Draft Invitation

Lion Kimbro

Jul 30, 2007, 4:27:44 PM7/30/07
to story...@googlegroups.com
Howdy all,
Here's a draft invitation!

I need to *test* the technical assertions in this document.

* URL's,
* sign-up procedures,
* ...

Feel free to make changes & re-submit.
Hell; Feel free to completely replace it, from the ground up!

Draft follows:

Details follow.

Thank you,
the Storyfield mailing list

== Purpose of the Mailing List ==

We wanted:

* something that was EASY,
- (easier than the blogs,)
* an open forum,
- for tech support questions,
- for conversation themed around storyfield,
- for related chatter,
* something not so "outwardly focused" as a blog,
* something where anyone could participate,
* ... (and other stuff.)

== Some Things You Should Know ==

The list is:
* optional
* high volume
- you aren't expected to read everything
* publicly visible
* open subscription
* unmoderated

List maintainers are:
* Lion Kimbro (206.427.2545)
* Larry Victor
* Peggy Holman
* Tom Atlee

(If you get all that, no need to read this section further;
Just skip down to the Technical Details section near the end.)

---

Long Version:

This mailing list is TOTALLY OPTIONAL. You don't have to use it, at
all.

This mailing list will likely be HIGH VOLUME. Are you scared of
getting emails? Does the "Pez Dispensor of Labor" that is your in-box
strike terror into your heart? Maybe you shouldn't subscribe.

THAT SAID: DON'T FEEL YOU HAVE TO READ EVERYTHING. If you get 1,000
pieces of email one day, we encourage you to just select it all, and
hit, "delete." (Or "archive.") Just read what you like, toss the
rest. You can always read or search the rest, at your leisure, should
you care to do so.

-- Note: --
Peggy Holman thinks this may be an inter-generational thing. She
thinks people who grew up in an information scarce world feel like
they "have to read everything." But now we're in a different
situation, and-- no, you don't have to read everything.

ARCHIVES! Yes, there are archives!

http://groups.google.com/group/storyfield

...note that they are PUBLICLY VISIBLE. Don't say anything on the
list you'd be fearful of, should "the world" be capable of seeing it.
Because this list is completely transparent. You, along with millions
(billions?) of other people around the world, are operating before the
world here. If this bothers you, don't post.

Some other things:

This list is OPEN SUBSCRIPTION. If you have a friend who is NOT going
to the conference, but who is, none-the-less, interested in discussing
this sort of idea, you can recommend that they subscribe.

Note also that this list is UNMODERATED (*). Or rather, that it is
"self-moderated." You can say whatever you like to say here, and
others will say what they like to say here.

(*) (While the list is open subscription, and unmoderated, the very first
post after subscription is moderated, and posts from email addresses
that are not recognized as "subscribers" are moderated. This helps
us vet out spammers.)

Finally:

Your LIST MAINTAINERS are:
* Lion Kimbro -- that's me, 206.427.2545,
* Larry Victor
* Peggy Holman
* Tom Atlee

That's probably also the order in which to complain to people about
something you see here, too.

I think this is going to be a wonderful list. I think this is a
wonderful group of people. I'm proud that you have enough interest to
read this far.

Thank you very much.

-- Lion Kimbro, on behalf of list maintainers.

== Technical Details ==

* SUBSCRIPTION:

Send an email to "storyfield...@googlegroups.com".

Anybody is welcome to do this! ANYBODY! That includes you, too!

*YOU* are welcome to subscribe!

* ARCHIVES / SEARCH:

http://groups.google.com/group/storyfield

* ***!!!<<< UNSUBSCRIBE >>>!!!***

Send an email to "storyfield-...@googlegroups.com"

(Note: You're NOT subscribed right now.)

Larry Victor

Jul 30, 2007, 5:18:27 PM7/30/07
to story...@googlegroups.com
Good draft. I should get people started. How is this going to registered
conference members - by email from Peggy, Tom, or Cheryl. If this is a
one-time broadcast, maybe we need to add a few more things and format it
for greater attention attraction.

I suggest a very brief mention of the blogs, links to them, with a
statement that more instructions for blog use will appear on the
listserv. Given the creativity of most members, they may wish to share
on the blogs.

Mention should be made that one can turn off the individual email
stream, but still use the archive. I have looked but don't see how to do
this.
Mention also might be made that one can post a new email, and reply in
threads, from the archive. However, I still can't do it as it asks for
my google ID and PW, which none of what I have seem to work. Does this
conflict with your statement that one doesn't have to be a member of the
group to post - which is true, but maybe NOT posting or replying from
the archive.

You emphasize properly the optional nature; but maybe we also need some
encouragement as why participation in pre-conference dialog (listserv
and blogs) may be useful.

I like your division into the short and long version.

I feel that I should do more to assist you, given the time demand. I
don't feel like rewriting your draft. I am willing to compose drafts of
parts you feel we might want to insert. As to the format, this would
need to be done by the person sending the final invitation. It could be
compose in html and pasted to the email, but that may generate some hard
to read forms for those not set for html email.

Larry

Lion Kimbro

Jul 31, 2007, 4:17:55 PM7/31/07
to story...@googlegroups.com
On 7/30/07, Larry Victor <larry...@comcast.net> wrote:
> Mention should be made that one can turn off the individual email
> stream, but still use the archive. I have looked but don't see how to do
> this.
> Mention also might be made that one can post a new email, and reply in
> threads, from the archive. However, I still can't do it as it asks for
> my google ID and PW, which none of what I have seem to work. Does this
> conflict with your statement that one doesn't have to be a member of the
> group to post - which is true, but maybe NOT posting or replying from
> the archive.

I'm working on the next draft, but I am wondering:

* "How many technical details should appear in the invitation?"

I mean, I could take every technical difficulty anybody has, and put
the answers into the invitation, but, ... {;)}=

I think it'd be more appropriate to answer technical difficulties
here as they arise. I think we need to take the attitude that tech
support is a shared burden, not something for just one person and
private conversation. This is a hurdle that has to be overcome
together.

I can start a FAQ for the group on a wiki page.

I'm seriously thinking that perhaps the invitation email should
be 1/4 as long, and technical details, beyond how to subscribe,
should be completely removed.

---

To answer your question:

> ...one can post a new email, and reply in threads, from the archive.

> However, I still can't do it as it asks for my google ID and PW,
> which none of what I have seem to work.

1. Go to: http://groups.google.com/group/storyfield
2. Click "+ new post"
3. It should take you to a sign in page.
4. If you ALREADY have a GOOGLE GROUPS account,
(or if you happen to be a Gmail user,
and Gmail is what you are subscribed to the
storyfield list with,)
put in the email address of your account,
and your password.
Click "Sign in."
(You're DONE. Don't go any further.)
5. If you DON'T,
click "Create an account now."
6. Enter your email address, the one that you use to
write to the storyfield group.
7. Make up a password. Put it in the box labelled
"Choose a password:" and the box labelled
"Re-enter password."
8. Check OFF "Enable Web History."
9. Choose and enter a Nick name. (ie, "Lion", for me)
10. Type in the captcha ("Word verification.")
11. Read the agreement.
12. Click "I accept. Create my account."
13. Wait for a couple minutes.
You should get an email in your email inbox.
(If it doesn't come, check your spam filter's
contents for the past 5 minutes.)
14. Reply to it.

You should be fully authorized to post at this point.

These instructions are based on me just looking at the pages, and
asking "What would I do here?" There may be a step I missed or
something. If this doesn't work for you, or if something unexpected
happens, give me details about what happened, or what step you got
stuck on.

> Mention also might be made that one can post a new email, and reply in
> threads, from the archive. However, I still can't do it as it asks for
> my google ID and PW, which none of what I have seem to work.

Can you explain what the "none of what I have seems to work" means?

> Does this
> conflict with your statement that one doesn't have to be a member of the
> group to post - which is true, but maybe NOT posting or replying from
> the archive.

No. :)

Because, of the "which is true" clause.

(If you don't have access to a computer, you can't post either,
but I don't want to complicate things unnecessarily.)

Tom Atlee

Jul 31, 2007, 5:24:22 PM7/31/07
to story...@googlegroups.com
Lion: Here's my shorter version. I have taken my name off the
maintainers list, as I cannot afford to do work on this list and the
blogs and the participants webpage and my evolutionary research. But
I can help you create an invitation to send out to registrants. --
Coheartedly, Tom

Dear Story Field Conference participant,

This is your invitation to participate in the story field mailing list!

**Participation is optional, and open to anyone, whether they are
attending the Story Field Conference or not.**

To subscribe, just send a blank email to
storyfield...@googlegroups.com.

Details follow.

Thank you,
the Storyfield mailing list

== Purpose of the Mailing List ==

We wanted:

* something that was EASY,
- (easier than the blogs,)
* an open forum,
- for tech support questions,
- for conversation themed around storyfield,
- for related chatter,
* something not so "outwardly focused" as a blog,
* something where anyone could participate,
* ... (and other stuff.)

== Some Things You Should Know ==

The list is:
* optional

* high volume (we hope)

- you aren't expected to read everything

- if just receiving a lot of email bothers you,
then you probably should not subscribe
* publicly visible - anyone can see what we write
* open to anyone to participate
* unmoderated (after your first submission)
* archived - you can see all the messages at
<http://groups.google.com/group/storyfield>

List maintainers are:
* Lion Kimbro (206.427.2545)
* Larry Victor
* Peggy Holman

If you have any trouble with using the mailing list, post
a message to the list. Then, when it gets handled, the
handling will be available to help other list members.

I think this is going to be a wonderful list. I think this is a
wonderful group of people. I'm proud that you have enough

interest to read this far. And I hope you join us!

Thank you very much.

-- Lion Kimbro, on behalf of list maintainers.

== Technical Details ==

* TO SUBSCRIBE:

Send an email to "storyfield...@googlegroups.com".

Anybody is welcome to do this! ANYBODY! That includes you, too!

*YOU* are welcome to subscribe!

Send an email to story...@googlegroups.com

* TO VIEW OR SEARCH PREVIOUS MESSAGES:

http://groups.google.com/group/storyfield

* ***!!!<<< TO UNSUBSCRIBE (if you have subscribed) >>>!!!***

(Note: You're NOT subscribed right now.)

--

________________________________

Tom Atlee * The Co-Intelligence Institute * PO Box 493 * Eugene, OR 97440
http://www.co-intelligence.org * http://www.democracyinnovations.org
Read THE TAO OF DEMOCRACY * http://www.taoofdemocracy.com
Tom Atlee's blog http://www.evolvingcollectiveintelligence.org
Please support our work. * Your donations are fully tax-deductible.

________________________________

Lion Kimbro

Jul 31, 2007, 5:40:27 PM7/31/07
to story...@googlegroups.com
On 7/31/07, Tom Atlee <c...@igc.org> wrote:

> Lion: Here's my shorter version. I have taken my name off the
> maintainers list, as I cannot afford to do work on this list and the
> blogs and the participants webpage and my evolutionary research. But
> I can help you create an invitation to send out to registrants. --
> Coheartedly, Tom

Thanks!

I think I can trim it down even a little bit more...

I'll post a new draft tomorrow.

Peggy Holman

Jul 31, 2007, 8:55:29 PM7/31/07
to story...@googlegroups.com
I think the message is great! While my preference is that you remove my
name, if you feel you need my name on it, leave it. I know that I won't be
able to keep up with the volume of messages so will be looking to you, Lion
and Larry, to be the keepers of the list.

Peggy

Lion Kimbro

Jul 31, 2007, 11:04:23 PM7/31/07
to story...@googlegroups.com
OK!

I'll take your name off, in addition to Tom;
Shall I remove you two as maintainers?
That way, you won't get "there's an email waiting to be moderated..."
messages whenever there's a post from outside.

If there's anyone on the list reading this who wants to
help and be a maintainer, just let me know, and I'll add
you to the maintainers list.

Take care,
Lion {:)}=

Tom Atlee

Jul 31, 2007, 11:10:06 PM7/31/07
to story...@googlegroups.com, story...@googlegroups.com
Yes, Lion, please take us both off as maintainers for now. As it is,
it requires I log into Google in order to give permissions, and I've
lost track of my Google login info, so it all gets complicated and
messy instead of just a quick OK. So I'm very happy to leave it up
to you two pioneers. Coheartedly, Tom

Peggy Holman

Aug 2, 2007, 12:06:23 AM8/2/07
to story...@googlegroups.com
Yes, please do remove me as a maintainer. I'll let Tom speak for himself on
this. I'm glad that you're willing to take that on!

apprecatively,