Installation problem - can't find JRE in the system

Fernanda Costa

Apr 27, 2018, 2:58:27 PM4/27/18
to structure-software
Hello,

I'm trying to install Structure in Ubuntu 16.04 but the installer tells me that my JRE is not compatible. My question is: Which java/JRE do i need to have in the machine so i can successfully install the software?

The message i'm getting when i try the installation:
---
my@computer$ ./install
Testing default java virtual machine in the system ...
Structure version 2.3.3 requires Sun Java Runtime Environment (version > 1.5.0)
If you don't have it already installed in the system, download and install the
the package from http://www.java.com/download/ for free

If you do have compatible JRE in the system, specify the path to java
/usr/lib/jvm/java-9-openjdk-amd64/bin/java #The path to my java

Sorry, /usr/lib/jvm/java-9-openjdk-amd64/bin/java (version 1.) is not a compatible JRE
---

My JAVA specifications:
---
my@computer:/usr/lib/jvm/java-9-openjdk-amd64/bin$ ./java -version
openjdk version "9-internal"
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (build 9-internal+0-2016-04-14-195246.buildd.src)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 9-internal+0-2016-04-14-195246.buildd.src, mixed mode)
---

Is there something wrong with my JAVA or the path i'm setting? Or something else?

Thank you all in advance and have a good weekend,

Fernanda Costa

Pablo G Goikoetxea

Apr 30, 2018, 10:06:36 AM4/30/18
to structure-software
Dear Fernanda
As your output shows, openjdk is not compatible with Structure. You can follow these steps
https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-install-java-with-apt-get-on-ubuntu-16-04
to install the Oracle JRE.

Pablo

f.pina...@gmail.com

May 7, 2018, 5:34:06 AM5/7/18
to structure-software
Dear Fernanda,

Pablo's solution will certainly make STRUCUTRE run on your machine (I was actually about to do this on a couleague's machine). But installing Orcale's JRE can be a bit "overkill" for what you are trying to achieve (and can have unintended side effects on other badly coded programs that rely on OpenJDK's paths).
If you want an alternative to installing oracle's JRE, you can also just edit the `install` file, and on line 17, delete the word "java ", right before "version".
When STRUCUTRE was conceived, OpenJDK (the open source version of java) was not 100% compatible with orcale's own java (at the time it was not oracle, but SUN, but I digress). Anyway, nowadays STRUCTURE's frontend will run fine on an OpenJDK (which is what is installed by default in Ubuntu), and changing that line will make sure the install process happens the way it was meant to (which is still far from ideal in my opinion).

Best regards

Francisco