Anybody tried using Streamcruncher with PostgreSQL

Luc

Jan 6, 2007, 8:19:10 PM1/6/07
to streamcruncher
PostgreSQL supports JDBC, so I guess it should work, but I saw in the
documentation some specific infos and a list of "supported/tested"
databases. So does anybody know if Streamcruncher works with
PostgreSQL?

Thanks,
Luc

Ashwin

Jan 6, 2007, 10:45:23 PM1/6/07
to streamcruncher
Hi Luc, StreamCruncher does not support Postgre at present. I'm
concentrating mostly only pure In-memory DBs like H2, Oracle TimesTen
and other multi-engine DBs like SOLID and MySQL. There are also a few
others like ANTs, Firebird and Derby. ANTs is supposedly a real-time or
at least near-realtime DB. Firebird and Derby are like Desktop DBs -
easy to setup and get a demo working.

For DBs like Derby and ANTs, you can reduce the disk-logging to almost
zero by using the "Suggested settings" mentioned in the SC
documentation.

That's why you don't see the big-daddy DBs like Oracle 10G, DB2, MS
SQL, Sybase etc being supported. They add too much overhead because of
their Disk-based logging.

There is some DB specific code that goes into SC - especially for the
Table, Index creation syntax. It notmally takes me about a few hours to
integrate SC with a DB, if it is a well mannered DB :-)

And I couldn't get PostGRE to work on my Win XP Home edition. So, I
couldn't provide support. Sometime in the future, I might consider
supporting it.

Ashwin.