Nimbus goes out of memory

Kiran

Dec 12, 2013, 3:16:46 PM12/12/13
to storm...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

    I see that storm nimbus goes out memory during internal security scan. This renders any process monitors on our end ineffective. I had seen a earlier discussion which mentioned it was due to malformed request being sent on the thrift port.

Is there fix available for this, or is there a way to quit the JVM . I am using storm version : 0.8.3

For now i am planning to use -XX:OnOutOfMemoryError="kill -9 %p”. Has anyone already tried this out ?

Please advice.

Thanks.

P. Taylor Goetz

Dec 12, 2013, 3:41:34 PM12/12/13
to storm...@googlegroups.com
What is the security scan doing?

Is there a way to configure the scan to stay away from the nimbus host and thrift port?

- Taylor

signature.asc

P. Taylor Goetz

Dec 12, 2013, 3:52:32 PM12/12/13
to storm...@googlegroups.com, d...@storm.incubator.apache.org
(adding dev@)

We should probably add a JIRA ticket for this. Probably fairly high priority since being able to DOS nimbus with ssh is kind of a big hole.

Cassandra had this issue and they were able to fix it: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-475

I’ll take a look at what they did and see if there is something we could do along those lines.

- Taylor
signature.asc

Kiran

Dec 12, 2013, 4:53:32 PM12/12/13
to storm...@googlegroups.com, d...@storm.incubator.apache.org

Great! Thanks Taylor. Actually, I was referring to this thread

We cant provide much information about the process. But it basically involves sending some random packets to check for vulnerabilities. It would be a tough process to get the security group add exceptions..

Thanks,
Kiran