[StopTheWar] No Meeting today! & Afghanistan war plans are in crisis

Lambert, Emily

Apr 20, 2010, 4:57:16 AM4/20/10
to StoptheWa...@googlegroups.com
Hi Everyone,
There will be no stop the war meeting today, due to the student elections
The next meeting will be NEXT week, Tuesday 27th April, 6pm. Here we'll have an AGM for the student stop the war society, where we'll decide on a president, secretary and treasurer for the next year. It would be great also if non-students come along, so we can make a start at getting Aberdeen stop the war active again

Will send out more details at the end of the week,
National news letter below!

STOP THE WAR COALITION
NEWSLETTER No. 1150
Email off...@stopwar.org.uk
Tel: 020 7801 2768
Web: http://stopwar.org.uk
Twitter: http://twitter.com/STWuk

IN THIS NEWSLETTER
1) AFGHANISTAN WAR PLANS ARE IN CRISIS
2) PROTEST AT THE PARTY LEADERS' TELEVISION DEBATE
3) YOU CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE IN 1-2 MINUTES
4) PUBLIC MEETINGS AND DEBATES AROUND THE COUNTRY
5) STOP ISLAMOPHOBIA CONFERENCE
6) PROTEST AT JOE GLENTON'S APPEAL THIS WEDNESDAY
7) HAVE YOU FILM OF 15 FEBUARY 2003 DEMONSTRATION?
8) VOLUNTEERS NEEDED AT STOP THE WAR OFFICE

*************************************
1) AFGHANISTAN WAR PLANS ARE IN CRISIS

The US-NATO war plans in Afghanistan are in crisis. Earlier
this month President Karzai failed in his US-prompted efforts
to get support from local leaders for a NATO attack on
Kandahar, which is planned for June 2010.

Now the Guardian has reported that the US military is
downgrading the offensive on Kandahar, describing it as an
operation to "change the political culture". This is no doubt
largely spin but reflects real concerns about a military
mobilisation promoted by the US army as decisive in turning
the tide against the Taliban and other forces opposing the US
occupation.

A survey, funded by the US Army in Kandahar province, revealed
that 94 percent of respondents supported negotiating with the
Taliban and reject military confrontation. Eighty-five percent
said they regarded the Taliban as "our Afghan brothers." (SEE
http://bit.ly/cZQJGH )

Not surprisingly, opposition to the war in Britain is
growing. Last weekend an opinion poll for the Independent on
Sunday showed that 77 per cent of people in this country want
the troops withdrawn from Afghanistan, the highest figure
since the war began in 2001. (SEE http://bit.ly/d9srfQ )

The same survey showed that 50 per cent believe the presence
of US troops in Afghanistan makes UK streets less safe from
terrorist attack, thereby rejecting the main justification
Gordon Brown gives for Britain supporting the US-led war.

These figures explain the scandalous silence on Afghanistan by
all three main parties in the run up to the election. But at
last, the media is taking note of Stop the War's campaign to
break this silence.

The front page of yesterday's Independent on Sunday had the
headline "Don't Mention the War" and more pages inside covered
the reluctance of Labour, Conservatives and Liberal Democrats
to address the issue. (SEE http://bit.ly/d9srfQ )

Earlier in the week, Johann Hari in the Independent wrote
about "the shameful, bloody silence at the heart of the
election" (SEE http://bit.ly/dgMorJ ) and the Guardian's
Seumas Milne wrote in a similar vein.

The second television debate between Gordon Brown, David
Cameron and Nick Clegg, takes place this Thursday. The topic
is foreign policy, making it impossible for the party leaders
to ignore Afghanistan. Stop the War is organising a protest
outside the venue in Bristol.

We are encouraging all our supporters to get involved in Stop
the War's campaign to raise the profile of the war in this
election. Everyone can participate by using our online
Election Candidates Survey (see below).

*************************************
2) PROTEST AT THE PARTY LEADERS' TELEVISION DEBATE

Stop the War has called a protest outside the Bristol venue of
the next televised leadership debate, which will cover foreign
policy. The local Stop the War group is urging supporters from
across the West Country to join the protest.

PROTEST AT PARTY LEADERS' TELEVISION DEBATE
THURSDAY 22 APRIL 5.30PM ONWARDS
ARNOLFINI CENTRE, NARROW QUAY,
BRISTOL, BS1 4QA Map: http://bit.ly/crFK2D

*************************************
3) YOU CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE IN 1-2 MINUTES

Everyone can participate in Stop the War's campaign to raise
the profile of Afghanistan in this election.

Our online Election Candidates Survey enables everyone to
question their local candidates as to whether they support the
war in Afghanistan. In its first week the survey has had a
staggering response, generating over 6000 emails. Hundreds of
candidates have already responded, giving their views on
Afghanistan and related issues, which we are posting on our
website.

If you haven't yet used the survey to lobby the candidates in
your constituency, please do so now (HERE
http://bit.ly/91ATZw), and get your family, friends, work or
study colleagues to do the same.

When you get replies from the candidates, forward them to Stop
the War for us to collate and publish online.

HOW TO LOBBY YOUR LOCAL ELECTION CANDIDATES
* Go to enter http://bit.ly/91ATZw
* Enter your post code
* Complete the survey (takes one or two minutes)

*************************************
4) PUBLIC MEETINGS AND DEBATE AROUND THE COUNTRY

More than 30 local Stop the War groups have organised public
meetings and debates, and are leafleting and petitioning to
raise the profile of the war in this election. (For updates on
local meetings, SEE http://bit.ly/crQiHe ).

*************************************
5) STOP ISLAMOPHOBIA CONFERENCE

DEFEND THE MUSLIM COMMUNITY
A ONE DAY CONFERENCE
SATURDAY 5 JUNE, 10 AM TO 5PM
CAMDEN CENTRE, LONDON WC1H 9JE
Called by Stop the War Coalition and British Muslim
Initiative.

Muslims are under attack in this country as never before.
Government policies and the media combine to create an
atmosphere in which all Muslims are portrayed as reactionary
and anti-western.

Young Muslims in particular are subject to surveillance in
colleges, schools and mosques in the name of combating
"extremism". Those who exercise their right to demonstrate
peacefully have been subject to arrest and heavy sentencing.
Meanwhile the racist "defence leagues" have been focussing
their attacks on Muslim communities, with provocative marches
in towns and cities inciting racial hatred and bigotry.

From its founding in 2001, Stop the War has been committed to
combating racism. We recognise that Islamophobia is a direct
consequence of the "war on terror". We believe it is vital
that the anti-war movement acts in conjunction with other
campaigns and organisations to stem its tide.

The conference Defend the Muslim Community on Saturday 5 June,
organised by Stop the War and the British Muslim Initiative,
will bring together a wide range of opinion united in concern
over the escalating demonisation of Muslims in our society.

Speakers already confirmed include journalist Peter Oborne,
Salma Yaqoob from the Respect Party, Dr Robert Lambert, former
head of Scotland Yard's Muslim Contact Unit, Daud Abdullah
from the Muslim Council of Britain and Mohammed Ali from the
Islam Channel.

More speakers will be announced as they are confirmed.
Publicity materials and tickets for the conference will be
available soon.

*************************************
6) PROTEST AT JOE GLENTON'S APPEAL THIS WEDNESDAY
Lawyers representing Joe Glenton, the soldier who refused to
return to Afghanistan, are lodging an appeal against his long
sentence. (SEE http://bit.ly/aO7SwH )

The appeal will be heard in London this Wednesday 21 April.

Stop the War is organising a protest in support of Joe outside
the court at 9.30 am. We will be calling for Joe to be
released immediately. If you live in London, please join us if
you can.

PROTEST AT JOE GLENTON'S APPEAL HEARING
CALLING FOR HIS IMMEDIATE RELEASE
WEDNESDAY 21 APRIL 9.30AM
ROYAL COURTS OF JUSTICE
STRAND, LONDON WC2

*************************************
7) HAVE YOU FILM OF 15 FEBUARY 2003 DEMONSTRATION?

February 15 2003 was a momentous day, when two million
protestors gathered in London to oppose the Iraq war. There
are two documentary production teams developing films to
portray this unique event. The producers of these films are
looking for any footage on video or film taken by participants
on that historic day. If you have any and would like to make
it available to the filmmakers, please contact the Stop the
War office: off...@stopwar.org.uk or call 020 7801 2768

8) VOLUNTEERS NEEDED AT STOP THE WAR OFFICE

Due to the huge response to our online Election Candidates
Survey (see above) the Stop the War national office needs
volunteers to help process data as we post details of
candidates responses on our website. Our office is situated
close to Victoria Station, London. If you have any time to
spare and would like to help out, please contact us:
off...@stopwar.org.uk or call 020 7801 2768