Zeroth Law Of Semiotics

Jon Awbrey

Oct 25, 2021, 8:57:05 AM10/25/21
to Peirce List, Cybernetic Communications, Laws of Form, Ontolog Forum, Structural Modeling, SysSciWG
Cf: Zeroth Law Of Semiotics
https://inquiryintoinquiry.com/2015/07/30/zeroth-law-of-semiotics/
Cf: Zeroth Law Of Semiotics • Comment 1
https://inquiryintoinquiry.com/2015/07/31/zeroth-law-of-semiotics-comment-1/

Zeroth Law Of Semiotics
=======================

Meaning is a privilege not a right.
Not all pictures depict.
Not all signs denote.

Never confuse a property of a sign,
just for instance, existence,
with a sign of a property,
for instance, existence.

Taking a property of a sign
for a sign of a property
is the zeroth sign of
nominal thinking
and the first
mistake.

Also Sprach 0*
2002 October 09
http://lyris.ttu.edu/read/messages?id=32824

Comment
=======

New discussions of the so-called “Liar Paradox” have
broken out at several places on the web in recent weeks,
just to mention a couple of cases:

• Foundations Of Mathematics (FOM) • The Liar Revenge
https://cs.nyu.edu/pipermail/fom/2015-July/thread.html#18825

• Gödel’s Lost Letter and P=NP • Playing Chess With The Devil
https://rjlipton.wpcomstaging.com/2015/07/28/playing-chess-with-the-devil/

Bedevilments of that ilk always bring to mind — to my mind at least —
the critical ways the Peircean paradigm of logic as semiotics differs
from the fallback paradigm bedeviling the thinking of those who have
yet to see by Peirce’s lights.

And that in turn brings to mind the [above] oldie but still goodie
pointing to what I take to be the issue at the root of the “Liar”
and many other pseudo-problems.

Regards,

Jon

--

inquiry into inquiry: https://inquiryintoinquiry.com/
academia: https://independent.academia.edu/JonAwbrey

Jon Awbrey

Oct 25, 2021, 6:00:18 PM10/25/21
to Peirce List, Cybernetic Communications, Laws of Form, Ontolog Forum, Structural Modeling, SysSciWG
Cf: Zeroth Law Of Semiotics • Comment 2
https://inquiryintoinquiry.com/2015/07/31/zeroth-law-of-semiotics-comment-2/

Re: Peirce List
https://list.iupui.edu/sympa/arc/peirce-l/2015-07/thrd11.html#00303
::: Edwina Taborsky
https://list.iupui.edu/sympa/arc/peirce-l/2015-07/msg00304.html

My old avatar 0* (Zero-Aster) does incline to laconic verses
but I hope to address a class of concrete applications which
will serve to unpack their sense.

The main thing I wish to communicate is the possibility that many
so-called insolubilia and paradoxes are merely cases of conceptual
difficulty which can be resolved when viewed within the right sort
of conceptual framework, namely, Peirce’s pragmatic semiotics or
a natural extension of it.

Regards,

Jon

Jon Awbrey

Oct 26, 2021, 10:30:28 AM10/26/21
to Peirce List, Cybernetic Communications, Laws of Form, Ontolog Forum, Structural Modeling, SysSciWG
Cf: Zeroth Law Of Semiotics • Discussion 1
https://inquiryintoinquiry.com/2021/10/26/zeroth-law-of-semiotics-discussion-1/

Re: Laws of Form
https://groups.io/g/lawsofform/topic/zeroth_law_of_semiotics/86576118
::: John Mingers ( https://groups.io/g/lawsofform/message/1109 )

<QUOTE JM:>
Hmmm. Sounds terribly like analytic philosophy to me.
There are not real philosophical problems, it’s all just
a matter of misuse of words. Have you seen the world out there —
there really are problems that philosophy ought to try and help with!!!
</QUOTE>

Dear John,

If I have a philosophy it would be pragmatism. A pragmatist —
or pragmatician as I sometimes prefer — is more like a type of
reflective practitioner, one who applies the pragmatic maxim to
clarify ideas, all the better to apply ideas to pressing realities.

<QUOTE Pragmatic Maxim:>
( https://inquiryintoinquiry.com/2008/08/07/pragmatic-maxim/ )

The pragmatic maxim is a guideline for the practice of inquiry
formulated by Charles Sanders Peirce. Serving as a normative
recommendation or regulative principle in the normative science
of logic, its function is to guide the conduct of thought toward
the achievement of its aims, advising the addressee on an optimal
way of “attaining clearness of apprehension”.
</QUOTE>

In pragmatic ways of thinking, semiotics is a discipline of
critical thinking charged with sorting out the respective roles
of signs, ideas, and objects (including “objects” in the sense of
aims, ends, goals, objectives, and purposes) in the activities of
communication, learning, and reasoning.

That is what I'm about here.

Regards,

Jon