Best setup for facial modeling

Linkreincarnate

Jun 23, 2011, 10:08:49 PM6/23/11
to structured-light
What I am looking for is the easiest system to get reliable 3d meshes
by scanning a person's head. I plan on printing them on a makerbot so
accuracy above .5 millimeters is not necessary and color information
can be discarded. I can get pretty close while scanning so distance
isn't an issue either. What diy setup will be the least amount of work
to go from 3d scan to 3d model? I already have a kinect, ps eye,
regular camera, wiimote, and a pico projector.

Yongchang Wang

Jun 24, 2011, 11:40:25 AM6/24/11
to structur...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Hope the attached paper help.

regards,
Yongchang

--
3D Imaging Laboratory
http://vis.uky.edu/~yongchang/

Kyle McDonald

Jun 24, 2011, 11:44:39 AM6/24/11
to structur...@googlegroups.com
i've been doing a lot of scanning + printing with kinect and makerbot.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kylemcdonald/5717369771/in/photostream/

here's an app that will generate the necessary stl files. osx-only right now:

https://github.com/downloads/kylemcdonald/Makerbot/KinectToStl.zip

kyle

Linkreincarnate

Jun 25, 2011, 2:55:51 AM6/25/11
to structured-light
Yeah I just got that working tonight... I think I need a little more
accuracy (or at least less noise).. I wish I could use the kinect as
a camera and still do a laser sweep. Then I could use the laser data
to help calibrate the noise out of the kinect data and the kinect data
to fill in undersampled scan areas... If anyone wants to work on
coding this in c++ I can help...