How To install Structure in MacBookAir M1

Preeti Sagar Negi

Feb 5, 2022, 10:09:13 AM2/5/22
to structure-software
Please guide me how to  install the structure in MacBookair M. earlier I use to have window 10 and it was easy to just download from the website. but now it is not like that after downloading the file I m getting error that “Structure.app” is damaged and can’t be opened. You should eject the disk image.

Vikram Chhatre

Feb 5, 2022, 10:10:03 AM2/5/22
to structure-software
In the terminal, try this:

xattr -d com.apple.quarantine /Applications/Structure.app

On Sat, Feb 5, 2022 at 8:09 AM Preeti Sagar Negi <preetisag...@gmail.com> wrote:
Please guide me how to  install the structure in MacBookair M. earlier I use to have window 10 and it was easy to just download from the website. but now it is not like that after downloading the file I m getting error that “Structure.app” is damaged and can’t be opened. You should eject the disk image.

Swati Saha

Feb 5, 2022, 10:19:22 AM2/5/22
to structure...@googlegroups.com
You can try installing Structure by using conda in terminal!

Josh Banta

Feb 5, 2022, 11:11:16 AM2/5/22
to structure...@googlegroups.com
Hello all,

My understanding was that STRUCTURE will not work under the new Mac M1 processors. It sounds like this person has such a computer. Can someone correct me if I'm wrong? Perhaps it still works because of Rosetta?

Best,
Josh Banta

Vikram Chhatre

Feb 5, 2022, 11:15:06 AM2/5/22
to structure...@googlegroups.com
That is a good point I hadn’t considered. I don’t have access to a M1 machine yet but would be curious to hear if someone can test and report.

Josh Banta

Feb 5, 2022, 2:02:18 PM2/5/22
to structure...@googlegroups.com
I found the answer, and it appears to be yes, it should run.

For the command line version, follow these steps to open a terminal under Rosetta:

For the GUI, I am less certain it will run, but it should. You'll need to right-click on the App, choose "Get Info," and then choose "Run under Rosetta." That should do it, I hope.

Preeti Sagar Negi

Feb 8, 2022, 12:37:37 AM2/8/22
to structure-software
Hi,  firstly Thanks to all of you for ur suggestions. I tried Home-brew, Rosetta and other few methods whatever google suggested to me. but it didn't worked out. the only thing left is Conda and also I m unable to understanding how to work with it,.
if anyone knowns who is working with Structure and Genesis in Mac intel or Mac M1. please let know.

Josh Banta

Jul 28, 2022, 12:08:12 AM7/28/22
to structure...@googlegroups.com
Dear Preeti,

I have come up with a solution to run STRUCTURE on M1/M2/M3/etc ARM-based Macs:

There is a program for Macs called UTM that can emulate an x86-based Ubuntu Linux machine, and STRUCTURE can be run under Ubuntu Linux.

(To those familiar with the technical capabilities of UTM: I know UTM can also be used to *virtualize* ARM-based Ubuntu Linux, but STRUCTURE requires i386 libraries that I assume do not work under ARM-based Ubuntu.)

I actually have developed a pre-configured Ubuntu Linux virtual machine that you can emulate on your Mac that already has STRUCTURE pre-installed. All you have to do is:

1) Download and install UTM on your Mac. Instructions here (from 0:00 - 5:37):
Be sure to stop at the 5:37 mark.

2) Download my pre-configured virtual machine:

3) Hook my pre-configured virtual machine up to the UTM software on your computer:

4) Run STRUCTURE:

PS: As a bonus, here's a tutorial I made to show how to make publication-readily figures from the STRUCTURE output:

I hope this helps you and the rest of the community!

-Joshua Banta