Logging latency and throughput

Tor Bonde

Dec 6, 2013, 9:00:23 AM12/6/13
to storm...@googlegroups.com
If I want to log certain metrics (like latency and throughput), what would be the best way of doing that?

I have thought of using hooks, but I'm not sure whether that's a bad idea. When I run a topology with several workers, will an assigned hook be instantiated multiple times as well? I'm worried that this could screw up my metrics.

Andrew Neilson

Dec 7, 2013, 3:41:47 PM12/7/13
to storm...@googlegroups.com
I've found this blog post by Patricio Echague helpful. It might give you some ideas too: http://blog.relateiq.com/monitoring-storm/

On Fri, Dec 6, 2013 at 6:00 AM, Tor Bonde <cimr...@gmail.com> wrote:
If I want to log certain metrics (like latency and throughput), what would be the best way of doing that?

I have thought of using hooks, but I'm not sure whether that's a bad idea. When I run a topology with several workers, will an assigned hook be instantiated multiple times as well? I'm worried that this could screw up my metrics.

Otis Gospodnetic

Dec 12, 2013, 1:35:30 AM12/12/13
to storm...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

We've added Storm monitoring to SPM - see https://twitter.com/sematext .  It will be out next week.

Otis
Solr & Elasticsearch Support * http://sematext.com/

Tor Bonde

Dec 12, 2013, 6:59:59 AM12/12/13
to storm...@googlegroups.com
That looks really interesting. Will there be an example on the webpage of monitoring Storm? I'm looking forward to trying it out!

Vladimir Tretyakov

Dec 12, 2013, 12:31:08 PM12/12/13
to storm...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

   There are few  screenshots of future "SPM for Storm" tool, there will also CG, Network, CPU, Memory and other metrics for Nimbus process.
   I hope we will have this monitoring tool after 20 Dec in public access, see http://www.sematext.com/spm/

Best Regards, Vladimir.