Hackintosh For Mac Os X

Deny Debwany

Jul 4, 2024, 12:36:29 PM (14 hours ago) Jul 4
to stopnertioflex

Whether it's worth it or not really comes down to how difficult it is to get a hackintosh install (Kalyway / iATKOS) running on your PC. With some PCs it's trivial and everything works. For others it's a nightmare and your networking/audio/graphics will never work completely. If you need to run a patched kernel (e.g. you don't have an Intel Core 2 Duo chipset) things become really awkward.

Assuming you get everything working the only future concern is software updates. iPhone SDKs generally require the very latest OSX update (e.g. 10.5.6), but installing updates on hackintoshes with patched kernels is a nightmare.

It's possible. But you are restricted to the choice of hardware for the hackintosh. Even if you get it right, no one can guarantee everything will work (sound, lan, etc.). If you can run the OS, you can run xcode with the SDK. But I don't think you'll be 100% satisfied with the end result.

I was in this dilemma recently, and decided to go with a real Mac rather than a Hackintosh after hearing the stories of my friend (who is doing it specifically for iPhone development). He was able to get iPhone development working, but his hackintosh is always having one issue or another; the most recent one was a constant boot cycling, wherein the machine would immediately reboot after loading the OS.

Look on the bright side: Apple products are popular and easy to sell. If you get one and sell it before the next generation comes out you can get most of your money back - money that would have been spent anyways on a new hard drive (to quarantine your hackintosh, heh) or OSX (assuming you meant to get the software in at least a remotely legal fashion).

On a $10 P4 2.4GHz, 1GB RAM, hackintosh works fine and xcode/iphone sdk works as well. Its a little slow, but stable, and a very viable option for someone looking to just test the water of iphone development, without committing the cash.

Unrelated subjects and memes are not allowed in this subreddit. This sub is mainly for help and information sharing about hackintoshing. The mods reserve the right to remove any post that is of low quality or unrelated to the subreddit.

AMD USERS READ THIS: While it may be more work, the AMD hackintosh scene has gotten quite a bit easier. Do note we're primarily an intel subreddit but feel free to ask questions relating to AMD based systems. (AMD Laptops and AMD integrated GPUs are unsupported)

Pre-Built EFI NOTE: We provide minimal to no support for Pre-Built EFIs from GitHub, Hackintosher and such due to generally being heavily outdated, poorly made and users not knowing what their hackintoshes are doing. You may still ask for help but please be prepared to remake your EFI from scratch following the Vanilla Guide

UniBeast and Multibeast NOTE: Unfortunately we do not support the use of beast tools due to being closed sourced, can modify macOS files and users largely not know what these tools are doing(more info here). You will be requested to restart your installation following the Vanilla guide to properly learn hackintoshing or face public humiliation and be stuck with your broken Hackintosh

I have a friend who has never owned a Mac. He has just built a "hackintosh" by installing VMWare on his PC running Windows, and downloading a pirated, hacked copy of Mac OS X Yosemite in a portable VMWare virtual machine volume from somewhere online.

Now he's hitting me up for help doing further hacks to make his "hackintosh" behave exactly like a real Mac. He's asked me to run a Terminal script on my Macintosh to output my UUID, MLB (Main Logic Board serial number) and ROM values from my real Macintosh so he can clone these identifying numbers to his "hackintosh" volume.

The mere fact that Apple claims that creating a hackintosh violates the DMCA, and that their EULA is an enfoceable contract, does not make either so. There are rulings in their favor from the Psystar case, but it is not clear whether those rulings apply to end-users or only to companies like Psystar who were reselling hackintoshes.

I am not a lawyer, but I think that in most countries breach of contract and small-scale non-commercial copyright infringement are civil wrongs rather than crimes, so perhaps "illegal" is not the right word to describe your friend's use of a hackintosh.

Probably the most relevant case to answer that question is not a EULA case, but Apple vs. Psystar. Apple has successfully shut down the hackintosh company Psystar by claiming not only that they violated Apple's EULA (which is kind of a gray zone as demonstrated above), but also violated Apple's copyright by installing OS X on non-Apple computers. Copyright law is a veritable jungle in the United States, but I would think that this case sets the precedent that hackintoshes are a violation of copyright.

I'm a long time Mac user but very new to hackintosh. I skipped bare metal and dived into VFIO hackintosh right away. Google landed me on this page. I just created an account to express my appreciation that someone finally figured out the 'Penryn legend' in the land of KVM hackintosh! I believe my VM is more functional that before. For example, FMA3 instructions are rightly recognised and used by applications.

When my 2012 MacBook Pro crashed on me about a month ago, it ended up being a cheap/simple problem, but it was the scare I needed to dive into the world of hackintoshing. I had absolutely no experience or knowledge about computer building before I started.

In saying all that, if you are just wanting to run with it for personal projects, I'd say go for it. Like I said, mine has been stable. The only piece of advice I'd give is to be very careful with updating. Everytime you update the OS of a hackintosh you risk a kernal panic. Same even with Avid. I'm still on 6.0 because I'm a bit nervous to upgrade it while I still have a few projects on here. BTW, Pro-tools install gave me a kernal panic and I had to do some single user command line stuff to remove the kext (drivers) it put in place.

However, I decided to walk the dark and twisted path of hackintosh in pursuit of better performance in Photoshop. Just getting a 2017 MacBook Pro out of our IT department required moderate arm twisting, but its Kaby Lake processor left me pulling my hair out. Plus I was in need of a new personal laptop, so I thought: this is a project I can waste a weekend on.

One thing that has always been true is that, at the upper end, it almost always makes more sense to just buy a MacBook Pro. With modern hackintosh you download the seeds and grow the fruit yourself, but for most people just buying the fruit makes more sense. In this strained metaphor the fruit is a nice laptop that runs macOS. You get it.

my first hackintosh was a little bit rough - it was a pretty specific machine with some "weird" hardware (like gps & 3g - stuff that no mac ever had) - a sony vaio p11z. my second one was a eee pc 1005ha, made it without all the "netbook maker" stuff - i searched for the kext files for the hardware and it worked, the only thing that wasn't warking was the wifi card, but i replaced it with a original apple card. the third and last one was the easiest one. i have a aopen digital engine and i only connected a cloned macbook hdd to the machine, booted from the chameleon usb drive and started the computer from the hdd - i didn't change any files and it wroked. after that i installed chameleon on the hdd and that was it - a tiny mac with hdmi, 2 vga and all the funny stuff that can be build in from original macbooks (IR,BT, super drive, wi fi..)

I've tried building a hackintosh using snow leopard a few times and always found it complicated and time consuming. My last attempt actually worked but I didn't have the right video drivers and I could get any of the built in software to work... so it sucked.

aa06259810