Re: User specific pages and URL

John Hobbs

Jul 20, 2012, 5:38:42 PM7/20/12
to storytlr...@googlegroups.com
1. I'm not certain how much work would be involved to change the URL's like that, but I'm guessing quite a bit.

2. It's often best to get your provider to add a wildcard DNS record, to make subdomains work without further DNS configuration.  I'm not sure how that works with bluehost, but you could contact support and they should be able to tell you.

- John Hobbs

jo...@velvetcache.org

http://www.velvetcache.org/

On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 12:04 PM, tlavelle <tlav...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi,

I was wondering if there were any options for user specific pages.  For example, if user1 registers on the site, the application defaults that users url to http://user1.doman.com.  My cpanel host does't seem to allow me to create subdomains from the app.  So, my questions are:

1.  Can the app be modified to have the users home be http://www.domain.com/user1  ?
2.  Is there something I can do to get the app to work like it wants to?  I am hosting it at bluehost.

@eschnou

Jul 22, 2012, 4:39:00 PM7/22/12
to storytlr...@googlegroups.com
I think that users in folders is going to be tough. There is not much abstraction in the code wrt URLs, a lot is done by convention and changing the behavior would mean changing stuff all around the place.

As John mention, wildcard DNS is the best option. I got it running on a bluehost account in the past without issues. It was just required to contact their support directly to get the wildcard dns setup, it was not possible to configure it directly from the cpanel.

Let us know how it works,

-Laurent