OEA and Forensic Audit of STRS Ohio

STRS Ohio Watchdogs

Jul 13, 2021, 7:03:33 PMJul 13
to STRS Ohio Watchdogs

Many of our supporters belong to the Ohio STRS Member Only Forum, a private Facebook group for members of STRS Ohio.

A letter was posted in the Forum recently, from OEA President Scott DiMauro to Local Presidents, Board of Directors, District Leaders, UniServ Leadership Council Chairs, OEA-R Advisory Council, and all OEA Staff.

In his letter, Mr. Di Mauro addresses the forensic audit of STRS Ohio conducted by Edward Siedle. For those of you who may not be aware, the Ohio Retired Teachers Association (ORTA) organized a fundraising campaign to raise $75,000 to hire Siedle to perform a forensic audit of STRS. Siedle released his preliminary report on June 7, 2021. You can find “The High Cost of Secrecy: Preliminary Findings of Forensic Investigation of State Teachers Retirement System of Ohio” on the ORTA website.

Watchdogs will be pleased to read that OEA urges the STRS Ohio Board to “take the report seriously and fully investigate the claims” and “communicate openly with its members about the report.”

In response to Mr. DiMauro’s reference to “inflammatory and one-sided social media posts you may be seeing”, we want to assure our members that the mission of the STRS Ohio Watchdogs is to post reliable and fact-based information for Ohio’s legislators and taxpayers about STRS Ohio and our retirement benefits.