FW: Clergy Letter Project Update

Frank Dunn

Oct 10, 2007, 9:52:53 AM10/10/07
to story...@googlegroups.com
Friends,

This just came in my email.

Several years ago when Kansas once more was in an uproar over evolution vs. creationism, and when “intelligent design” became banded about, Zimmerman started a project to see how many clergy he could get to sign onto a letter essentially saying that there is no conflict between science and religion over evolution.  His aim is obviously to impress those who are confused about this.  I signed the letter several years ago.  Other than that, I have paid little attention to the project.

Since Storyfield, however, I have been reading more in evolutionist theory and am quite excited about the coherence of the evolution story as the fundamental narrative of human experience. I thought you might like to see that what we are working on, if you did not know already, is also what lots of other people are working on.

An aside comment.  I believe I was one of only two clergy, and one of only several “religious” functionaries at Storyfield, although my experience was that practically everyone at the conference had deeply spiritual and frequently religious interests.  I find it odd that this is so, and I frankly hope that as the storyfield effort unfolds it will change.  For one thing, an enormous amount of energy, for good or ill, in religious communities goes into storytelling and story-making.  My own commitment is to have an impact on the way my own religious community, on all levels, handles its story-making and storytelling tasks.

Frank