[StopTheWar] FW: How to use your vote against the war

Lambert, Emily

May 5, 2010, 4:54:51 AM5/5/10
to StoptheWa...@googlegroups.com
STOP THE WAR COALITION
NEWSLETTER No. 1151
Email off...@stopwar.org.uk
Tel: 020 7801 2768
Web: http://stopwar.org.uk
Twitter: http://twitter.com/STWuk

INTHIS NEWSLETTER
1) HOW TO USE YOUR VOTE AGAINST THE WAR
2) STOP ISLAMOPHOBIA: DEFEND THE MUSLIM COMMUNITY
3) FUND RAISING DRIVE: PLEASE GIVE GENEROUSLY

**********************************
1) HOW TO USE YOUR VOTE AGAINST THE WAR

Stop the war's lobbying database can help you decide how to
vote against the war in Thursday's election. Thousands of
people have used it to question their candidates on a range of
issues concerning the "war on terror".

Of those who replied so far, 17 per cent of Labour and 17 per
cent of Liberal Democrat candidates support our call for the
troops to come home. Many of the smaller parties have higher
pecentagesof candidates opposing the war. Not one
Conservative candidate has supported the call for the troops
to be withdarwn.

HOW TO LOBBY YOUR LOCAL ELECTION CANDIDATES
* Go to http://bit.ly/91ATZw
* Enter your post code
* Complete the survey (takes one or two minutes)

**********************************
2) STOP ISLAMOPHOBIA: DEFEND THE MUSLIM COMMUNITY
ONE DAY CONFERENCE SATURDAY 5 JUNE 10AM TO 5PM
CAMDEN CENTRE LONDON WC1H 9JE

Muslims are under attack on many fronts. Media demonisation,
pro-war propaganda , government surveillance, imprisonment of
Muslims peacefully protesting against Israel's invasion of
Gaza -- all have contributed to a sense that the whole
community is being scapegoated.

One result has been a frightening increase in physical attacks
on mosques and individuals.

Stop the War is organising a conference against Islamophobia,
alongside the British Muslim Initiative, to discuss how best
to campaign and organise against this growing threat.

The conference already has the support of a range of unions
and organisations including the National Union of
Journalists, UNITE, Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament,
Palestine Solidarity Campaign, the Islam Channel and a number
of Mosques.

Speakers include:
* Daud Abdullah, Muslim Council of Britain
* Mohammed Ali, Islam Channel
* Anas Al-Tikriti, British Muslim Initiative
* Tre Azam, ex of The Apprentice
* Moazzam Begg, former Guantanamo Bay prisoner
* Lindsey German, convenor Stop the War Coalition
* Muhammad Habibur-Rahman, vice-president Islamic Forum of
Europe
* Kate Hudson CND,
* Imran Khan solicitor,
* Dr Robert Lambert, former head of Scotland Yard's Muslim
Contact Unit
* Seumas Milne, journalist
* Peter Oborne, journalist
* Salma Yaqoob, Respect Party

TICKETS £5 OR £3 UNWAGED
Book Online: http://bit.ly/al64ru
Book by phone: 020 7801 2768

**********************************
3) FUND RAISING DRIVE: PLEASE GIVE GENEROUSLY

As well as taking the initiative for the conference against
Islamophobia, Stop the War will this Summer step up its
campaign against the war in Afghanistan. We are organising a
national tour of meetings starting in June.

We are also planning a range of publications and other
resources to help promote the anti-war case.

Stop the War's work is as necessary as at any time in our nine
year history, not least because the political establishment
has closed ranks to try and bury the issue of the war.

Stop the War has no rich sponsors and receives no grants. All
of our campaigning is funded by the support we get from our
network of supporters across the country.

To help fund our campaigning in the coming months, we are
launching a fund drive to raise £10,000 by the end of July and
we are urging our supporters to donate what they can.

How your donations can help: £100 pays for travel for one
stage of the Afghanistan speaking tour we are planning, £50
buys 2000 leaflets, £20 pays for 30 placards.

Please donate generously to the campaign. You can donate by
cheque, online, or on the phone.
ONLINE: http://bit.ly/APlKX
BY PHONE: 020 7801 2768
BY POST: Cheques made payable to "Stop the War Coalition" and
sent to Stop the War Coalition, 231 Vauxhall Bridge Road,
London UK, SW1V 1EH