Activity Summary Map Broken

Brandon White

Sep 17, 2022, 7:55:48 AM9/17/22
to Strava API
Deserializing Strava activity data suddenly stopped working in my app yesterday. It seems that Strava started returning null for empty map data instead of an empty polyline. Please give us a heads up before making these changes. This change broke my application for several users and now I have to wait on Apple and Google to approve a new release version to fix it for them.

Thanks,

Brandon White

Michael Morse

Sep 17, 2022, 11:28:02 PM9/17/22
to Strava API
I was wondering if it was something on my end but I noticed the same issue. I had to include an additional error handling for null values. Glad to know it was just an issue on our end!

Art Rybalko

Sep 20, 2022, 5:48:20 AM9/20/22
to Strava API
IFTTT triggers were also affected when the maps started returning null, and that did not pass our schema validation. We had to make a hotfix to account for null values instead of empty strings.

MC

Sep 20, 2022, 9:03:17 AM9/20/22
to Strava API
Hi all,

This was an unintended change to the API as a result of some work that was being done. The team is currently looking into this and will keep you posted/be sure to update the changelog if the update persists. Want to note that this update only applies to those activities without GPS.

Apologies for the inconvenience.

- MC | Strava API Team

Michael Harrod

Oct 18, 2022, 4:26:48 PM10/18/22
to Strava API
We had some user reports of activities failing to synchronise with our system around 21 September, likely without GPS data.

When I checked getActivityById() on 27 September, it looked like we were still getting null values for map. Today, it seems like we are getting blank strings for poly line, which I understand is the previous behaviour and less disruptive for current users of the API.

What confuses me is that our system should  handle a value of null for map, yet we still had some synchronisation problems around 21 September. What I wanted to check here is, was there a period on or after 21 Sep where webhook subscriptions or calls to getActivityById() were disrupted in some other way that might have impacted our ability to sync activities? Unfortunately I don't have detailed logging on our side for the days in question.

Thanks,

Michael