TCX activity type enhancements

Grimp Eur

Jan 27, 2022, 2:12:05 PM1/27/22
to Strava API
Greetings,

Strava, please enhance the TCX activity types to support all the possible Strava activities (https://developers.strava.com/docs/reference/#api-models-ActivityType) instead of ONLY " ‘biking’, ‘running’, ‘hiking’, ‘walking’ and ‘swimming’" (source: https://developers.strava.com/docs/uploads/)

Thanks

Bryant Likes

Jan 27, 2022, 2:20:29 PM1/27/22
to Grimp Eur, Strava API
Based on the docs (which you linked to) they do support more than just those four types.

Uploads:
activity_type:string optional, case insensitive
Possible values : ride, run, swim, workout, hike, walk, nordicski, alpineski, backcountryski, iceskate, inlineskate, kitesurf, rollerski, windsurf, workout, snowboard, snowshoe, ebikeride, virtualride
Type detected from file overrides, uses athlete’s default type if not specified

Downloads:

May be one of the following values: AlpineSkiBackcountrySkiCanoeingCrossfitEBikeRideEllipticalGolfHandcycleHikeIceSkateInlineSkateKayakingKitesurfNordicSkiRideRockClimbingRollerSkiRowingRunSailSkateboardSnowboardSnowshoeSoccerStairStepperStandUpPaddlingSurfingSwimVelomobileVirtualRideVirtualRunWalkWeightTrainingWheelchairWindsurfWorkoutYoga

Grimp Eur

Jan 27, 2022, 3:02:57 PM1/27/22
to Strava API

The doc I put is for manual activity creation. The other link I put lists the limited activity types for TCX import:

Activity type is detected from <Activity Sport="*"> where ‘biking’, ‘running’, ‘hiking’, ‘walking’ and ‘swimming’ are mapped to their respective activity types. No other types are currently supported.

Bryant Likes

Jan 27, 2022, 3:17:08 PM1/27/22
to Grimp Eur, Strava API
Not following what you're saying. TCX upload supports quite a few types based on the docs.

Possible values : ride, run, swim, workout, hike, walk, nordicski, alpineski, backcountryski, iceskate, inlineskate, kitesurf, rollerski, windsurf, workout, snowboard, snowshoe, ebikeride, virtualride

Grimp Eur

Jan 27, 2022, 4:19:31 PM1/27/22
to Strava API
Sorry if I'm not clear.
What I am saying is that based on the Strava API doc here (https://developers.strava.com/docs/uploads/), the activity types supported when uploading a TCX file says are very limited, see text in bold

I hope that helps!

TCX - Training Center Database XML

The TCX format was developed by Garmin as part of their Training Center software. For Strava users, an advantage is its ability to include power information. However, it does not support temperature. Strava supports version 2 as defined by Garmin (schema file).

The base version of TCX does not allow for the inclusion of run cadence or power. As a result, TCX has been extended. From the extensions available, Strava extracts from the <Trackpoint> tag:

  • runcadence as cadence
  • watts as power

Strava reads TCX Courses and only uses the <Track>, <TotalTimeSeconds> and <DistanceMeters> from the <Lap> tag. All other averaging information is ignored.

Activity type is detected from <Activity Sport="*"> where ‘biking’, ‘running’, ‘hiking’, ‘walking’ and ‘swimming’ are mapped to their respective activity types. No other types are currently supported.

Bryant Likes

Jan 27, 2022, 4:36:56 PM1/27/22
to Grimp Eur, Strava API
Looking at the Garmin TCX schema it seems to only support these types:

<xsd:simpleType name="Sport_t">
<xsd:restriction base="Token_t">
<xsd:enumeration value="Running"/>
<xsd:enumeration value="Biking"/>
<xsd:enumeration value="Other"/>
</xsd:restriction>
</xsd:simpleType>

Grimp Eur

Jan 27, 2022, 4:57:26 PM1/27/22
to Strava API
Indeed, and Strava supports those  ‘biking’, ‘running’, ‘hiking’, ‘walking’ and ‘swimming’ are mapped to their respective activity types. No other types are currently supported.
Hence, my request to Strava to support more activity types than just those 5.

Does that make sense or do you need further details?

Let me know

Bryant Likes

Jan 27, 2022, 5:22:50 PM1/27/22
to Grimp Eur, Strava API
The Garmin TCX File format is owned by Garmin, not Strava. So if the file format doesn't support other types then how would Strava be able to support it?

Grimp Eur

Jan 27, 2022, 5:40:02 PM1/27/22
to Strava API
If you look above, you can see that Strava supports those types ‘hiking’, ‘walking’ and ‘swimming’ while the TCX schema doesn''t support it.
So if Strava supports more types than the TCX format, why could they not support even more types ? am I missing something ?
Additionally, the Activity type is just a string <Activity Sport="*"> so they could read whatever is in the string, no ?

Bryant Likes

Jan 27, 2022, 6:04:04 PM1/27/22
to Grimp Eur, Strava API
I see what you mean now. My guess is that they already support more than what is supported so unlikely they would add more (just use a different file type like gpx).

You might get a better response by emailing them directly instead of posting in this group.

Grimp Eur

Jan 27, 2022, 6:17:09 PM1/27/22
to Strava API
I could use the gpx file format but I find the TCX format a bit richer and that would require a complete rewrite of my API.

Do you know by chance their email so I can ask them directly ?
I apologize if that was not the place to ask, I thought this Google Group was designed for that.