Spacedoc Newsletter ~ January 26, 2010

Fran

Jan 26, 2010, 9:27:07 PM1/26/10
to stopped.our.statins
Spacedoc Newsletter
January 26, 2010

Two articles this week by Laurence D. Chalem, a type 1 diabetic, who
has researched and written about diabetes for the last decade. In his
most recent book, Essential Diabetes Leadership, Laurence investigates
the literature of the last three centuries in search of an optimal
treatment of diabetes.

The first article is titled, "The Food Pyramid Revisited:
http://www.spacedoc.net/food_pyramid_revisited
He (Laurence) writes:
"As I wrote in my first book, the food pyramid presented by the United
States Department of Agriculture ( USDA ) is quite a good guide for
diabetics, if you turn it upside down. And if you forgo fruits, whole
grains, starches, and fat-free milk products. As a function of energy,
each meal should be comprised of 50%-65% fat, 25%-35% protein, with as
little carbohydrates as can be achieved."

The second article by Laurence Chalem is Transcending Diabetes:
http://www.spacedoc.net/diabetes_managed
He (Laurence) writes:
"To transcend diabetes requires reduced carbohydrate consumption to
near zero, with emphasis on a combination of fat and protein. It is
orders of magnitude less complex, less worrisome, and less risky than
counting carbohydrates and matching it with doses of bolus insulin."

What Should Your Cholesterol Be?

Dr Graveline - creamYou may recall that years ago a total cholesterol
of 240 was not considered anything to worry about - anything under 300
was no big deal. Then this upper limit of normal was reduced
progressively to 240, then 220, then 200 and I no longer am certain of
the lower value, it keeps changing so often.

What Should Your Cholesterol Be?

Obviously if you place the target level low enough everyone must fall
into the need to be treated group.
With these new levels, if 10mg or 20 mg of a statin fails to produce
the desired effect you up the ante to 40, 60 or even 80 mg until the
target is reached, hence "treat to target".

http://www.spacedoc.net/what_should_your_cholesterol_be

Duane Graveline MD MPH
Former USAF Flight Surgeon
Former NASA Astronaut
Retired Family Doctor

Books by Dr Duane Graveline MD MPH
"The Statin Damage Crisis" by Dr. Duane Graveline MD

Books:
Dr Graveline's third book on statins called "The Statin Damage Crisis"
is now available.

Originally planned as a new edition to "Statin Drugs Side Effects," it
has been released as a stand alone title so that the highly relevant
material in "SDSE" will still be available.

Dr Graveline wrote the following introduction to this latest title:

Early on my NASA doctors told me my amnesia response to statins was
nothing but a coincidence but I persevered to write my first book,
"Lipitor, Thief of Memory" and now find that over 1,000 cases of
amnesia and memory loss have been reported to the FDA, just from
Lipitor alone.

Then I learned of statin damage to nerves and muscles and profound
behavioral and personality changes, demanding I write a second book,
"Statin Drugs Side Effects." Even this broadly encompassing book was
insufficient to describe what I have learned more recently of the
truly dark side of statins - their ability to alter the very fabric of
our makeup.

I had long wondered why muscle and nerve damage seemed permanent and
even progressive like my own ALS-like condition. Now I have found that
the ultimate effect of statins on CoQ10 and dolichols is to damage the
DNA of the mitochondrial life - force within our cells - mitochondrial
mutation masquerading as premature old age.

Duane Graveline MD MPH
Former USAF Flight Surgeon, Former NASA Astronaut, Retired Family
Doctor

Visit the books page:
http://www.spacedoc.net/books_graveline

View newsletters from the past 12 months:
Newsletter Archive
http://www.spacedoc.net/newsletter.php
Statements on spacedoc.net are those of the credited author of the
article or message and the expressed opinions are not necessarily
those of the site owners, operators, developers, or host.
Articles and messages on this site are for information purposes only
and should not be used to diagnose or treat any illness, disease, or
other medical condition.
Natural products and any claims made about specific products in this
newsletter and on the site have not been evaluated by the United
States Food and Drug Administration and are not intended to diagnose,
treat, cure or prevent disease.
Always consult with a qualified medical professional before making
medication, supplement, exercise, or lifestyle changes or decisions.
Note that no personal medical questions of any kind can or will be
answered.

Newsletter Admin
http://www.spacedoc.net/newsletter.php
Edited version for posting on SOS Google Group