Fwd: Picket @ tomorrow's Dem convention? Link with Quebec?

Alexandra Kepner

Jul 12, 2013, 4:42:15 PM7/12/13
to stop-ethanol-train...@googlegroups.com, eth...@chelseacreekaction.org

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Charlene Smith
Date: Friday, July 12, 2013
Subject: Picket @ tomorrow's Dem convention? Link with Quebec?
To: Alexandra Kepner <alix....@gmail.com>

It is too late to contact journalists BUT if there are folk that can demonstrate tomorrow, and it does not need to be many, it will DEFINITELY be picked up by the media, esp. TV which is what you want because
(a) they will be at the convention
&
(b) they will be looking for new angles & this is it - links to Quebec should be made clear by any who demonstrate. If someone texts me on my mobile, below, I will come out & join them for a time & try & bring others.

At this stage of the game Global has been winning the media war.  It's very last minute but if there are good folk who can take this up that would be amazing.

Charlene Smith
Cambridge, MA - United States of America
Landline  (00-1) 617-714-3414

Award winning writer, broadcaster, & television producer. Authorized biographer Nelson Mandela.

Member of American Society of Journalists and Authors
Author's Guild

On Fri, Jul 12, 2013 at 4:13 PM, Alexandra Kepner <alix....@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi, Charlene--

Actually, the Chelsea Creek Action Committee has been doing much more that talking on e-mail.  They've been working extremely hard for the past two years drafting and lobbying for the amendment that Gov. Patrick just vetoed.  They have actively reached out to all sorts of media over this period of time, and there's been some very good local coverage (e.g., Saul Tannenbaum at CCTV, Marc Levy at CambridgeDay.com, Jeremy Fox at the Boston Globe, Steve Annear at Boston Magazine, and Erin Baldasari at the Cambridge Chronicle).  This Google group was set up very late in the game, mainly as a way for us to share this information with each other and organize ourselves for actions that could help get the ethanol amendment passed into law.

If you have good contacts on the national media stage, I'm sure we'd all greatly appreciate any outreach you could make on behalf of this issue.  If people are able to go demonstrate at tomorrow's convention in Lowell, it sounds like it would be a productive thing to do.

Thanks,

--Alix

On Friday, July 12, 2013, Charlene Smith wrote:
This is a national issue and the reason this is not getting publicity is because everyone is talking on email.

Is it possible to have some sort of demonstration at the Democratic Convention tomorrow? That would definitely get the sort of media publicity needed (my background is as a journalist, so I know what we look for) and apply pressure to the Governor. It's a hot topic at the moment with the Quebec disaster.

I unfortunately am a delegate tomorrow so can't demonstrate, although I will raise it at the convention.