News Bulletin -May 16, 2018

Stop Trafficking

May 16, 2018, 5:26:07 AM5/16/18
to stoptraf

                                                                                                                                                                                                   Date : May 16, 2018

Man arrested for sexually abusing two

Delhi: A 32-year-old woman was allegedly sexually harassed by a man in Vijay Vihar on Tuesday morning. The accused then went on to repeat the act with another minor girl, when the woman caught and thrashed him. The accused, Rohit, was arrested and a case under appropriate sections has been registered, police said. The woman, in her complaint, told police that the incident occurred in Sector 5 when she had gone out for some work. She was walking when Rohit came close to her, unzipped, and rubbed himself against her. By the time she realised what had happened, she saw him do the same to another minor girl.

More ...

Investigation into missing girl exposes human trafficking racket

Bengaluru: While investigating the case of a missing person — a 16-year-old girl from Munnekolalu, Marathahalli — city police stumbled on a prostitution racket that was centred in New Delhi and involved a peon at a sub-registrar’s office in Bengaluru. While the kingpin and an associate eluded a team of Marathahalli police in Delhi, cops nabbed four persons including the peon. A charge sheet was filed in March and a hunt is on for the others. Police found that the teenaged girl was allegedly lured by the peon, identified by sleuths as K Shivashankar alias Raju, 30, a resident of Bangarpet, Kolar district, on the pretext of landing her a job in Delhi. Shivashankar sold the girl to Kajal, the woman who runs the brothel in Delhi and the main accused in the case, for Rs 70,000 and Kajal forced the 16-year-old into prostitution.

More ...

Trafficking victims script success story with bakery in Chhattisgarh town

FOR NINE years, she was one of the many girls who went missing. Born to Adivasi parents in a village in tribal-dominated Jashpur district, where trafficking has always been a problem, she left home at the age of 13. There was no money at home, and a local middlemen had promised a steady income to the girl and her parents. They had thought their daughter would be paid, and would visit them often. But she found herself working in homes where she was constantly abused, paid very little, with no contact with the outside world. Until one day, in the beginning of 2017, she found a way to escape. A year-and-a-half later, she stands beaming almost as brightly as her red uniform, a proud member of a self-help group of victims of human trafficking who now run their own self-sustaining bakery in a small town in Jashpur district. “I wasn’t allowed to go out of the house where I found myself working in Dehradun. There was lots of abuse, and no way to get in touch with my family. The only entertainment was that I was allowed to watch television sometimes. One day I watched a show called ‘Savdhaan India’, where someone said that if you dial the number 100, the police come. I took someone’s phone, and dialled the number, and told them about how I was mistreated and abused. I was rescued. And now I’m here,” said the 22-year-old.

More ...

Child trafficking racket- Accused applies for discharge

A 37-year-old businessman, who was arrested in connection with a human trafficking case where at least 17 minors were sent to European countries, has on Monday filed for discharge in the case. The main accused Hemang Modi has also recently filed a bail application. As per the prosecution’s case, Modi, his wife Harsha and their four accomplices allegedly submitted fabricated documents with Mumbai’s Regional Passport Office and obtained passports in the name of Sarang Modi, Mahi Modi, Hetal Modi and Sandesh Modi. With the help of these passports and that of Harsha’s, eight boys and nine girls – all minors – along with four women travelled abroad on different dates between 2013 and 2017. The prosecution has alleged that five different women have travelled abroad on Harsha’s passport and four of them did not return to India.

More ...

Doctors arrest for botched abortion leads to child trafficking racket in Tamil Nadu, Andhra Pradesh

Chennai: The arrest of a doctor earlier this week for a botched abortion that resulted in the death of a 24-year-old woman has led officials to a human trafficking racket involving the sale of babies from unwanted pregnancies. When the district police detained Selvamba Rajkumar for the bungled abortion that cost Lakshmi Manigandan her life in Vazhapadi, a panchayat town 30km east of Salem, she had a tip to offer A middle-aged man (name and details withheld) in Chittoor, Andhra Pradesh, acted as a broker in a child trafficking racket, she said. Officials from AP, Tamil Nadu and the Union health ministry confronted the man on Thursday and he admitted to working as a go-between for doctors, pregnant women and childless couples. Flipping under pressure, the middleman cut a deal to be an approver, a Union health ministry official said. The man described a well-oiled network of doctors and brokers involved in fetal gender determination, illegal abortions and sale of babies.

More ...

Download

Download

Funding Opportunity (Women & Child Development)
Useful Links

Contact Us at

Flat no. 4, 1st floor, Our Lady of Guia Building (RTO Building), Entrance from staircase next to Monginis
Vasco, Goa

+91-0832-2501416 (office)
+91-9422438109 (mobile)
E-mail: in...@stoptrafficking.in

This Newsletter is distributed by www.stoptrafficking.in (An initiative of Arz)

If you do not want to receive this mail in future, then please reply to this mail with the subject UNSUBSCRIBE