Import status completed code has changed again

Jason Gilmore

Aug 28, 2013, 2:27:24 PM8/28/13
to streamsend-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Our API-integrated newsletter management app has again gone offline because the response status code has again mysteriously changed. Last week I confirmed with StreamSend that the code had changed on August 20 from "200" to "200 OK", despite no mention on this list or elsewhere. This morning our app has gone offline anew, and I have confirmed this code has again mysteriously changed, this time back to the original "200".

This updated status code is being sent despite the documentation still reading "200 OK":

http://app.streamsend.com/docs/api/index.html

I can certainly appreciate the desire to update the API, but making unannounced changes is not helpful.

Jason

Here's the snippet from our log, proving the status code change:

date: "Wed, 28 Aug 2013 18:20:10 GMT"
server: "Apache"
etag: "\"2b5bc14062754c98083c4b1325618b95\""
x-ua-compatible: "IE=Edge,chrome=1"
cache-control: "must-revalidate, private, max-age=0"
x-rack-cache: "miss"
x-request-id: "4e267fc23f42def7006a1778a914ff3f"
set-cookie: "_session_id=c8c4d7e5231276974d3d5681180374ef; path=/; HttpOnly"
status: "200"
vary: "Accept-Encoding"
content-length: "260"
connection: "close"
content-type: "application/xml; charset=utf-8"
completed

Chris O'Meara

Aug 28, 2013, 3:54:11 PM8/28/13
to streamsend-...@googlegroups.com
Jason,

I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience.

We upgraded a piece of our infrastructure last Thursday and inadvertently changed the contents of the Status header. As soon as we realized the change we patched StreamSend to get back to the previous value.

Unfortunately, that patch introduced a different issue and we are in the process of removing it. Please expect the Status value to change back to "200 OK" today.

The Status header is not specified by the HTTP spec and, as such, contents of the header are at the discretion of the web or application server implementation. The status line, however, is part of the HTTP spec and you can count on it's format remaining consistent. The status line looks like this:

HTTP/1.1 200 OK

Your safest course of action is to parse the status line in order to determine the result of your request. You might also consider using an HTTP library that handles these details and provides an API to your application.

I hear your concerns regarding giving you more notice of changes to the API. We are reviewing our release procedures to find ways to be more proactive about changes.

Best Regards,
Chris O'Meara
Director Of Engineering
StreamSend