Setting Visibility of Activities

ARich

Oct 11, 2018, 4:02:53 PM10/11/18
to Strava API
Hello,

I’ve noticed a new feature in the Strava app and website allowing you to set the visibility of an activity to “Everyone,” "Followers,” or “Only You” and I’m wondering if there’s any way to edit this via api?

Thanks!

Stephen Brandon

Oct 23, 2018, 2:40:34 AM10/23/18
to Strava API
+1

My online uploader has been able to upload as "private" using the standard API, however activities that are uploaded using this are now set to Everyone.
i.e the old API is effectively broken as the activities are now always "Everyone" irrespective of how you tag the visibility using the API.

Is there an alternative parameter that can be set?

Thanks
Stephen

martin...@cobi.bike

Oct 30, 2018, 6:03:00 AM10/30/18
to Strava API
Apparently the "private" parameter has been removed from the API.
Compare the current API documentation to that from april, you will notice that the "private" parameter is gone.

However, things stopped working even before the API docs were updated.
At least now we know why.

I second the request from stephen: How can we set an activity to "private" using the new API?
Or even better, could the "private" parameter be restored?

Thanks
Martin

Kevin McKinney

Nov 1, 2018, 5:36:18 PM11/1/18
to Strava API
I've been using the Strava API on my Raspberry Pi for over a year to mark my commutes as commute and private activities. I have just noticed that setting the activity to private is no longer working with the latest API updates. This is pretty frustrating.

If anyone can help with a way to mark activities as private via the API it would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Kevin

Gabriel Landais

Nov 2, 2018, 5:50:22 AM11/2/18
to Strava API
Hi,
I guess that it is not compatible with all their new GDPR stuff, but a rule of thumb might be to only allow to restrict access.
I'm using http://commutemarker.com/ and I really miss the auto private flag...
Gabriel

Kevin McKinney

Nov 2, 2018, 6:10:05 AM11/2/18
to Strava API
I should be able to control my own data though. In my case I'm only altering my own activities - no one else's. But as you say, even the ability to only make activities more restrictive would work.

Also, looks like I done all this myself when I didn't need to. Didn't know about http://commutemaker.com/ lol

Kevin

Nigel Jewell

Nov 12, 2018, 2:42:23 PM11/12/18
to Strava API
This step backwards is really frustrating and has broken my integration that was setting certain activities to public based upon my own criteria.

The new visibility setting doesn't seen to be updatable either.

Strava - if you read this ... please restore the private parameter, or expose the visibility parameter ...

Thanks.

Victor Berchet

Dec 6, 2018, 6:20:49 PM12/6/18
to Strava API
Any idea on re-adding the ability to:
- create a private activity,
- update an activity to make it private.

Again I think the ability to restrict only the visibility would be enough through the API if there is an issue with privacy/GDPR ?

Thanks.

Victor Berchet

Dec 7, 2018, 4:25:41 PM12/7/18
to Strava API
So I asked "[...] Does it means that Strava has no plan to make the privacy adjustable through the API in the future ?" to devel...@strava.com.

Their response is "That is correct, at the moment there are no plans for that." (Dec 7, 2018)