Questions about integration with php/mysql

cenotaph

Jan 1, 2010, 12:51:30 PM1/1/10
to StreamHub Comet Server Community
Hello.

I am a newbie at this comet subject so please excuse my questions.

I am using centos/apache/php/mysql for my websites. I have several
websites with high static hits and I have added fancy ajax loads to
that like chat, online activity etc. Of course pushing the limits of
apache. I wanted to implement a long polling then it would result in
failure of apache mostly so I came across to this platform based upon
a suggestion.

I see that server and examples are written in Java. Do I need convert
my existing applications to use this server or they can be integrated?

Thanks.

StreamHub Team

Jan 1, 2010, 3:05:42 PM1/1/10
to StreamHub Comet Server Community
Hi,

You should only need to convert the stuff that needs comet/long-
polling to Java. Any existing static php & mysql stuff you are best
keeping on Apache. Just run StreamHub on your CentOS server on a
different port to Apache and connect any of the chat functions to that
port using the Ajax SDK.

StreamHub allows you to run all your existing website off of Apache/
IIS/Tomcat (or whatever you use) and run any Comet applications/
widgets alongside using StreamHub. The Ajax SDK allows you to connect
to StreamHub from a JavaScript include in one of your PHP pages e.g.:

var hub = new StreamHub();
hub.connect("http://myhost.com:81/");

There's a good getting started guide here:

http://streamhub.blogspot.com/2009/10/getting-started-with-reverse-ajax-and.html

And a tutorial to getting a very basic chat example working here:

http://streamhub.blogspot.com/2009/07/tutorial-building-comet-chat.html

Hope this helps.