Inquiry Driven Systems

Jon Awbrey

Jun 28, 2020, 8:54:29 AM6/28/20
to Cybernetic Communications, Ontolog Forum, Peirce List, Structural Modeling, SysSciWG
Cf: Survey of Inquiry Driven Systems • 2
http://inquiryintoinquiry.com/2020/06/26/survey-of-inquiry-driven-systems-%e2%80%a2-2/

Dear Colleagues,

Here's an update of my Survey ( http://inquiryintoinquiry.com/surveys/ )
of previous blog and wiki posts on Inquiry Driven Systems, fixing many
links that got broken when the InterSciWiki went off the live web.

An “inquiry driven system” is a system having among its state variables
some representing its state of information with respect to various topics
of interest, for example, its own state and the state of any potential
object systems. Thus it has a component of state tracing a trajectory
though an information state space.

Elements
========

• Prospects for Inquiry Driven Systems
https://oeis.org/wiki/User:Jon_Awbrey/Prospects_for_Inquiry_Driven_Systems

• Introduction to Inquiry Driven Systems
https://oeis.org/wiki/Introduction_to_Inquiry_Driven_Systems

Developments
============

• Functional Logic • Inquiry and Analogy
https://oeis.org/wiki/Functional_Logic_%E2%80%A2_Inquiry_and_Analogy

• Inquiry Driven Systems • Fields Of Inquiry
http://web.archive.org/web/20160616140000/http://intersci.ss.uci.edu/wiki/index.php/Inquiry_Driven_Systems_:_Fields_Of_Inquiry

• Inquiry Driven Systems • Inquiry Into Inquiry
https://oeis.org/wiki/Inquiry_Driven_Systems_%E2%80%A2_Overview

Applications
============

• Interpretation as Action • The Risk of Inquiry
https://www.academia.edu/1266493/Interpretation_as_Action_The_Risk_of_Inquiry

• Exploring Research Data Interactively • Theme One : A Program of Inquiry
https://www.academia.edu/1272839/Exploring_Research_Data_Interactively._Theme_One_A_Program_of_Inquiry

• An Architecture for Inquiry • Building Computer Platforms for Discovery
https://www.academia.edu/1270327/An_Architecture_for_Inquiry_Building_Computer_Platforms_for_Discovery

• Organizations of Learning or Learning Organizations
: The Challenge of Creating Integrative Universities for the Next Century
http://www.iupui.edu/~arisbe/menu/library/aboutcsp/awbrey/integrat.htm

• Conceptual Barriers to Creating Integrative Universities
http://org.sagepub.com/content/8/2/269.abstract

Regards,

Jon

inquiry into inquiry: https://inquiryintoinquiry.com/
academia: https://independent.academia.edu/JonAwbrey
oeiswiki: https://www.oeis.org/wiki/User:Jon_Awbrey
facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/JonnyCache

Jon Awbrey

Dec 25, 2020, 12:24:36 PM12/25/20
to Cybernetic Communications, Ontolog Forum, Peirce List, Structural Modeling, SysSciWG
Cf: Inquiry Driven Systems • Comment 6
http://inquiryintoinquiry.com/2020/12/25/inquiry-driven-systems-comment-6/

Re: Peter Cameron
https://cameroncounts.wordpress.com/about/
::: Publication : An Author's View
https://cameroncounts.wordpress.com/2020/12/23/publication-an-authors-view/

Dear Peter,

It's funny you should mention Tennyson's poem in the context of
an author's view of publication since I once laid out a detailed
interpretation of the poem as a metaphor on the poet's quest to
communicate. I know I wrote a shorter, sweeter essay on that
somewhere I can't find right now but here's one of my more
turgid dilatations where I used the poem as an “epitext” —
a connected series of epigraphs — for a discussion of what
I called Ostensibly Recursive Texts (ORTs).

🙞 Inquiry Driven Systems • The Informal Context
https://oeis.org/wiki/Inquiry_Driven_Systems_%E2%80%A2_Part_2#The_Informal_Context

<EXCERPT>

Tennyson's poem The Lady of Shalott is akin to an ORT, but a bit more remote,
since the name styled as “The Lady of Shalott”, that the author invokes over
the course of the text, is not at first sight the title of a poem, but a title
its character adopts and afterwards adapts as the name of a boat. It is only on
a deeper reading that this text can be related to or transformed into a proper ORT.
Operating on a general principle of interpretation, the reader is entitled to suspect
the author is trying to say something about himself, his life, and his work, and that
he is likely to be exploiting for this purpose the figure of his ostensible character
and the vehicle of his manifest text. If this is an aspect of the author's intention,
whether conscious or unconscious, then the reader has a right to expect several forms
of analogy are key to understanding the full intention of the text.

</EXCERPT>

Jon Awbrey

Dec 27, 2020, 2:30:21 PM12/27/20
to Cybernetic Communications, Ontolog Forum, Peirce List, Structural Modeling, SysSciWG
Cf: Survey of Inquiry Driven Systems • 3
http://inquiryintoinquiry.com/2020/12/27/survey-of-inquiry-driven-systems-3/

All,

This updates my Survey ( http://inquiryintoinquiry.com/surveys/ )
of blog and wiki posts on “Inquiry Driven Systems”, repairing in
passing the welter of links broken due to sundry web defunctions.

⁂ ⁂ ⁂

An “inquiry driven system” is a system having among its state variables
some representing its state of information with respect to various topics
of interest, for example, its own state and the states of any potential