The Governor's veto

Saul Tannenbaum

Jul 14, 2013, 1:32:31 PM7/14/13
to stop-ethanol-train...@googlegroups.com
I've written up my thoughts on the Governor's veto here:

http://cctvcambridge.org/EthanolTrains6

I think we need to acknowledge a couple of things.

First, while the Chapter 91 license prohibition would have stopped ethanol trains in greater Boston, it would have done nothing for the trains that would continue to run from NY through Worcester and down to Providence to be loaded onto barges. The Governor's proposal at least does something for them.

Second, the Governor has opened the door to discussion who pays for mitigation. It's a confusing sort of opening, telling MEMA to develop a mechanism to get "rail entities" to pay, but also telling agencies and municipalities to get federal grants. But it's an opening that should be seized.

We also need to recognize that this is a vulnerable time for the ethanol industry. Perhaps we shold start a campaign to get Senators Warren and Markey to co-sponsor the repeal of the ethanol mandate. Without the mandate, the ethanol industry could tumble like a hose of cards, solving everybody's ethanol problem.

- Saul