution and I'm not finding anything
about it on google either. Other than the FOV being pretty big (I saw
shoebox size minimum for kinect) the sensors and output is great, but
I'm looking for something to scan no bigger than the volume of common
3D printer which is around shoebox size max (or 2 or 3 of them). So
the resolution/FOV with a kinect seems inappropriate. Anyway I already
have a projector and a Logitech C615 :P
> ell...@KimchiAndChips.com

Arturo Castro

Mar 12, 2013, 4:26:43 PM3/12/13
to structur...@googlegroups.com
i also found this some time ago, haven't tried it but they also have a
limited free version:

http://skanect.manctl.com/

Elliot Woods

Mar 12, 2013, 4:28:41 PM3/12/13
to structur...@googlegroups.com
can i recommend you ask for a beta version of this software:
it sounds very suitable for your purposes
it performs accurate structured light scanning and walks you through calibration routines (suggest doing the chessboard one for accuracy)

kyle's 3-phase scanner is more suitable for recording motion without true spatial calibration (@kyle - correct me here if you've updated your software since y-cam).
i.e. kind of a set of toys to understand 3d scanning, rather than an accurate tool

Elliot Woods

Mar 12, 2013, 4:30:30 PM3/12/13
to structur...@googlegroups.com
wow, that seems to have improved a lot!

also there's kscan3d

but they won't match up to a decent graycode+phased structured light scan
but….they will piece together scans quite easily

Kyle McDonald

Mar 12, 2013, 10:19:17 PM3/12/13
to structur...@googlegroups.com
the dot pattern from the kinect is more like a gray code in that it
provides an absolute position / unique correspondence, not like phase
shift which requires unwrapping. but this still means high frequency
structures (details) are problematic when they're more fine than the
dot pattern.

and yes i still haven't used R3DS so i can't attest to ease of use,
but i've worked with the author to understand certain technical
challenges he ran into -- and i'm sure it's at least as good as other
structured light solutions out there.

elliot's exactly right about my software being "a set of toys to
understand 3d scanning, rather than an accurate tool". i'd look to
things like reconstructme or DAVID for low cost solutions, and R3DS if
you have a projector and camera to work with.

Bernhard Mayrhofer

Apr 1, 2013, 9:19:23 AM4/1/13
to structur...@googlegroups.com
Hi Kyle!

A year ago I bought a 3D-printer and got also very interested in all kind of DIY 3D-scanning techniques. I played around with Kinect and David-Laserscanner and form my experience every technique has its advantages.

The Kinect scanners are perfect for larger objects and for 3D-printers, because their low resolution keeps the files small.

If you want to get High-resolution scans, you need a structured light process. I am using David-Laserscanner and published some nice projects:

Currently, from my point of view, there is no alternative to David. I would be great, If there would be a comparabe Open Source alternative.

From my point of view this technology has a great potential for scans of small any tiny objects, because you can use lenses to define the size of the projector image.

If you like, please have a look on the new forum for DIY and Entry-Level 3D-scanners www.diy3dscan.com

The goal of the forum is to build an overview of all kind of affordable 3D-scanners and to encourage users to experiment with new techniques.

By the qay, if you are interested in 3D-scanning, get yourself a 3D-printer. It is the perfect tool chain to bring you ideas into life!

Best,
Bernhard
Message has been deleted

cut.i...@gmail.com

Apr 9, 2013, 10:14:17 AM4/9/13
to structur...@googlegroups.com
As part of the FP7 funded project "3DUNDERWORLD", we are involved with the development of structure light scanners (hardware and software) and recently we have made our code [b]open source for non-commercial and research purposes only[/b].

The latest version is 3.0 and requires at least 2 DSLR cameras and a projector.
Version 2.x works with one camera and one projector.

We also make high-fidelity models available which showcase our software.

You can find more information at: http://www.3dunderworld.org

If you use our software, and especially if you use it to accomplish real work, we would like very much to hear from you. A short email (you can find it on our website) describing how you use our software will mean a lot to us. The more people we know are using our software, the more easily we can justify spending time on improvements that we hope will benefit you.

Nathan McCorkle

Apr 9, 2013, 5:06:51 PM4/9/13
to structur...@googlegroups.com, cut.i...@gmail.com

On Tue, Apr 9, 2013 at 7:13 AM, <cut.i...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello all,

--
-Nathan

cut.i...@gmail.com

Apr 10, 2013, 11:57:46 AM4/10/13
to structur...@googlegroups.com, cut.i...@gmail.com
Hello Nathan,

Indeed, the link to the zip file was misspelled. We have corrected the problem so you can try again.

Thanks.